PDA

View Full Version : Should the Pass Interference Rule Change?

Romes
03-20-2005, 07:30 PM
NFL | Proposals for New Rules to Boost Defense - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:20:51 -0800

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs president and general manager Carl Peterson is sponsoring a set of proposals at this week's NFL meetings in Hawaii that would modify the passing rules and assist the defense. One would keep illegal defensive contact as a 5-yard penalty but not an automatic first down, as it currently is. The other would be to institute the college football rule for pass interference and make it a 15-yard penalty unless it was flagrant, in which case it would be a spot foul. Pass interference within 15 yards would also be spot fouls.

I would actually like to see the pass intereference rule changed. I always that it was unfair that a debatable PI call can change the flow of the game. This way the penalty still is a harsh one but it gives the defense the ability to play tighter and not be as scared of a PI call.

It also covers against the flip-side if a DB intentionally fouls a WR just to get 15-yards instead of where the WR might have made the play.

:feedback:

STAMPY
03-20-2005, 07:47 PM
i like the rules as they are

The_Philster
03-20-2005, 07:52 PM
I like the changes they're talking about. It'll help level the playing field for defenses and the changes they're asking for in instant replay can help the games be called better.

Pride
03-20-2005, 07:56 PM
NFL wont go for it... they want poitns and excitement...

Defense wins championships, but Offense fills the stadium

Romes
03-20-2005, 08:02 PM
I like the changes they're talking about. It'll help level the playing field for defenses and the changes they're asking for in instant replay can help the games be called better.

I agree. Thats why I want to see these rules put in place.

NFL wont go for it... they want poitns and excitement...

Defense wins championships, but Offense fills the stadium

You are probably right but i still think the NFL can improve the game if they change this rule.

DraftBoy
03-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Id like to see it more defined than changed as it is WR's could get away with murder and not be called for offensive pass interference were as a CB sneezes on a WR and its a flag.

gr8slayer
03-20-2005, 09:21 PM
I liked it before the Colts started *****ing about it, make the WR's earn their catches.

Dozerdog
03-20-2005, 09:24 PM
The NFL should simplify and streamline their rules. It's to damn complicated.

As far as a catch is concerned, what is in bounds, out of bounds, what is a trap, a tuck rule, blah-blah- blah. Interpritation should be replaced with black & white. Like the dumb "forced out of bounds rule" reward a guy for making a defensive play. Two feet in or nothing. Or even better- college rule of one foot in. Will take away even more ambiguity like 1 body part =2 feet in bounds....or "Did he have a continuing catch" when he drops it out of bounds after a catch. If it's no contact after 5 yards then no contact...period.

SoCalBillsFan
03-21-2005, 01:58 AM
THe college PI rules are way better...you never know if a pass is going to be completed, and a ticky tack PI call shouldn't result in a 40 yard gain. 15 and an auto 1st down is good enough

colin
03-21-2005, 04:26 AM
the rules are fine as they are, if a bit complicated, they need to allow instant replay to work on non calls in certain situations, and the refs have to be trained to make better and more consistent calls.

changin the rules again will just result in more confustion.

YardRat
03-21-2005, 05:21 AM
I like the changes and agree that the rules in general need to be simplified.

The biggest problem rules are the ones that are subjective of an officials judgement...make them more cut and dried and take the ref's opinions out of the game.

OpIv37
03-21-2005, 05:26 PM
I like the changes and agree that the rules in general need to be simplified.

The biggest problem rules are the ones that are subjective of an officials judgement...make them more cut and dried and take the ref's opinions out of the game.

here's the problem- with the new proposed rule, the officials will have to make a judgement call if it's a spot foul or 15 yards. I can see it late in a close game- the Pats commit PI on the Bills, but it's a 15 yarder and the team can only manage a field goal. Then the Pats score the winning touchdown immediately following a 40 yard spot foul. Anything that involves the official's judgement will never benefit the Bills.