PDA

View Full Version : Waiting game, Travis Henry

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-18-2005, 06:51 PM
The Bills thought that getting a team to give up a second-round pick for a 1,400 rusher like Travis Henry would be easy, especially after the best available backs-Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James, Rudi Johnson and LaMont Jordan-were locked up early in free agency. But it turns out this is still a buyer's market. And the Bucs, Cardinals, and Dolphins-all looking for RB's after finishing in the bottom third of the league in rushing-are content to be patient.
Why? consider Henry. A second-rounder doesn't seem unreasonable for a 26-year-old back who rushed for 23 TD's combined in 2002 and 2003, sixth best in the league during that span. But with Ronnie Brown, Carnell Williams and Cedric Benson as draft day alternatives, trading partners can wait until the Bills are desperate, knowing the team wants to deal Henry for extra picks in April's draft.
From pg 120 :feedback:

Yasgur's Farm
03-18-2005, 06:55 PM
I don't believe TD will act out of desperation. I believe he will wait for a team to become desperate during the preseason when they lose their starter for the season due to knee injury. Besides... Henry himself may become so financially desperate that he signs another extension with the Bills. That alone would increase his trade value.

Dicknoze69
03-18-2005, 07:14 PM
TD won't act in desperation, that's for sure.

Either it'll be a deal for fair value, or Henry will be a Bill next year.

Mr. Miyagi
03-18-2005, 07:18 PM
I don't know. Was the trade for Drew an act in desperation? :couch:

gobuffalo2007
03-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Screw henry hes a lost cause.
we need some OT now!!!!

Yasgur's Farm
03-18-2005, 07:22 PM
I don't know. Was the trade for Drew an act in desperation? :couch: Good point. I believe it was... But it's the only time he's done that. He's learned his lesson.

kevinj22
03-18-2005, 07:43 PM
At the time, the trade for Drew was the best thing we could do. And TD looked like a genius for a while. I don't think it was out of desperation, he really felt that Drew could help (so did all of us). I agree that he will be patient in making a trade for TH on draft day someone will come calling. I really feel that TD has a mega deal up his sleeve and if I'm wrong and he is just trying to save cap money then I can live with that too. GO BILLS

finsrclowns
03-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Let's bring him back. If we get Anderson he'll be able to experience the fun of having Henry run straight into his butt on 3rd and 1.

ShadowHawk7
03-19-2005, 01:42 PM
I don't know. Was the trade for Drew an act in desperation? :couch:
No, I don't think it was. We got a proven veteran from a rival that helped us a lot from 3-13 to 8-8 and made the Pro Bowl. Obviously we never could quite make the playoffs w/ him, but he was the best option available. It wasn't a deperation move.

Spiderweb
03-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Good point. I believe it was... But it's the only time he's done that. He's learned his lesson.

Drew wasn't really out of desparation. What would have been desparate would have been going into 2002 with Van Pelt as the starter....or worse yet, keeping RJ around...It made sense, just like it does now to move on from the Drew years.