X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clumping platelets
    • Jun 2024

Clump's Bills' Mock on KFFL

Win your fantasy football league with The Huddle's award-winning fantasy football cheat sheets, rankings, sleepers and insider tools.

On KFFL my username is rabal

Pre-draft assumptions: Tom Donahoe addresses concerns at LB via FA and retains our key FAs. Draft focus on depth and team speed.

Guarantee: Bills do NOT qualify for compensation picks this season

1st rd: Pick to NE for some guy named Bledsoe

2nd rd: CB Eugene Wilson (Illinois) 5'11" 185

Thoughts: My first choice would have been DE Haynes from Penn St. However, in April, he's likely to be a mid to late #1. He's an all-around DE and has the size to be an every down DE. That being said, I chose CB Wilson because really have depth concerns after Winfield and Clements. Granted, the lack of a consistent pass rush hinders DC Gray, but as a former GM here used to say "You can never have too many good CBs" and I concur. Again, depending on team needs going into the draft, it's likely that Wilson will not be available when the Bills pick, but in this mock, I felt he was clearly the best player available (BPA) and similar to the Josh Reed pick, represented true value as well as filling a legitimate need.

3rd rd: C Bruce Nelson (Iowa) 6'4" 305

Thoughts: I was hoping that LB D.J. Williams would be available once attempts to trade up were fruitless. I also attempted to trade down and add another 4th because of all the QBs still available. I also considered TE Robert Johnson of Auburn, but felt that I could draft a decent TE in rd 4, depending on what other players were available. I chose C Nelson because after watching him 4 or 5 times this year, that he was dominant in the middle of the OL. Bills' have depth concerns on the interior OL. Conaty is an UFA and I feel that Nelson is an upgrade over a physically limited Conaty. This also gives the Bills' more versatility on the OL as Nelson can play G as well.

4th rd: TE Dallas Clark (Iowa) 6'4" 255

Thoughts: I believe, unfortunately, that it is a foregone conclusion that Jay Riemersma and his $3.5 million salary are gone at the end of the season. His productivity doesn't support such a salary. Maybe he will be willing to restructure and/or extend his deal, but I feel he will seek his fortunes elsewell. That being said, I felt Dallas Clark was an outstanding 4th rd pick and represented solid value at that point. He's primarily a receiving TE but is a willing blocker, something that can be taught.

Mock ends

Projection of later rds

5th-7th rds: Look primarily towards upgrading speed on special teams with players that can also help depth. LB and S would lead the pack but also a young RB wouldn't hurt because Bryson is UFA and Morris is RFA. Morris is likely to receive minimum tender and would only yield a 5th rd pick, thus he would be an attractive RFA to teams needing RB help. A DL prospect that is versatile or even a tall WR to help in the redzone and help to knock "Hail Mary's" down LOL

This is my first mock and I'm likely to do many more. I'll get y'all updated :)

• SABURZFAN
    short bus extraordinaire
    • Jul 2002

no DL help???they good ones must have got taken.
    Originally posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Read my assumptions in the first post

Comment

• venis2k1
        Youboty can hope
        • Jul 2002

what do you think of DT Colin Cole out of Iowa, he is my prediction for what we use or 2nd rounder for.

Comment

• clumping platelets

His stock has been rising and 2nd rd wouldn't be too high as of now. I just think that TD will address concerns on D via FA because that would potentially make the D better sooner and thus make the team more competitive overall. The lack of a #1 really makes the 2003 draft one for depth as opposed to a quick fix

Comment

• German
            It doesn't make me any less of a man.
            • Jul 2002

Morning Clump,

I have a question. How do you see our RB core for next year.
            Bryson and Morris are FA's next year, right?

Do you think there's a chance of them bringing Curtis Alexander back?

Comment

• venis2k1
              Youboty can hope
              • Jul 2002

I would guess morris coming back, maybe Bryson depending on what he wants. As for CA i wouldn't look for this guy to make too big of an impact on the team if we did bring him back.

Comment

• Winfield_26
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Why a CB in round 2??

Also I like Boss Bailey in round 2 to fall to us, maybe Tony Gilbert is rd 3.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• CalBillsFan
                  • Jul 2002

you know the season is over when...mock drafts start to appear on the site.

And now the 4 month wait for the draft begins
                  Originally posted by paladin warrior
                  RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• iceblizzard69
                    Doh!
                    • Jul 2002

I think the Bills have to many holes to fill to draft a nickel back with their first pick. I think they have other bigger concerns. We took a nickel back with our first rounder in 2000 but it was because that was the position that just killed us. You guys really need help at OLB and the defensive line.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

agree with ice.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Winfield_26
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Boss Bailey anyone??
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

If Ice and Tatonka will go back and reread Clumps first few posts you will see he assumes those more immediate needs will be filled via free agents. You can disagree with his assumptions if you want, but if one accepts them, depth at DB is a reasonable place to go with a second round pick. Hey, Clumpy, if your mock goes past round four, keep a lookout for Ryan Hoag, WR from Gustavus Adolphus College. He's got size, speed, athleticism, a great attitude and is said to be more developed than his Division III pedigree would lead one to expect. I'm assuming Price bolts the Bills for free agency and the Bills need to pick up a developmental project at WR.
                          Last edited by TigerJ; 12-09-2002, 12:38 PM.
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by Winfield_26
                            Why a CB in round 2??

Also I like Boss Bailey in round 2 to fall to us, maybe Tony Gilbert is rd 3.

Did you READ the first post? Did you look at the players already taken when I picked?

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by German
                              Morning Clump,

I have a question. How do you see our RB core for next year.
                              Bryson and Morris are FA's next year, right?

Do you think there's a chance of them bringing Curtis Alexander back?
                              Bryson: His injury history makes him a much easier re-sign. He will receive no more than the league minimum with incentives. Bills could re-sign him, but I would only do so if he's still UFA at the start of training camp, but prefer Bills draft a young RB

Morris: As I stated in the first post, he's likely to receive minimum qualifying offer for RFA and the compensation would be only a 5th. He could be an attractive addition for a team needing a solid #2 RB and competition in the backfield. I want him to stay!

Alexander: Most likely not in the Bills future

Comment

Working...
                              X