PDA

View Full Version : Should Rich Gannon Retire?

RetroRaiders81
03-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Al Davis has reported that he expects Rich Gannon to retire. "He took us to the Super Bowl. He was the [NFL] MVP [in 2002], but Gannon has a neck problem and he would be taking a chance of being crippled if he got hit in the wrong way," Who agree's with this? Last off-season he worked very hard to be in playing condition. Then after 3 games was injured by Derrick Brooks. He went 2-1 with a pretty bad team. If not with the Raiders, I think he would make a great backup up for someone. Give Rich time in the pocket and he can pick apart any defense.

Jersey1031
03-20-2005, 10:13 AM
he's gonna be 40 this year and has been in the nfl 18 years, his best years are behind him...

Mr. Miyagi
03-20-2005, 10:25 AM
With that neck injury and age, a big hell ya.

He's got the money. Should save the health to enjoy it. :up:

RetroRaiders81
03-20-2005, 10:32 AM
I agree with both of you, but I just hate to see him go out like he did. He is up there, but I still think he can be a backup.

Kerr
03-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Considering how bad his injury was I would say that if he were to be full time starter(doubtful now) I'd say yes, but as a backup I would say he would make a great one for a wco team who needs a mentor. So, no. I don't think he should retire yet.

RetroRaiders81
03-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Thats what I was thinking, have him for a mentor or something. Rich is a perfectionist, and could teach someone alot from looking at film.

helmetguy
03-20-2005, 03:17 PM
As long as he doesn't retire until AFTER the Bills rough him up. Otherwise, who really cares?

honey
03-20-2005, 03:21 PM
I thought he had already retired. :idunno:

He was a backup for the Vikes for so long, then went to the Raiders and did a lot better. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he hung it up. :smile:

RetroRaiders81
03-20-2005, 03:21 PM
As long as he doesn't retire until AFTER the Bills rough him up. Otherwise, who really cares?
Unless you guy's get a line, it will be Losman getting roughed up. Last year the raiders didn't have alot of sacks with the d-line, but sacked Bledsoe 7 times for a loss of 47 yds. This year were gonna have Derrick Burgess.

RetroRaiders81
03-20-2005, 03:23 PM
I thought he had already retired. :idunno:

He was a backup for the Vikes for so long, then went to the Raiders and did a lot better. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he hung it up. :smile:
He was the backup for the chief's.

gobuffalo2007
03-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Gannon represents what the raiders are.
Old and washed up!

RetroRaiders81
03-20-2005, 05:19 PM
Do I need to say the Avg. age on offense is 26. Know your facts before you speak.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Do I need to say the Avg. age on offense is 26. Know your facts before you speak.

The Raiders of a couple years ago were very old...but have gotten much younger in the past year, and are poised to make some noise in the AFC this year. I think they will catch a bunch of people napping.

Retro--I know the offense is not real old now...but how about the D?

I think Parella and Woodson are gone, right? Any other oldies still hanging around?

RetroRaiders81
03-21-2005, 10:02 AM
There's a couple, Sapp, Wahington and Hamilton are the older ones, all on the line, but signing Burgess helped that. They have alot of young guys, which may not be good, thay have alot to learn: Clark, Brayton, Asomugha, P. Buchanon.

Are you talking about Rod? Yah he's gone, Charles is in the process of being gone...hopefully.

I'm glad you understand, I'm sick of hearing the old and washed up thing. The second Moss signs with them he's "old and washed up"

gobuffalo2007
03-21-2005, 10:56 AM
The bottom line is the raiders are going no were fast. you need to get your facts right kid.

mysticsoto
03-21-2005, 11:03 AM
The Raiders of a couple years ago were very old...but have gotten much younger in the past year, and are poised to make some noise in the AFC this year. I think they will catch a bunch of people napping.

Retro--I know the offense is not real old now...but how about the D?

I think Parella and Woodson are gone, right? Any other oldies still hanging around?
Their Offense looks to be pretty much set. They will probably draft mostly Defense and infuse new blood this way.

mysticsoto
03-21-2005, 11:11 AM
The bottom line is the raiders are going no were fast. you need to get your facts right kid.
Why do you say that? I think the Raiders are going to be one of the hottest teams this year. With Moss, Porter and others, they should have a pretty fantastic WR corps. Lamont Jordan adds a good RB to them (they may also draft for a project that could develop). And they have a fantastic O-line with their new Center and Tackle (Gallery).

They do have aging veterans at Defense, but I expect they will pretty much strictly address defense at the draft and infuse new blood. They could address their RB in the 1st rd like many were predicting (Cadillac ???) But the more I think about it, the more I think they will go for defensive players since RBs are so plentiful on this draft and choose the likes of Derrick Johnson (OLB), Antrel Rolle (CB), Erasmus James (DE), Travis Johnson, (DT), etc in the 1st 2 rds.. They have alot of options they can do and still grab a quality RB later to learn and develop.

RetroRaiders81
03-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Yup, LB's mainly, they get a average D from draft picks, I think they'll be in the playoff's. The key this year is that they'll be able to control the clock with Jordan.

gobuffalo2007
03-21-2005, 11:31 AM
what is wrong with u people this is Okland we are talking about! they had a good enough team last year to at least win 8 but they didnt why because they have a terrible coaching staff.

RetroRaiders81
03-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Norv Turner, there's nothing wrong with him. Randy will fit in with the offense perfectly. Last year there was alot of changes. There defense was almost all new, new scheme, new coach. They needed time to adjust. The defense this year will be better, and more mature. There also going back to the 4-3.

There defense coordinator last year was Rob Ryan who coached the pats and made them what they are.
Joe Avezzano - Prolly the best special teams coach in the league right now. No offense to any of you bills fans, but I think Al is alot better than TD. Bill's have more cap space than the raiders and Al if he was on the Bill's, would have done alot by now.

gobuffalo2007
03-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Norv Turner, there's nothing wrong with him. Randy will fit in with the offense perfectly. Last year there was alot of changes. There defense was almost all new, new scheme, new coach. They needed time to adjust. The defense this year will be better, and more mature. There also going back to the 4-3.

There defense coordinator last year was Rob Ryan who coached the pats and made them what they are.
Joe Avezzano - Prolly the best special teams coach in the league right now. No offense to any of you bills fans, but I think Al is alot better than TD. Bill's have more cap space than the raiders and Al if he was on the Bill's, would have done alot by now.
I rest my case.

honey
03-21-2005, 03:13 PM
He was the backup for the chief's.
Yep, you're right. He went to the Raiders after being a backup for the Chiefs, the Skins and the Vikes. :smile:

gobuffalo2007
03-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Unless you guy's get a line, it will be Losman getting roughed up. Last year the raiders didn't have alot of sacks with the d-line, but sacked Bledsoe 7 times for a loss of 47 yds. This year were gonna have Derrick Burgess.Blesoe was a sitting duck.
oh and you guys still dont have an O-Line.

Dicknoze69
03-21-2005, 03:34 PM
If I was Gannon or his family, the answer is an unequivocal Yes.

jamze132
03-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Should Rich Gannon retire? Huh... I don't care.

Dozerdog
03-21-2005, 10:36 PM
It's not if he retires, it's when.

He's got a broken neck. The Raider's won't clear him to play, and he has no desire to be a quadraplegic.

He will retire - probably after June 1 or after an injury settlement is made.