• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Host
    Banned
    • Jul 2002

Coy Wire restructured, added a year

Meanwhile, the Bills made two other moves. They signed running back Joe Burns and guaranteed the return of special teams captain Coy Wire by restructuring his contract.

On the roster the past three years, Burns became a free agent March 2. He was fifth in special teams tackles last season.

Wire is the Bills' backup at strong safety and has been a special teams mainstay for three seasons. Escalators in his contract were scheduled to bring his salary up to $1.4 million, but the Bills brought that figure down in the restructuring to gain salary cap relief (how much was not available), and Wire now is under contract through 2006.
    more (Buffalo News)

Hopefully Clump will get salary figures soon.
    Updated signed per year page.
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

At least our Special Teams unit hasn't changed very much from last year. I just hope that McGee has the type of year he had last year. It makes it that much easier for Losman when the Special Teams and defense score for ya.

Comment

• chubluv
      BillsZone bowling team MVP
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by jamze132
      At least our Special Teams unit hasn't changed very much from last year. I just hope that McGee has the type of year he had last year. It makes it that much easier for Losman when the Special Teams and defense score for ya.
      thats very true, thats when the offense made that turn around last year when the D/St made it easier on them by scoring or giving them the ball in great field position.

We are in 5th place
      Clump is on the IR
      Chubluv average is 167
      Yaz average is 179[/B]

BDZ
      Become a member of BDZ !!!!

Comment

• Johnny Utah
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Feb 2005

I'm glad Wire is still on the team. He's a lousy backup, but a very good special teams player. I just hope he doesn't have to start again this season.

Comment

• clumping platelets

It was an escalator pegged to the 1st rd RFA tender of $1.43 million

Accurate information is tough to come by when reading the Buffalo Snooze

Comment

• djjimkelly
            • Apr 2003

im happy wire is back but he definately still wouldnt be the backup at either safety spot.

IS EVERYONE FORGETTING RASHAD BAKER?
            he is the backup

Comment

• tampabay25690
              • Feb 2004

Good move to keep or Special Teams captain intact. And free some space up, I think TD is trying to make a move right now....I guess we will have to wait and see..
              GO Gators!!!!!!
              GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Two very nice moves and both are for the Special Teams. Joe Burns did a nice job in the coverage team when he was out there. Wire was the captain. If only Prioleau did the same thing that Wire did.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

so izelle reese got benched.. then inactivated.. then no one in the nfl signs him..

and coy wire gets an extension..

just like you called it huh, juice?

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ryjam282
                    Offical Billszone Starting QB
                    • Mar 2003

I like the resigning. He is a good special teams player and makes a great fit on this team. I can't see him playing much on the defense but.....good job TD. Any details on the new contract?

Ryan Withey
                    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• juice
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka

so izelle reese got benched.. then inactivated.. then no one in the nfl signs him..

and coy wire gets an extension..

just like you called it huh, juice?

Wire was a steal in the draft.. best draft choice TD ever made.

A guy with his ability could have easily gone in the 2nd round.. when we lose Milloy he'll be the eventual starter - you sure were right about this super-stud Tonk.

He's the total package and a TD drafted player.. I wonder why he didn't ask for more money while he was restructuring his contract for the League minimum.

BTW officially was he given an extension or was it a pay cut?

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

where did i ever say that juice?? rofl.. now your just making **** up..

i do know that apparently the coaches disagree with your "reese is the best cover safety line.. along with the rest of the nfl.. who have no interest in signing him.

i do also know i asked you to put money on it, and you dodged it like a coward.. you said wire wouldnt even make the roster this year.. hmmm..

looks like since they just extended him.. you were off a bit.. but then again.. you have never really been right about much.. so we expect it.. you run when asked to back up your garbage.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• juice
                          • Aug 2003

You said he would be a starting FS Biotch.. STFU.

The only reason he's still around is because TD drafted him when he should've been an Undrafted Free Agent ant TD didn't want to admit he screwed up.

What position on defense can he play? Not FS or SS like you said. Your origonal stance was that he could transition to a DB and takeover at FS for Reese.. you were as wrong about that as TD was in wasting a draft choice on this scrub.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by juice
                            You said he would be a starting FS Biotch.. STFU.

The only reason he's still around is because TD drafted him when he should've been an Undrafted Free Agent ant TD didn't want to admit he screwed up.

What position on defense can he play? Not FS or SS like you said. Your origonal stance was that he could transition to a DB and takeover at FS for Reese.. you were as wrong about that as TD was in wasting a draft choice on this scrub.

we was a better FS than reese "the unemployed" was... which isnt saying much..

and i have stated so many times over that i was wrong, and that he wasnt a good fit for FS.. he IS currently the primary back up to Milloy.. and the captain of our special teams.. just like tasker was.. he has value.. unlike your boy reese.. who is so good at coverage, he cant get a job.

wire is still on the roster.. reese cant get a job in the nfl.. just face the music.. you have yet to admit that you made a HORRRIBLE call on reese..

I. Reese was aggressive on run defense yet maintained his primary coverage resposibilities with some good pass breakups, could he be the solution to The Bills FS Woes? Bills best FS performance of this short season, coverage is the key.

see this thread where you turned into a woman and ran away.. i called it perfectly.. and you coward in the corner.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                              • Feb 2005

Good work Wire and Burns.
                              Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

Working...
                              X