X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rhettoric
    • Mar 2005

Mularkey's Playbook

Since there doesn't seem to be anything new happening in FA I was curious what you all thought about Mike Mularkey's play calling last year. Especially the gimick plays. Occasionaly they worked, but it seemed more often than not they blew up in our faces.

Do you think with JP taking over the reigns will we see more trick plays or will they keep it simple?
    "Is his junk out?....Now it's a party."
  • The Natrix
    • Jul 2002

Probably about the same. I didn't think they over-did it last year.

I don't see how JP would need it any more simple. Bledsoe had it easy, but he screwed up, game in and game out.

Byrd.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

I like the trick plays but I think Mularkey has to be wise with them. A botched trick play can switch momentum, which is all-important in a football game. Against Seattle, the trick plays worked brilliantly. Against Pittsburgh, it was a disaster.

Also, Mularkey has to set them up better. Take the fake timeout/direct snap play. The reason this play didn't work was because the only time Freddie Smith was in the backfield was when they were attempting this play. Either Smith needs to be in the backfield more to "sell" it, or they need to use a more typical backfield for this play, like Shelton and McGahee. Otherwise, Smith's presence just tips off the D and the play will be a bust.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Rhettoric
        • Mar 2005

[QUOTE=OpIv37]I like the trick plays but I think Mularkey has to be wise with them. A botched trick play can switch momentum, which is all-important in a football game. Against Seattle, the trick plays worked brilliantly. Against Pittsburgh, it was a disaster. QUOTE]

Totally agree with you there.
        "Is his junk out?....Now it's a party."

Comment

• kevinj22
          • Feb 2005

I like the trick plays and I don't think that we over did it last year, I just think that they are more effective with play action passing. There are so many things you can do when your QB is a threat to run. Defenses have to scheme differently to not give him running lanes and if he can carry out the fakes well watch what happens. Bret Favre in his hey day was great at play action, look at Vick and McNabb also remember how Steve Young did it. I think that Jp will do a great job with that aspect of the game, and in turn will make the trick plays work better.

Comment

• BigZ
            • Sep 2003

There will be about the same number next year. JP mobility WILL make a difference in the success ratio. Just hope we don't see a pass to JP - he might get killed.

Comment

Working...
            X