PDA

View Full Version : As I look back on the McGahee situation

Pride
03-21-2005, 08:29 AM
I was very agaisnt drafting McGahee 2 years ago... as I felt loyal to Henry.

I was also concerned that they may rush Willis back to see what he had.

I am very impressed with how the Bills organization has handled the whole thing.

1. They take a chance on drafting him...
2. Sit him for the whole year last year... never giving him a chance to touch the field during a game. So, while he rehabed, he also learned without any stress.
3. This year, he was #2 on the roster... and Henry was given his fair chance to get play time.
4. They slowly eased McGahee into the games... getting 5-10 carries a game for the first few weeks. Which, turned out to be a great test... and confidence booster for the kid.
5. Then they admit he is #1... and hand him the reigns. Meanwhile he is backing up his play outstandingly.
6. They go into this offseason, fully aware that TH wouldnt draw a ton of interest. Stuck by their guns and now it looks like TH will be a Bill next year. Talk about a solid backup!

IMO the whole thing could not have worked out better!

:bow: TD and Mularky!

The King
03-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Only thing I worry about is McGahee's durability there were like 10 plays last year where I didnt think he was getting up and I know most Bills fans felt the same way. If he stays healthy we have a top 10 back with the best stiff arm in the league. I like keeping Travis JIC though.

gobuffalo2007
03-21-2005, 08:43 AM
well i wouldnt bow to TD and mularky because if henry hadnt goten hurt we might be singing a different tune.
with henry as starter:4-12
with mcahee:12-4
next season 12-4 thats my prediction.

Mr. Miyagi
03-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Uh, we're not keeping Henry JIC. He won't start the season as a Bill.

clumping platelets
03-21-2005, 08:50 AM
I'm not.....I had to eat a single order of "Wys Guy" wings :mad:

BAM
03-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Uh, we're not keeping Henry JIC. He won't start the season as a Bill.

Where's he gonna go? I wouldn't be surprised if he stays around.

Marvelous
03-21-2005, 09:11 AM
I was very worried on those select plays that Willis looked like he was dead.

*I liked what i saw from him in the passing game. Drew wasn't huge on passing to Henry as i recall Henry always waving his hands wide open and Drew ignored him. JP would be wise to throw alot of dumpoffs.

**Mcgahee had that huge screen that he took house for like 60 or 70 yards.
<<<<< phantom holding !! >>>>>>wtf

Mr. Miyagi
03-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Where's he gonna go? I wouldn't be surprised if he stays around.
If he's not traded, I bet he holds out.

RetroRaiders81
03-21-2005, 10:40 AM
well i wouldnt bow to TD and mularky because if henry hadnt goten hurt we might be singing a different tune.
with henry as starter:4-12
with mcahee:12-4
next season 12-4 thats my prediction.

11-5 tops, I think we'd all be happy with that.

gobuffalo2007
03-21-2005, 10:50 AM
11-5 tops, I think we'd all be happy with that.
wont be happy till a super bowl win.
4 super bowl wins straight.

djjimkelly
03-21-2005, 10:55 AM
i dont think henry will be a bill come draft day. some one is gonna be dissapointed on draft day when they dont their RB in top 10 and they will jump to the front of the line for a RB. in a perfect world it would still be henry for shelton. and i think just becuz no one is talking about it it seems more likely now.

BillsFanCupp38
03-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Only thing I worry about is McGahee's durability there were like 10 plays last year where I didnt think he was getting up and I know most Bills fans felt the same way. If he stays healthy we have a top 10 back with the best stiff arm in the league. I like keeping Travis JIC though.
McGahee is tough as nails. When he jumps up in the air to get a few extra yards and their dudes smashing at his knee, he gets up and starts celebrating. The game where he went out for the swing pass and got his leg caught in the turf, everybodies chin dropped. But ill be damned the S O B came back next week and had a hundred yards and 2 touchdowns against the 9ners... Now thats TOUGH AS NAILS :bow:

RetroRaiders81
03-21-2005, 11:06 AM
His ligaments are slowly deteriating.

Yah I know thats spelled wrong.

gobuffalo2007
03-21-2005, 11:39 AM
His ligaments are slowly deteriating.

Yah I know thats spelled wrong.
do you know anything? McGahee is 100% nothing is wrong if there was something wrong last year he would have been taken out with one of those huge hits he took.

ExWNYer
03-21-2005, 12:08 PM
I was very agaisnt drafting McGahee 2 years ago... as I felt loyal to Henry.

I was also concerned that they may rush Willis back to see what he had.

I am very impressed with how the Bills organization has handled the whole thing.

1. They take a chance on drafting him...
2. Sit him for the whole year last year... never giving him a chance to touch the field during a game. So, while he rehabed, he also learned without any stress.
3. This year, he was #2 on the roster... and Henry was given his fair chance to get play time.
4. They slowly eased McGahee into the games... getting 5-10 carries a game for the first few weeks. Which, turned out to be a great test... and confidence booster for the kid.
5. Then they admit he is #1... and hand him the reigns. Meanwhile he is backing up his play outstandingly.
6. They go into this offseason, fully aware that TH wouldnt draw a ton of interest. Stuck by their guns and now it looks like TH will be a Bill next year. Talk about a solid backup!

IMO the whole thing could not have worked out better!

:bow: TD and Mularky!

I was very surprised but very happy when the Bills selected McGahee. I knew he wouldn't play in '03 but I thought he'd be dynamite in '04, ala Edge in Indy, if given the chance. I was in Vegas during that draft and came back to my room to see the Bills' choice...maybe the venue was the reason I was happy! :lol:
Anyway, as much as I like(d) TH I thought he was one dimensional. What you see is what you get, but in WM the Bills had a chance to get an elite, star RB.
I agree that they handled WM in the right way and they are now reaping the dividends for taking a gamble on him.

DMBcrew36
03-21-2005, 12:22 PM
i dont think henry will be a bill come draft day. some one is gonna be dissapointed on draft day when they dont their RB in top 10 and they will jump to the front of the line for a RB. in a perfect world it would still be henry for shelton. and i think just becuz no one is talking about it it seems more likely now.
I agree. I think that if Henry is still a Bill come draft day, a team will find themselves with their backs to the wall with no legit RB to pick in the draft.

Forward_Lateral
03-21-2005, 01:00 PM

That would be career suicide on Henry's part. No teams want him now, who the heck is going to want an injury prone RB who sat out an entire season? RB's can't afford to miss seasons, they don't have many good years as it is. I think Henry won't have a choice but to come back as a backup if TD can't find any takers for him.

jamze132
03-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Henry is not going to hold out if he's on our roster. I doubt he will be on our roster but if so, he will spell Mcgahee when needed. Travis has everything to play for next year if he's a Bill. He know's he's not going to be a starter unless Mcgahee go's down. He wants to get paid after next season when his contract is up. He will run his little ass off when he's called upon.

Unless we get Shelton from Arizona, I want to see Henry in a Bills uniform next year.