PDA

View Full Version : Not Optimistic about 2005

BillsFanInPgh
03-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Someone please help me have a little bit of hope. I can't see the Bills winning more than 7 games this season. A rookie QB just can't lead us anywhere this year. Please don't use the Roethlisberger argument. Pittsburgh had a great offensive line, we have a mediocre one at best, Pittsburgh had a great defense, ours is good, not great. Pittsburgh has a committment to running the football. We have a history of talking big about running the football but we always revert back to the passing game when the going gets tough. Can anyone argue this? Maybe some optimistic posts can get me excited for the draft.

juice
03-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Too many questions on the O-Line will cause the inexperience of JPL to show early.. If we can avoid an 0-3 start and keep WM healthy then McNally might be able to field a working line.

The defense is lacking a consistent pass rush and is a little thin at the Safty position. Finding a replacement for Pat Williams will be the key to the Defenses success.

EDS
03-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Someone please help me have a little bit of hope. I can't see the Bills winning more than 7 games this season. A rookie QB just can't lead us anywhere this year. Please don't use the Roethlisberger argument. Pittsburgh had a great offensive line, we have a mediocre one at best, Pittsburgh had a great defense, ours is good, not great. Pittsburgh has a committment to running the football. We have a history of talking big about running the football but we always revert back to the passing game when the going gets tough. Can anyone argue this? Maybe some optimistic posts can get me excited for the draft.

Let me help you out here.

As for the whole history of strong running game, who do you think was offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh during their "recent history" of a strong running game? Answer - the Bills head coach.

As for the o-line - that is the only real question mark.

"Rookie" QB - well, we had a veteran QB last year that made a lot of rookie mistakes so the bar has not been set too high for JP. Guys like Dante Culpepper, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Brett Farve, and Chad Pennington all performed well when they started for the first time in their second or third year, and all without virtually any playing time the previous season. Heck, Rick Mirer was pretty good as a rookie starter.

And as for the defense, the Bills defense was the statistical equal of Pitts last year. Remember, the Bills were without both starting safeties for a while and had two first time starters (Kelsay and McGee) who are not much more experienced. Pat Williams loss hurts, but he only played 52% of the defensive snaps anyway.

Luisito23
03-17-2005, 06:56 PM
I Just wanna say that even going though we have a slight downgrade in the O.L. we have basically the same D...FeNcE... minus big Pat.... but we still have 2 players that can do the job similar if not better....
and even though our Offense Line is not as good as Pittsburgh's....
Losman is almost 2wice as fast as da Burger, last year we went in2 the season with 1 statue who was just a below average Q.B.....
This year we have 2 Q.B.'s who both play the same style leaving the O. line less pressure to adjust 2 the change if an injury....

Plus we have SoOoO... long till' the season starts, who is 2 say that it will stay this way cause I know T.D. is not gonna let this offseason without doing something sneaky....and it wil happen....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feelthepain
03-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Well, I'm not a Bill fan but I have been saying this same thing and I get hate back. The fact is, your right! It will be tough to win for your team this year. The fact that your starting a rookie QB with a weak O-line, it's not hard to imagine a tough season ahead. I know I'll get more haye from this but it's not my fault the fans here want everyone who visits to either to write the Bills are great or nothing at all, I see Bill fans come to fin sites and as long as their not bashing, they are welcome to write things without hate being given back. I see some long time posters here not being very objective.... unless your a Bill fan posting. I think your D is solid and I think you'll have some good games this year but honestly how many ROOKIES light things up like big Ben did last year? Not many.

I know this will draw fire but I think the fins will be better not because I'm a Fin fan, but because of the the new philosophy the new coaches and the additions we have added and will add to the team through the draft. The only talent we have lost is Ricky Williams. The thing is, we will replace him with a solid draft pick. "We were" favored to make a strong run at the SB last year before Ricky quit. We were not a 4-12 team even without Ricky but with all the bad luck we had and the fact the DW was on his last leg this lead us to our first losing season in 16 years.We will not have the bad coaching and players quiting on us like last year we will rebound and be a serious threat to any team in our division. I challenge anyone here to show where we have holes to fill because they aren't as bad as fans here think. In fact we have lost the least this offseason and added the most in the AFC east.

thebuffalobills4
03-17-2005, 06:57 PM
why pushing the panic button so early?and let me point one thing out...
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD JP IS NOT A ROOKIE!!this is his second yr,gez.glad
got that out of system. :bikerbabe

mysticsoto
03-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Well, I'm not a Bill fan but I have been saying this same thing and I get hate back. The fact is, your right! It will be tough to win for your team this year. The fact that your starting a rookie QB with a weak O-line, it's not hard to imagine a tough season ahead. I know I'll get more haye from this but it's not my fault the fans here want everyone who visits to either to write the Bills are great or nothing at all, I see Bill fans come to fin sites and as long as their not bashing, they are welcome to write things without hate being given back. I see some long time posters here not being very objective.... unless your a Bill fan posting. I think your D is solid and I think you'll have some good games this year but honestly how many ROOKIES light things up like big Ben did last year? Not many.

I know this will draw fire but I think the fins will be better not because I'm a Fin fan, but because of the the new philosophy the new coaches and the additions we have added and will add to the team through the draft. The only talent we have lost is Ricky Williams. The thing is, we will replace him with a solid draft pick. "We were" favored to make a strong run at the SB last year before Ricky quit. We were not a 4-12 team even without Ricky but with all the bad luck we had and the fact the DW was on his last leg this lead us to our first losing season in 16 years.We will not have the bad coaching and players quiting on us like last year we will rebound and be a serious threat to any team in our division. I challenge anyone here to show where we have holes to fill because they aren't as bad as fans here think. In fact we have lost the least this offseason and added the most in the AFC east.
Of course you added the most...you had nothing! You're O-line isn't super strong either so though our O-line here isn't either, atleast we have a mobile QB. Feeley is horrible is all facets of the game. We'll also have to see how quickly fin players transition to the 3-4 defense.

feelthepain
03-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Of course you added the most...you had nothing! You're O-line isn't super strong either so though our O-line here isn't either, atleast we have a mobile QB. Feeley is horrible is all facets of the game. We'll also have to see how quickly fin players transition to the 3-4 defense.
Nothing? I think thats a bit of an exaggeration! No we don't have a super strong O-line.... I never said we did, but the line is much better then they played, coaching was a big problem for us and the loss of Ricky and Boston hurt. We don't know what Boston could have done had he not missed the season, but we do know what we lost when Ricky quit. The Bad coaching couldn't be masked without Rickys ability. It's really is a blessing for us to lose Ricky because we no longer have the worst coach in the league. Where are you getting your opinion of AJ? He had no running game and poor coaching not to mention DW loved Fiedler and gave him all the time in camp AJ didn't have a real chance until the season was nearly over when Bates took over for DW. In that stretch of time we were one of the highest scoring avg. of any team in the league. Our D was injured all across the D line we couldn't stop the run and gave up a ton of yrds on the ground, but out secondary was the best in the league. This is a new season with a new philosophy and new coaches we have added some solid players to the team while losing nothing speacial.
BTW did I mention we have the #2 overall to add a player like B.Edwards or R.Brown or trade to acquire more picks? I know you don't want to hear this, but we will not finish in last place in the AFC East.

jamze132
03-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Nothing? I think thats a bit of an exaggeration! No we don't have a super strong O-line.... I never said we did, but the line is much better then they played, coaching was a big problem for us and the loss of Ricky and Boston hurt. We don't know what Boston could have done had he not missed the season, but we do know what we lost when Ricky quit. The Bad coaching couldn't be masked without Rickys ability. It's really is a blessing for us to lose Ricky because we no longer have the worst coach in the league. Where are you getting your opinion of AJ? He had no running game and poor coaching not to mention DW loved Fiedler and gave him all the time in camp AJ didn't have a real chance until the season was nearly over when Bates took over for DW. In that stretch of time we were one of the highest scoring avg. of any team in the league. Our D was injured all across the D line we couldn't stop the run and gave up a ton of yrds on the ground, but out secondary was the best in the league. This is a new season with a new philosophy and new coaches we have added some solid players to the team while losing nothing speacial.
BTW did I mention we have the #2 overall to add a player like B.Edwards or R.Brown or trade to acquire more picks? I know you don't want to hear this, but we will not finish in last place in the AFC East.
Look dude, don't even compare the Bills to the Dolphins. Drew Bledsoe beat you guys twice last year. I mean come on. You want another reason why the Dolphins suck ass? AJ Feeley! You will improve this year to a robust 6-10.

HurryUpTom
03-19-2005, 10:08 AM
It's mid-March, that's all I can say for optimism. As the team stands now, I think we're capable of right around 6 wins - but it's mid-March, there should be some moves made between now and the start of the season that will address those issues.

You want optimisim? Well, I look at it this way - there is still a lot of the off-season left, and the Bills are in a pure "addition" mode. They do not need to cut anyone the rest of the offseason to get under the salary cap or anything. The only moves they make the rest of the season should be to make the team better. So while I think we are currently capable of only 6 wins - that number will only increase throughout the offseason.

ParanoidAndroid
03-19-2005, 11:55 AM

Ummmm....you weren't a 4-12 team? The actual record would say otherwise. Bad luck happens, but in pro sports, good teams make their own luck. Bad luck is not the reason the Fins defense was near the bottom against the run. If you can't stop the run, you're going to get beat up in the AFC East. If you want to post on this website, you're allowed to be a Fins homer.....that's cool. But please don't come here and call some of us unobjective for being optimistic while posting optimistic news in favor of your team. There is no need for anyone to be objective here. We are not reporters, we are fans. If we can't be optimistic about our team's future, then being a fan becomes more of a source of suffering than enjoyment. So please....be optimistic about the Fins, but don't come here and try to burst my orange.

helmetguy
03-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Here's an idea. Just do what everyone in Pussburgh does...jump on the frontrunner bandwagon.