Let's assume McNally is a miracle worker and can get our crap O-line to play well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Let's assume McNally is a miracle worker and can get our crap O-line to play well...

Last year, the line improved tremendously over the course of the season. Here's the problem- it took 5-6 games for the O-line to gel. Meanwhile, we have an inexperienced QB and an RB who can only take so much. We're going to dig ourselves into a 1-5 or 2-4 hole and possibly get both McGahee and Losman injured in the process. We've got excellent skill players on this team but it's pointless if no one can protect them. I see little hope for this upcoming season unless TD can pull a LG or center out of his ass between now and training camp. And every day, it looks less and less like it's going to happen.

And I'm sick of people saying we can fix the O-line with the draft. All we have is a late 2nd and a late 3rd. Plus, despite the fact that Jennings was only slightly above average, no rookie is going to come in and replace him immediately.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • regor
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
    Last year, the line improved tremendously over the course of the season.

Exactly! So why are you assuming they will go back to sucking? Because Jennings is gone?

Comment

• gobuffalo2007
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Mar 2005

Jennings barly played he was hurt every game so we cant miss him that much!

Comment

• juice
        • Aug 2003

The left side of the line is the blind side and we're about to start trying different players at different positions just like last year.. It will hamper the line becoming a cohesive unit and might slow JPL's progression as a QB.

JJ was a very important part of the line last year especially when he was healthy.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• regor
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by juice
          The left side of the line is the blind side and we're about to start trying different players at different positions just like last year.. It will hamper the line becoming a cohesive unit and might slow JPL's progression as a QB.

We don't know that? If they move Teague to LT and then have to shuffle other guys around we have something to worry about. That has not happened yet. People should let everything play out before they panic. If they can work out the Shelton trade then the line is as good as last year IMO.

Originally posted by juice
          JJ was a very important part of the line last year especially when he was healthy

especially when he was healthy being the key.

Comment

• Romes
            • Jul 2002

its not like the whole line is new. Its only one spot. Granted it is the most important spot but I think the rest of the line is pretty "geled" right now. Its just a matter of finding someone (probably in the draft at this point) who can fit well into what Mularkey and Clements plan on doing.

Now, if we start shifting people around then its a whole new story because then it becomes more than one person in a different spot from last year.

Also, if Gandy takes over at LG then Teague (assuming he stays at center) will have to develop some chemistry with him that may take some time.

But also don 't forget though that our line has time to gel during camp. Last year it took a long time to gell because MW was out most of camp. Villarial was out part of camp and we were searching for our LG, hence all the time it took them to gell during the season. I don't think, I hope, that this coming training camp won't be as chaotic. that the spots of Villarial, Teague, M Williams, and Tucker will be set. Their chemistry is in tact.

I'm worried but there is a lot of time left till opening day to fix the situation.
            Originally posted by paladin warrior
            RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• jmb1099
              • Sep 2004

I realize that the line is a concern and I also realize that we didn't sign a few decent players when we had the chance, but I keep wondering if this isn't at the request of the coaching staff? I say this because some companies, depending upon the position, want to hire someone with less experience so they can train them the way they want to without having to un-trian them first. This could make some sense considering how much un-training both mentally and physically Mike Williams went through last year. It could also be the reason why we didn't sign some of the more established guys who were available. Remember it took 5 games or so for the line to gel...new system, new coaches, etc. It may not be too far fetched to assume that a young guy without a reputation would be easier to caoach (I blocked for manning I know what I'm doing I'm a professional etc). Now the other part to this is Jennings was hurt often and played inconsistently. I'm sure we can find someone to do that for us again.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                Too sober for this...
                • Apr 2004

Last year, the line improved tremendously over the course of the season. Here's the problem- it took 5-6 games for the O-line to gel. Meanwhile, we have an inexperienced QB and an RB who can only take so much. We're going to dig ourselves into a 1-5 or 2-4 hole and possibly get both McGahee and Losman injured in the process. We've got excellent skill players on this team but it's pointless if no one can protect them. I see little hope for this upcoming season unless TD can pull a LG or center out of his ass between now and training camp. And every day, it looks less and less like it's going to happen.

And I'm sick of people saying we can fix the O-line with the draft. All we have is a late 2nd and a late 3rd. Plus, despite the fact that Jennings was only slightly above average, no rookie is going to come in and replace him immediately.
                Well I'm sick of all the whining!!!

It took 5-6 games for the line to gel b'cse of MW coming in 40 lbs overweight, b'cse he took a couple of days off once he was in training camp, and then afterward there were injuries for MW and Villiarial - all this at the time that they should have been gel-ling.

I'm perfectly happy with what TD is doing so far. He didn't jump to overpay any FA like many here would have. And he also didn't grab something that was there just b'cse it was there. They are trying to go younger and if none of the FAs have panned out, then we move on. Too many people here are reactive...where they see a problem at LT and want to fill it - with anyone they can. Maybe Demulling wasn't a right fit or McNally wasn't high on him - and so they only made him a low offer? Ditto for any other FA. Just b'cse they are a FA doesn't mean they are all of a sudden fantastic players. If they were so good, they wouldn't have been let go by their teams. They were considered dispensable.

It may be risky to go to the draft for a starter, but this same judge of talent was also the one that brought us WM and Evans. With McNally helping judge, I'm sure they can get a quality lineman that just might be capable of starting.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

the line didnt gell as much as you guys think.. the fact that the team played against garbage was as much a factor as the line "gelling".

the opponents we played made guys like ross tucker look like he was doing a great job, as much as he actually improved (which he did some i am sure).

sorry.. but i am not happy with a line that is as good as last years.. we need something much better.. has anyone actually looked at our schedule?

a line of teague, gandy, tucker, villareal, williams is going to get someone hurt.
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka

a line of teague, gandy, tucker, villareal, williams is going to get someone hurt.
                    thank you- this is what I'm trying to say. I don't want to see Losman hurt, but I'm not as worried about it as I was before we signed Holcomb. If McGahee gets hurt, we're doomed- Joe Burns and Shaud Williams can't handle the workload.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

thank you- this is what I'm trying to say. I don't want to see Losman hurt, but I'm not as worried about it as I was before we signed Holcomb. If McGahee gets hurt, we're doomed- Joe Burns and Shaud Williams can't handle the workload.
                      henry will be a bill.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

if he doesn't get hurt again...

Seriously, can we rely on Henry. On one hand- he doesn't want to be here and probably won't be motivated to contribute. On the other hand, if he doesn't have a good season no one will give him the money he wants next year.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• helmetguy
                          Touch the helmet for luck
                          • Sep 2002

No offense, Tonk, but I can't help but wonder why the offense's modest successes last year have to nbe mitigated with the assertion that they faced "garbage" opposition. By the same token, the defense-whose successes were more impressive, perhaps-feasted off "garbage" as well. However, it's rare that anyone mitigates those successes as the do with the offense. In the grand NFL scheme, quality of wins make no difference, as long as the quantity is there. Perhaps the level of competition wasn't great last season, but we managed nine wins with a new HC, etc. At least the foundation for winning has been laid, unlike the "we didn't execute" years of...well...you know who.

You can now all return to the original topic. Thank you!
                          Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                          And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

your right helmet.. the defense isnt as good as it looks.. i agree with the point your making.

but the offenses we faced were better than the defenses.. seattles offense is good.. there defense isnt.. cincy's offense is better than its defense. same with the rams.. cleveland was just garbage all around.

Comment

• The Spaz
                              • Mar 2003

Well for 2-3 years in a row now our D hasn't been as good as it is ranked then I guess...

Comment

Working...
                              X