PDA

View Full Version : Top Defense in the NFL?

buffmaniac
03-20-2005, 11:42 AM
I was reading a debate on a different board about which team has the best defense in football and I just wondered where do the Bills fit in. They are definitely top 5 but I really think one can make an argument that the Bills have the best defense in football. Just look at some of the rankings from last year:

Total Yds/Gm - 2
Yds/Play - 1
First Downs/Gm - T4
Passing Yds/Gm - 3
Opp. Comp. %- T1
INT - 2
Sacks - T3
Rushing Yds/Gm - 7
Yds/Rush - T2
Pts allowed/Gm - 8
Tds allowed - 3
Turnovers forced - 1

And I know we lost Pat which will hurt but I think Edwards and Anderson can do an adequate job filling in. Plus one has to remember that 3/4 of the year last season we were missing 1 of our 2 starting safeties so having them both healthy should help as well.

The only team that compares with us statistically is Pittsburgh but personally I think we are better. Here would be my top 5:

Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Philadelphia
New England
Honorable Mention to Washington

Thoughts?

Sportsuser101
03-20-2005, 12:16 PM
We made turnovers, made sacks, stopped the run and pass and stopped them from scoring. We were 1 of the top teams in all those categories. I think we were #1.

At times last year Edwards played like our best DT. I think he'll be up for the job.

Jersey1031
03-20-2005, 12:23 PM
The only team that compares with us statistically is Pittsburgh but personally I think we are better. Here would be my top 5:

Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Philadelphia
New England
Honorable Mention to Washington

Thoughts?

sounds agreeable...

ryjam282
03-20-2005, 12:29 PM
I think an argument can be made for Buffalo....But, of course no one will vote that high for a team that didn't make the playoffs, and couldn't stop Pittsbugh's 3rd stringers.

RetroRaiders81
03-20-2005, 12:47 PM
NE's Defense was pretty impressive in the playoff's.

Crisis
03-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Baltimore is now. They add Samari Rolle, dangerous.

feelthepain
03-20-2005, 12:52 PM
The AFC east has to have the toughest four D's in the league, all four could rank in the top 7.

gobuffalo2007
03-20-2005, 04:26 PM
God damn it Baltiomore? they are the most over rated defense ever just because they have ray lewis on there team please what has the guy done that most other great linebackers havent.
and as for pittsburg matching up against us they had the softest schedual in the league so acctually they should be #1 but the bills had a tougher all around schedual but still managed to make the #2 spot that says it all right there.

Bills #1 D next season!

gobuffalo2007
03-20-2005, 04:27 PM
The AFC east has to have the toughest four D's in the league, all four could rank in the top 7.
all 3 u mean miami isnt even a team right now.
and because you are a dolphins fan....NEGGED!

BigBen7
03-20-2005, 04:33 PM
It's not even close. Pittsburgh has the best overall defense in the NFL. The stats say it and they also gave up the fewest amount of points in the NFL and that is the #1 stat you judge a defense by. Buffalo is in the top 5 but they are nowhere near Pittsburgh because they couldn't stop the Steelers third stringers when the Steelers were just trying to get out of the game with nobody injured while the Bills were fighting for their playoff lives. Kind of embarassing.

gobuffalo2007
03-20-2005, 04:37 PM
It's not even close. Pittsburgh has the best overall defense in the NFL. The stats say it and they also gave up the fewest amount of points in the NFL and that is the #1 stat you judge a defense by. Buffalo is in the top 5 but they are nowhere near Pittsburgh because they couldn't stop the Steelers third stringers when the Steelers were just trying to get out of the game with nobody injured while the Bills were fighting for their playoff lives. Kind of embarassing.go back to your message board and whine over there ****** [edited by Bufftp-admin]
NEGGED!

BigBen7
03-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Why am I an a-hole? Sheesh just because your team sucks you don't have to take it out on me.

The Spaz
03-20-2005, 04:42 PM
go back to your message board and whine over there *******!
NEGGED!

Don't try and fiddle with the profanity tool.:up:

gobuffalo2007
03-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Why am I an a-hole? Sheesh just because your team sucks you don't have to take it out on me.

Id rather have my team miss the playoffs than go to the playoffs and get destroyed.

buffmaniac
03-20-2005, 05:18 PM
It's not even close. Pittsburgh has the best overall defense in the NFL.

Not even close? Pitt's stats:

Total Yds/Gm - 1
Yds/Play - T3
First Downs/Gm - 2
Passing Yds/Gm - 4
Opp. Comp. %- 4
INT - T9
Sacks - T7
Rushing Yds/Gm - 1
Yds/Rush - T2
Pts allowed/Gm - 1
Tds allowed - 1
Turnovers forced - 11

So out of these 12 categories: Buffalo is better in 6, Pitt is better in 5, and 1 is even.
Both defenses are very good and one can make an argument for both as the top overall defense. But to say its not even close is ridiculous.

Crisis
03-20-2005, 05:22 PM
LOL. I see that former Bills fan has changed names.

gobuffalo2007
03-20-2005, 05:22 PM
go back to your message board and whine over there ass hole!
NEGGED!
it wont let me edit this post so i will apologize.

Bufftp
03-20-2005, 05:26 PM
it wont let me edit this post so i will apologize.

no problem I edited it , thanks for apologizing and have fun.

BigBen7
03-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Id rather have my team miss the playoffs than go to the playoffs and get destroyed.

That might be the dumbest comment ever written on Billszone.com.

The Spaz
03-20-2005, 05:39 PM
That might be the dumbest comment ever written on Billszone.com.

LMAO you are the same guy that you quit being a bills fan. How do I know, you have the same IP address.:rofl:

BigBen7
03-20-2005, 05:42 PM
LOL I don't care!!! Nerd :loser:

gobuffalo2007
03-20-2005, 05:44 PM
That might be the dumbest comment ever written on Billszone.com.is it? after all your on this board

The Spaz
03-20-2005, 05:46 PM
LOL I don't care!!! Nerd :loser:

I don't care either Mr. bandwagon.

BigBen7
03-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Dude it's sports. Not life or death. Yep I'm a bandwagon fan and I don't care. After all, it's kind of degrading that we worship teams who their players don't give a damn about us and they are multi-millionaires and the majority of their fans don't make more than 20k/yr. It's unfortunate.

It's sports!! Who cares if your a bandwagoner or a diehard? And to be honest, MOST fans are fair weather and bandwagoner's!

I don't care either Mr. bandwagon.

STAMPY
03-20-2005, 06:31 PM
The VIKINGS will have a legit top 5 DEFENSE next season IMO

RetroRaiders81
03-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Dude it's sports. Not life or death. Yep I'm a bandwagon fan and I don't care. After all, it's kind of degrading that we worship teams who their players don't give a damn about us and they are multi-millionaires and the majority of their fans don't make more than 20k/yr. It's unfortunate.

It's sports!! Who cares if your a bandwagoner or a diehard? And to be honest, MOST fans are fair weather and bandwagoner's!

You are a disgrace. Following one team through there hard times and what not just makes it so much better when they do win.

STAMPY
03-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Big Bens a homo

EDS
03-20-2005, 06:46 PM

Baltimore may have added Rolle but lost Baxter and will lose Hartwell. Hartwell is a significant loss. I can't image they would fall out of the top 10, but they have been bleeding talent over the years.

RetroRaiders81
03-20-2005, 06:46 PM
You just offended a handful of people Stampy.

Throne Logic
03-20-2005, 06:59 PM
This defense has the personnel to be great. Many of the stats are top in the league. However, I just don't get that confident feeling of being in control when the game is on the line and in the hands of the defense. I truly hope that changes this year.

My primary issue with Buffalo's defense is their inability to come through when they are needed the most. I've posted my theory on this before. The problem is that Buffalo's defense is strictly a big play defense. They either come up with a turnover or let another team march on down for points. This explains why teams who protect the ball tend to beat Buffalo. It also explains why Buffalo's D can't seem to put anyone away toward the end of close games - teams start to really emphasize ball protection at that point and cut down on risky plays that were previously the turnover opportunities.

I noticed that there was no stat posted for where Buffalo ranks on 3rd down & 4th down conversions. I'd like to see that one. I'm sure there must have been a 4th down stop somewhere last season, though I can't think of any off-hand. . .

Throne Logic
03-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Baltimore may have added Rolle but lost Baxter and will lose Hartwell. Hartwell is a significant loss. I can't image they would fall out of the top 10, but they have been bleeding talent over the years.

Ed Reed is an amazing young talent at the safety position. McAlister may be a headcase, but he's pretty good too. Terrell Suggs is solid.

They've still got some good players. But I agree with you, they'll be in the lower half of the top 10. Last season, their defense underachieved. I realize their offensive inadequacies had something to do with that, but with that talent, they should have been able to control the game better than they managed.

chernobylwraiths
03-20-2005, 07:13 PM

:shocked:

I think you will be in the minority there. You and Mr. Cynical. Unless... :scratch:

thebuffalobills4
03-20-2005, 07:28 PM
It's not even close. Pittsburgh has the best overall defense in the NFL. The stats say it and they also gave up the fewest amount of points in the NFL and that is the #1 stat you judge a defense by. Buffalo is in the top 5 but they are nowhere near Pittsburgh because they couldn't stop the Steelers third stringers when the Steelers were just trying to get out of the game with nobody injured while the Bills were fighting for their playoff lives. Kind of embarassing.
tell you the truth,you guys started most of your starters throughout the game.
i definely know the steelers o line was in though out the game.and if you look at the stats which you proably don't,we were pretty close to being #1 in the
nfl in d last yr.why are you even on our boards?dang its good just having all bills members on the board,but i guess trolls just want to screw it up and say crap when its one of them and a 1000 of us.
to clump:can you please make a zone were trolls can talk crap about the bills
with out coming on our topics and saying crap all the time please :pray:

Bling
03-20-2005, 07:31 PM
By far the most consistent Defense is the Patriots. I'll follow that by the Steelers, Philadelphia, Ravens, Bills.

Now, most of you are homers and I'll expect you to rag on me, but your Defense is not as great as you think it is.

gobuffalo2007
03-20-2005, 07:32 PM
:shocked:

I think you will be in the minority there. You and Mr. Cynical. Unless... :scratch:
wait your telling me you would rather see the bills get ripped apart in the playoffs which would mean we know there not that good.
Than the bills miss the playoffs which leaves anything open like saying if the bills would have made the playoffs they would have gone all the way.
I think ill take not making the playoffs.
im not saying i dont want the bills to go to the playoffs or anything.
it sounds worse than it really is.

LVGrown
03-20-2005, 07:32 PM

Eddie Hartwell went to high school and graduated with my ex here in Vegas, (Cheyanne HS) I was kind of forced into liking him. BUT in the force I became a pretty big fan and even hung out with him a few times ... they will totally miss him ... on the field and off. I am glad I decided to hold off on getting his jersey!

Erin

Bling
03-20-2005, 07:38 PM
wait your telling me you would rather see the bills get ripped apart in the playoffs which would mean we know there not that good.
Than the bills miss the playoffs which leaves anything open like saying if the bills would have made the playoffs they would have gone all the way.

You'll never forget the people you hurt when you were high...

STAMPY
03-20-2005, 07:39 PM
You just offended a handful of people Stampy.

What are you talking about?

RetroRaiders81
03-20-2005, 07:41 PM
I see alot of Pot references towards this guy. He doesn't smoke, he's just naturally dumb.

gobuffalo2007
03-20-2005, 07:41 PM
You'll never forget the people you hurt when you were high...
im not high im just....no wait im high.

gobuffalo2007
03-20-2005, 07:42 PM
I see alot of Pot references towards this guy. He doesn't smoke, he's just naturally dumb.this guy goes to my school he smells so bad, and has nasty sex with all the scummy fat girls in school.
stay away from him trust me.

chernobylwraiths
03-20-2005, 08:00 PM

Yes, I would rather make the playoffs and lose badly than never make it.

I wouldn't trade ONE of those Superbowl losses if the alternative was to not even make the playoffs.

Just look at all the people *****ing about the Bills not making the playoffs now.

gr8slayer
03-20-2005, 09:23 PM
With the addition of Samari Rolle I think that the Ravens are back to being number one.