PDA

View Full Version : WGR: Bennie Anderson to visit today

SonOfWade
03-18-2005, 06:08 AM
This is "according to Anderson's agent". WGR also reported that the Bills had conversations with Arizona TE Freddie Jones, but Jones felt the Bills were looking more for a blocking TE.

Michael82
03-18-2005, 06:12 AM
I heard the same thing. Hmm, maybe we will still get a guard. I wouldn't be upset with Anderson. He's better than Tucker or Smith and he's the kind of Road grader that McGahee needs. :up:

Dantheman1280
03-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Any links on this guy? I've never heard of him, I know the Ravens had terrible pass protection, but there run blocking was impressive.

ryven
03-18-2005, 07:05 AM
I wouldn't mind having him on the roster

Historian
03-18-2005, 07:07 AM
Isn't he the guy from ABBA?

What's he doing? Booking a show at the stadium?

The Quebecer
03-18-2005, 07:44 AM
Bennie Anderson is a much better fit for what the Bills want to do on offence... Road grader!
Also, I think McNally prefers having huge lineman at the OG spot... but I can't remember where I've seen him say that...
Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see!

Later,
Pat

Michael82
03-18-2005, 07:49 AM
I hope we sign him, but I'm not holding out any hope. :::

Oh, well...I'm out of here. :wave: :snooze:

colin
03-18-2005, 08:26 AM
you thow him in at LG, move williams to LT, and bring in a guy like riley (unless he has dropped off as much as some people say) at RT and I like our line.

Sportsuser101
03-18-2005, 09:11 AM
<!--StartFragment -->Anderson, a very powerful run blocker, has the massive size to wear down defenders over the course of a game. He has good lower-body strength, is very physical at the point of attack and is at his best exploding off the ball in the interior run game. A nasty mauler, he moves the pile and creates seams, even against premier two-gap defenders. As a pass protector, he reacts to what he sees and has a nice feel for picking up stunts and recognizing blitzes. He can handle any defender of similar size and bulk, and anchors well against bull rushers. But he lacks athleticism, and his agility is hampered by his weight. He would benefit from dropping 20 pounds. He lacks initial quickness and good feet, and he struggles to reach the second level. His mobility has improved somewhat, but he isn't effective on pulls and often is late to his assignment when moving laterally. He doesn't redirect or adjust to the moving target well, and he sometimes struggles against explosive, one-gap defenders. Durability is a problem, most likely due to his weight. His tools and conditioning aren't great, but he compensates with good technique and outstanding power.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=2877

<!--StartFragment -->Bennie Anderson went from playing for the XFL's Chicago Enforcers to starting for the defending Super Bowl champions in a matter of months. All told, the 6'5 335 pound Anderson appeared in all 16 games and started 13 for the Baltimore Ravens at the right guard spot during the 2001 season. Anderson has established himself as a solid starter in the 2002 season, starting the first 12 games. Anderson struggles at times pass blocking, but uses his power and frame to excell at run blocking. Anderson went undrafted and was signed as a rookie free agent by the Rams in 2000, but was cut in training camp. He signed with the Ravens on June 14, 2001. Anderson attended Tennessee State University, earning a history degree with a teaching certificate. He is working towards his master’s in administration and supervision at Morgan State University.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=354356&nid=1136770&fhn=1

<!--StartFragment --> <TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#999999 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#cccccc><TD class=text16B align=middle colSpan=3>66, Bennie Anderson, G, Baltimore Ravens</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 width="26%"> Height: 6-5</TD><TD class=text11 width="40%"> Weight: 345</TD><TD class=text11 width="34%"> Experience: 4 years</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 width="26%"> Born: 2/17/1977</TD><TD class=text11 width="40%"> Birthplace: St. Louis, MO</TD><TD class=text11 width="34%"> College: Tennessee State</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#cccccc border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#999999><TD class=text11B vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=10>Career Offensive Line Stats</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#cccccc><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom align=left width="9%">Year</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom align=left width="9%">Team</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">G</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">GS</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Pen</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Yds</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="10%">False Start</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Holding</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Sacks Allwd</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Yds</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 align=left>2001</TD><TD class=text11 align=left>Bal (http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/teams.asp?team=33)</TD><TD class=text11>16</TD><TD class=text11>13</TD><TD class=text11>2</TD><TD class=text11>15</TD><TD class=text11>1</TD><TD class=text11>1</TD><TD class=text11>6.50</TD><TD class=text11>60.50</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 align=left>2002</TD><TD class=text11 align=left>Bal (http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/teams.asp?team=33)</TD><TD class=text11>16</TD><TD class=text11>16</TD><TD class=text11>7</TD><TD class=text11>67</TD><TD class=text11>2</TD><TD class=text11>2</TD><TD class=text11>3.50</TD><TD class=text11>16.00</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 align=left>2003</TD><TD class=text11 align=left>Bal (http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/teams.asp?team=33)</TD><TD class=text11>16</TD><TD class=text11>15</TD><TD class=text11>7</TD><TD class=text11>40</TD><TD class=text11>5</TD><TD class=text11>1</TD><TD class=text11>3.00</TD><TD class=text11>17.00</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 align=left>2004</TD><TD class=text11 align=left>Bal (http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/teams.asp?team=33)</TD><TD class=text11>16</TD><TD class=text11>12</TD><TD class=text11>6</TD><TD class=text11>45</TD><TD class=text11>4</TD><TD class=text11>1</TD><TD class=text11>4.00</TD><TD class=text11>17.50</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#cccccc><TD class=text11B align=left colSpan=2>Totals</TD><TD class=text11B>64</TD><TD class=text11B>56</TD><TD class=text11B>-</TD><TD class=text11B>-</TD><TD class=text11B>-</TD><TD class=text11B>-</TD><TD class=text11B>-</TD><TD class=text11B>-</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=5777&Submit=Go

<!--StartFragment -->I'd rather have Vincent and DeMulling but sense they're gone and if Anderson comes cheap I wouldn't mind him. Not a huge fan of him, no pun intended. I think he would be more of a guy to come in and compete then just to hand the job over to him.

ryven
03-18-2005, 09:27 AM
doesn't allow to many sacks, atleast less than R. Brown does.

Sportsuser101
03-18-2005, 09:39 AM
doesn't allow to many sacks, atleast less than R. Brown does.
True but he was playing next to Jonathon Ogden and Casey Rabach. Ogden is 1 of the top 3 LT in the league and Rabach is 1 of the top 10 C in the league.

Mahdi
03-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Lets see if we sign anderson, trade for shelton and draft baas.

Shelton-Anderson-Baas-Villarial-Williams. Now that would be a great line IMO.

I dont think I should pin my hopes on that though........

Bmax
03-18-2005, 10:03 AM
If signed should get deal similar to vincent who signed in baltimore..3 yr 4.64. 1.25 mill bonus......would be upgrade from tucker from a strength point of view. Would give the bills the body they need to more tucker to guard if shelton not brought in.

Needs more discipline ! Which i'm sure mcnally will provide....Not two many other teams still in the market except for green bay.....who just signed a guy fron the pats klemm and are bring in o'dwyer from tampa in today....

Bmax

Tatonka
03-18-2005, 10:15 AM
he sounds like a guy that could get whipped into a little better shape and do great under mcnally.

you cant teach mean streaks.. or god given strength.. you can help someone lose weight to become more agile (which is what that report states is an issue).. and mcnally can teach pass blocking.

Tatonka
03-18-2005, 10:15 AM
This is "according to Anderson's agent". WGR also reported that the Bills had conversations with Arizona TE Freddie Jones, but Jones felt the Bills were looking more for a blocking TE.

Welcome to the Zone.

lordofgun
03-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Nothing Rusty can't fix...oh....crap...

jdbillsfan
03-18-2005, 10:39 AM
I would like him too. Anything at this point seems like it would help, but I won't get my hopes up.

The Spaz
03-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Hmm imagine if we get Shelton and Anderson that is a ****ing wall on the left side?!:party:

ShadowHawk7
03-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Lets see if we sign anderson, trade for shelton and draft baas.

Shelton-Anderson-Baas-Villarial-Williams. Now that would be a great line IMO.

I dont think I should pin my hopes on that though........
No, you definitley shouldn't. But that would be cool.

Bmax
03-18-2005, 11:05 AM
yeah i would love to see video of of mcnally talking to big mike and bennie....Hey big fat guys get your head up and butt down....come on you @@$$%%%%*** guys... get your head out your **&^%$ ...What a site it could be in training camp.

BMAX

ParanoidAndroid
03-18-2005, 11:25 AM

:welcome:

Sign him! He should come relatively cheap.

Kerr
03-18-2005, 11:29 AM
It seems like his major flaw is staying in shape. Nonetheless, he would be an upgrade over what we have now. He's a very good run blocker. TD needs to get the deal done.

Dicknoze69
03-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Signing him would allow a Oline of this now:

Teague - Anderson - Tucker - Villarial - MW

This allows for draft picks/June 1 cuts to provide additional depth or starting material.

Sportsuser101
03-18-2005, 12:55 PM
We're not having TT on the bench so lets just get over that right now.

Romes
03-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Its interesting how we keep bringing in guards (they were looking at Womack as a G). it seems like they want to fix the OL via a LG from FA and are either going to go with Teague or a rookie at LT.

ryven
03-18-2005, 01:05 PM
I have a feeling that if we sign Anderson and can pick up some one like Adam Terry he will start and TT will stay at C.

Tatonka
03-18-2005, 01:12 PM
i think second round we either go best LT or best C.. and see if he can start.. i guess we can do this with the flexibility of TT at LT/C.. if you consider him starting material at LT.

ryven
03-18-2005, 01:30 PM
well hes the best we have right now

Bmax
03-18-2005, 01:37 PM
not too many pure left tackles will be available after top part of rd 2....Munoz.. maybe terry....Best bet maybe center ....from miss.

gonzo1105
03-18-2005, 01:44 PM
I think they are goin to go Center in the 2nd and OT in the 3rd this year. I think they are going to move Teague to LT this year and start a Center this year. Then we'll put in the 3rd rounder after Teague becomes a FA

Tatonka
03-18-2005, 02:48 PM
i wont be surprised to see TD trade up, even just a little in the second round to grab a guy like terry.. if they think highly enough of him.. obviously we dont know what they think of any of these guys.

Tatonka
03-18-2005, 02:49 PM
have they even announced that he is actually visiting or is this just rumor? like ty law coming to visit.

Shasta McNasty
03-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Crazy as it sounds, I truly think the staff has plans for Peters at LT.

Dicknoze69
03-18-2005, 02:56 PM
have they even announced that he is actually visiting or is this just rumor? like ty law coming to visit.

per Len Pasquarelli of espn.com - The Buffalo Bills have been attempting to bolster their offensive line and are now set to visit with Bennie Anderson, who started at right guard for the Ravens

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2015502

Romes
03-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Its on the front page of BB.com

Dicknoze69
03-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Has anyone else expressed interest in him, or has he even visited anyplace ?

I think we may be one of the few destinations for him.

Romes
03-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Has anyone else expressed interest in him, or has he even visited anyplace ?

I think we may be one of the few destinations for him.

I was thinking the same thing you were. I found that on the 15th he visited the Broncos.

So, no, we aren't the only ones interested.

Mahdi
03-18-2005, 05:26 PM
I think Bennie Anderson is a much better fit for our team than DeMulling. Hopefully it gets done.

Mahdi
03-18-2005, 05:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing you were. I found that on the 15th he visited the Broncos.

The broncos signed Cooper Carlisle today so I dont think they are in the market for another guard.

Dicknoze69
03-18-2005, 05:41 PM

Too bad, but that's still not a lot of competition...and the Flying Shanahans just re-signed G Cooper Carlisle.

Add that to the fact that the Broncos have to decide whether to match the offer sheet Herndon signed with the SeaChickens and they just matched the offer sheet for Putzier, and I think we have a very good chance at signing Anderson.

Dicknoze69
03-18-2005, 05:41 PM
The broncos signed Cooper Carlisle today so I dont think they are in the market for another guard.

Ha!! Just what I said.

Romes
03-18-2005, 06:06 PM
good news then if the Broncos got Carlsile...if we got Anderson it would make me feel a little better.

Michael82
03-18-2005, 07:52 PM
BUMP! Is he a Bill yet? :mad:

Dicknoze69
03-18-2005, 08:49 PM

No, but he should be

Sportsuser101
03-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Who's Bump? :funny:

finsrclowns
03-18-2005, 09:52 PM
I think TD will sign Anderson and he's a nice fit. Tucker will be moved to center, Teague to LT.

tampabay25690
03-19-2005, 12:24 AM
Just curious but has the Guard from Denver Neil signed anywhere yet!!!!

Tatonka
03-19-2005, 01:37 AM
anyone who helps block for a RB that rushes for 2100 yards is a welcome addition, in my opinion.

buffmaniac
03-19-2005, 07:08 AM
Sign Anderson, trade for Shelton, and draft Baas.

G. Host
03-19-2005, 09:10 AM
I think they are goin to go Center in the 2nd and OT in the 3rd this year. I think they are going to move Teague to LT this year and start a Center this year. Then we'll put in the 3rd rounder after Teague becomes a FA

If they bring in Anderson then Tucker will move to center and Trey to LT. I dislike this until Trey signs an extension although I think that Tucker and Anderson would give us a pair of maulers next to each other. I wonder if they swap Villarial makiing it:

Williams - Anderson - Tucker - Villarial - Teague

That one side of line is designed for run blocking and they keep an extra blocker for left side of line.

The Spaz
03-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Trey Teague will stink at LT I do not want him there.

Michael82
03-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Trey Teague will stink at LT I do not want him there.
Me either. That's why I still see us trying to pry Shelton or Clements from the Cardinals on Draft Day or before...

Tatonka
03-19-2005, 11:34 AM
can anyone find out why the ravens dont want this guy back? they have made no effort whatsoever to resign him..

his numbers show only 4 sacks given up in any one season..

so what gives?

Sportsuser101
03-19-2005, 11:38 AM
can anyone find out why the ravens dont want this guy back? they have made no effort whatsoever to resign him..

so what gives?
They tried to but he wanted too much. They decided to sign Vincent who they got cheap. His agent hurt his client because they offered Anderson more money then Vincent got. He should have just taken it because now he'll probably get less since the Bills are basically his only suitor since everyone else addressed there guard needs.

Tatonka
03-19-2005, 11:53 AM
do you have a link on the fact that they tried? i tried to look up stuff on the ravens message board and everything i saw said that they just let him go.. there was no mention of them wanting him or even attempted to make him any offer at all.

not that i think your lying.. i just want see something that shows me that this guy isnt just another olineman that nobody wants.. which is what it looks like since he is still on the market

VABills
03-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Me either. That's why I still see us trying to pry Shelton or Clements from the Cardinals on Draft Day or before...
We don't want Clemnets, he really is a guard and very average at that. He is not a very good tackle, and would be a RT only if he were signed. While he could probably be had for a 6th, there is a reason. Shelton is the guy we want, he is a pretty good LT.

Bmax
03-19-2005, 12:27 PM
teague can't play right tackle.. he is to light in the pants.....the bills have said over and over again that williams is the guy at rt....so the plan that would work best would be signing anderson,moving teague to LT for one season, drafting a center and left tackle this year. Then next year we will see what we have with the 2nd year players.

Bmax

VABills
03-19-2005, 12:53 PM
teague can't play right tackle.. he is to light in the pants.....the bills have said over and over again that williams is the guy at rt....so the plan that would work best would be signing anderson,moving teague to LT for one season, drafting a center and left tackle this year. Then next year we will see what we have with the 2nd year players.

Bmax
That's a lot to draft to expect 2 starters for Center and LT next year. You still have to address the possible loss of Moulds and Nate next year. I think maybe one of the 2 first day picks may go online, but I suspect the other is CB. Possibly Marlin Jackson who was a late first round projection. Seems he broke his arm or wrist in his workout the other day, and will probably drop as a result.

The Spaz
03-19-2005, 12:59 PM

so what gives?

They Ravens spent quite a bit in free agency already.

Bert102176
03-19-2005, 01:20 PM
I doubt TD would sign him the way he's been going so far

jpdex12
03-19-2005, 01:27 PM
do you have a link on the fact that they tried? i tried to look up stuff on the ravens message board and everything i saw said that they just let him go.. there was no mention of them wanting him or even attempted to make him any offer at all.

not that i think your lying.. i just want see something that shows me that this guy isnt just another olineman that nobody wants.. which is what it looks like since he is still on the marketWe didn't let JJ go because we didn't want him. $$ and the fact that TD thought that he could get another lineman of equal quality for him for less. Maybe that's what the RAvens think of Bennie. I have heard mostly good things about him. Better run blocker than pass blocker but everyone has their better qualities.

Tatonka
03-19-2005, 01:45 PM
They Ravens spent quite a bit in free agency already.

that is not what i asked.. they spent money in FA on a guard.. just not anderson.. from everything i have seen.. they made no effort whatsoever to resign him..

very much like marcus price and the bills.

there spending included a guard already though.. so that is a weak excuse..

gobuffalo2007
03-19-2005, 01:48 PM
does he ride the short bus?

Dicknoze69
03-19-2005, 03:49 PM
I read that he rebuffed the Ravens low-ball offer because he felt he could get more cash in the FA market.

I don't have a link though.

The Jokeman
03-19-2005, 04:25 PM
To answer Tatonka's question:

At 6-foot-5, 325 pounds, Vincent is viewed as an upgrade athletically to Anderson in terms of pass protection with enough agility and quickness to block linebackers in the open field.
From RavensInsider.com (http://ravens.scout.com/2/359447.html)

Tatonka
03-19-2005, 05:58 PM
i dont know if that quoted statement really answers my question .. but thanks for the link.. because that did answer my question...

Now, Vincent is the Ravens' answer to the right guard vacancy created by the decision to not retain four-year starter Bennie Anderson. Vincent passed his physical Friday and signed a three-year contract worth $4.64 million that includes a $1.25 million signing bonus.