X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Clump I have a Cap Question

Regarding Rookie contracts. I thought I read that you said rookie contracts DON'T count against the 2005 cap, is this true? What I mean is, the 2 million we have in space right now, does TD have to save some of that for the draft, or not?

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is a repeat question, I'm too lazy to do a search.

FL
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
    Regarding Rookie contracts. I thought I read that you said rookie contracts DON'T count against the 2005 cap, is this true? What I mean is, the 2 million we have in space right now, does TD have to save some of that for the draft, or not?

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is a repeat question, I'm too lazy to do a search.

FL
    obviously rookie contracts do not count until they are signed because they have no value...once they are signed they go against the cap if that player has one of the top 51 cap numbers (before final cut down) or makes the final roster. also, because a team has 51 players under contract then they only need be under the salary cap by $1. if they only have, say, 37 players under contract then that team must have room under the cap for their rookie pool.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ebenezer
      obviously rookie contracts do not count until they are signed because they have no value...once they are signed they go against the cap if that player has one of the top 51 cap numbers (before final cut down) or makes the final roster. also, because a team has 51 players under contract then they only need be under the salary cap by $1. if they only have, say, 37 players under contract then that team must have room under the cap for their rookie pool.
      I understand they don't count until they are signed. The rest, I don't have the faintest clue.

So, if the Bills don't have 51 players signed by draft day, then they have to have more than $1 in cap space? If they have 51 players signed, all they need is a buck? Also, how do these salaries fit under th cap if a team is only under by a dollar?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I honestly don't understand.

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

I understand they don't count until they are signed. The rest, I don't have the faintest clue.

So, if the Bills don't have 51 players signed by draft day, then they have to have more than $1 in cap space? If they have 51 players signed, all they need is a buck? Also, how do these salaries fit under th cap if a team is only under by a dollar?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I honestly don't understand.
        you are reading it correctly...let me finish the story...if they are under by $1 with at least 51 players signed then they can draft. when they sign the draftees then they have to free up the money to stay under the cap...

if a team doesn't have 51 players signed they must enough space under the cap to match their alloted rookie pool (the league determines that before the draft)...I don't know if a team ever went into the draft with less than 51 players (Baltimore one year, maybe).

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by Ebenezer
          you are reading it correctly...let me finish the story...if they are under by $1 with at least 51 players signed then they can draft. when they sign the draftees then they have to free up the money to stay under the cap...

if a team doesn't have 51 players signed they must enough space under the cap to match their alloted rookie pool (the league determines that before the draft)...I don't know if a team ever went into the draft with less than 51 players (Baltimore one year, maybe).
          Ex: A team has only 45 players signed, that team must have rookie minimum salary x 6 players ($230,000 x 6) salary cap space to draft. If they don't they must basically get rid of the picks by trading picks away to move up or future picks.

Rookie pool allocation is not assigned until after the draft because that amt of $$$ depends on no. of picks, which rds, and what position in each rd.

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
            Ex: A team has only 45 players signed, that team must have rookie minimum salary x 6 players ($230,000 x 6) salary cap space to draft. If they don't they must basically get rid of the picks by trading picks away to move up or future picks.

Rookie pool allocation is not assigned until after the draft because that amt of $$$ depends on no. of picks, which rds, and what position in each rd.
            my bad...forgot about movement of draft picks.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

Ok I think I get it. So, no matter what, TD has to fit any draft picks under the cap, there is no "extra" room allocated for draft picks.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Ok I think I get it. So, no matter what, TD has to fit any draft picks under the cap, there is no "extra" room allocated for draft picks.
                Yes, the 1st yr cap hits of all draft choices must be less than the rookie pool.

This is why the rookie pool is sometimes described as a cap within a cap.

Comment

Working...
                X