X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

Optimistic about 2005

I think it's become very obvious that TD intends to build a line geared toward a dominating rushing attack. I believe it's brilliant and here's why.

Our defense will continue as a top 5 unit even with the absence of Pat Williams. The Edwards/Anderson tandem won't be quite as good but chances are we won't lose as much time in our secondary as we did last season with Milloy and Vincent. Looks like a wash to me.

Offense... I believe it's 59er or maybe shaw or beast from the bb.com message board who keeps saying that improvement will come via addition by subtraction. This couldn't be more true with the purging of the bedsore.

For the 1st 5 or 6 games last season our running game sucked and Bledsoe was getting sacked at a record pace. The combination of Henry and Bledsoe in the backfield worked terribly against the Bills. Bledsoe was slow and imobile and easy to find in the backfield while Henry was not a legit outside threat. The result? Defenses pushed with 8 defenders everyone of which converged on the pocket area. Why could they do this? Because Bledsoe couldn't keep them honest by consistently delivering the short ball... and Travis Henry couldn't get cleanly out of the backfield with all the traffic. This meant that they could play the same defense no matter if it was a pass play or run.

All that changed when McGahee became the starter. The defenses were still able to push with 8 (because Bledsoe couldn't keep them honest), but they couldn't all converge on the pocket area because they had to contain McGahee who was capable of getting outside. The result? Sacks decreased dramatically and, although Willis was hit frequently in the backfield, the running game produced.

Now this season... we've replaced the statue with a mobile QB who throws well on the move. I believe at some point in the season he will become proficient at making defenses pay for 8 in the box. But more importantly, TD seems to be intent on building a working man's rushing offensive line (especially the interior). I believe this will account for the Bills rushing for 2500 or maybe even as much as 3000 yards next year. I believe JP will throw for at least 2500 and probably more like 3000 yards.

Ball control offense combined with a stingy defense adds up to 10 and 6 and a legit contender.
  • SoCalBillsFan
    Expert on Experts
    • Jul 2002

You are right to some extent, but at the same time, can JP control the ball? We have no idea what to expect from this kid. Also, that line is even worse now, or so it seems anyway.

Still, Mularky is getting his guys, and I hope you are right in that it will make a big difference.

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

AWESOME POST!!!!! I agree 110%

Post more often!

Comment

• Luisito23
        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
        You are right to some extent, but at the same time, can JP control the ball? We have no idea what to expect from this kid. Also, that line is even worse now, or so it seems anyway.

Still, Mularky is getting his guys, and I hope you are right in that it will make a big difference.
        Y even ? it..... Y do we always gotta go negative on another season, I'm really getting sick of it,,, we have an elite D. top 5... 4 sure...
        we have a in the making ....if not already, but definetly top 5 if healthy, & I know he's gonna continue 2 b a STUD...
        we have not only one great prospect, & 1 proven veteran who can throw 4 like more than 500 yards in 1 game if I remember correctly,
        and we have a good coach who has proven he could win with injures, without injuries....
        and we still got sooooo long till the 1st. kickoff whos 2 say that the team is not gonna upgrade in June..... I definetly am not....
        enough said......

KILL THE NEGATIVITY.....

GO BILLS.......... ..
        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• gobuffalo2007
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Mar 2005

yeah thanks for telling me what i already know.....
          but A+++ for effort.
          im way to lazy to read all of that but good job writing all of that.
          oh and next time check for typos.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
            Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
            • Jul 2002

I too am quite optimistic about this season for many of the reasons you've stated.

I think just removing Bledsoe from our team will cut down on our sacks, and we'll have a team full of guys that our coaches actually want. I really think our Oline will be at worst similar to last year's production, with a possibility of our Oline being better.

God give me style and give me grace
            God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by gobuffalo2007
              yeah thanks for telling me what i already know.....
              but A+++ for effort.
              im way to lazy to read all of that but good job writing all of that.
              oh and next time check for typos.
              Would you mind telling me what the typos are. I'm way to lazy to reread it.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                • Feb 2005

Kicker in the 2nd lol

I still laugh even after its the 50th time that its been posted for us to draft a kicker on the 1st day.
                Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
                  Kicker in the 2nd lol

I still laugh even after its the 50th time that its been posted for us to draft a kicker on the 1st day.
                  Boy that's right on topic isn't it?

Comment

• HurryUpTom
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by draz54
                    But more importantly, TD seems to be intent on building a working man's rushing offensive line (especially the interior).
                    I agree with pretty much everything else that you wrote. I'm just curious what makes you think we are building a working man's rushing offensive line especially at the interior. Teague is more of an athlete than a road grader - he isn't the type that can push big DTs off the line. Villarial is more of a run-blocker, but LG is a ? and can go either way. It's not exactly what I'd call an OL built around the run. Personally, I'd prefer that we focus on a run-blocking line, but I think that we're trying to build a balanced line that is ok at both areas.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
                      Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
                      Kicker in the 2nd lol

Don't feel bad, I feel the same way

God give me style and give me grace
                      God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                        • Feb 2005

more optimism!!!

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
                          Expert on Experts
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Luisito23
                          Y even ? it..... Y do we always gotta go negative on another season, I'm really getting sick of it,,, we have an elite D. top 5... 4 sure...
                          we have a in the making ....if not already, but definetly top 5 if healthy, & I know he's gonna continue 2 b a STUD...
                          we have not only one great prospect, & 1 proven veteran who can throw 4 like more than 500 yards in 1 game if I remember correctly,
                          and we have a good coach who has proven he could win with injures, without injuries....
                          and we still got sooooo long till the 1st. kickoff whos 2 say that the team is not gonna upgrade in June..... I definetly am not....
                          enough said......

KILL THE NEGATIVITY.....
                          Take a chill pill! It's not being negative every time someone questions something about our team. I am sorry if can find weak spots in our team, the truth is the truth. I'm not saying we won't be good or even great, just that we need to improve. You are right, we hopefully will improve after june 1st, no one said otherwise...

so relax on this "i'm getting sick of the negativity" stuff...It;s a message board, people are going to want to talk about more than just the good things. The reality is while we may be a good team, we still have some holes that I for one would like to see fixed. that's all.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by HurryUpTom
                            I'm just curious what makes you think we are building a working man's rushing offensive line especially at the interior.
                            Aside from the fact that we already have Villarrial who is an excellent run blocker and adequate pass protector... We signed Gandy who is better suited for the interior and a much better run blocker than Tucker. We looked at DeMulling, Womack and Anderson all of which are better run blockers than pass protectors and all of which are better suited for the interior (although Womack could play tackle).

All indicators point toward my theory and that theory isn't exactly far fetched. We were told last year that the Bills were gonna work toward becoming a smash mouth offense.

As far as balance goes... do you consider it balance when a team has near equal pass vs run plays? Or would it be better balanced if that team had near equal passing vs. rushing yards? I propose the second choice.

Comment

• BigZ
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
                              Take a chill pill! It's not being negative every time someone questions something about our team. I am sorry if can find weak spots in our team, the truth is the truth. I'm not saying we won't be good or even great, just that we need to improve. You are right, we hopefully will improve after june 1st, no one said otherwise...

so relax on this "i'm getting sick of the negativity" stuff...It;s a message board, people are going to want to talk about more than just the good things. The reality is while we may be a good team, we still have some holes that I for one would like to see fixed. that's all.
                              He probably just read some of Weiler's latest stuff. Yea, the Bills have some holes but it's only March. I don't mind reading constructive criticism, comments on what we think needs to be done and even frustration that remedies don't seem to be happening as fast as we like. I, too, get a little upset when my sports news on my home page starts with "
                              "Talk" Once Again Leading "Walk" in Race at OBD
                              By Mark Weiler". The rest of the world doesn't need to think that all Bills fans think of one of the better GM's in the league as "Commander Tom". Buffalo gets enough bad press without trash talk from Mark making the national scene.

Comment

Working...
                              X