View Full Version : Henry: "I'm definitely not going back"

Philagape
03-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Hot off the AP wire!

By JOHN WAWROW
AP Sports Writer

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) … Travis Henry is through playing
for the Buffalo Bills, prepared to sit out as long as it takes
the team to trade him, the running back said Monday.
"I'm definitely not going back to Buffalo if that's what you
want to hear," Henry told The Associated Press from his home in
Orlando, Fla. "No minicamps. No training camp. No nothing. ...
I packed my stuff and left. As soon as the season was over, I
was out of there and I didn't have any plans of coming back."
The Bills granted Henry permission in January to speak to
other teams about a potential trade. Of the teams that
expressed interest, Henry said the Arizona Cardinals have
offered to trade starting left tackle L.J. Shelton in a
player-for-player deal.
Henry doesn't understand why the Bills … in need of
offensive line help … haven't accepted the offer. Henry added
he's willing to play for Arizona, a team in need of a starting
running back since Emmitt Smith's retirement last month.
"The whole situation, it's really frustrating," Henry said.
"I just want to move on with my life and my career."
... Henry believes the Shelton trade would help both teams,
considering the Bills lost three offensive linemen to free
agency earlier this month, including starting left tackle Jonas
Jennings, who has since signed with San Francisco.
"They said they weren't just going to let me go. I
understand that," Henry said. "But here's a win-win situation.
... Arizona has shown interest. They've shown they're ready to
pull the trigger. And Donahoe is taking his poor little
precious time for some reason."
... What bothers Henry even more is how the Bills, last month,
granted Drew Bledsoe's request to be released after the
starting quarterback was unwilling to accept a secondary role
behind J.P. Losman. Bledsoe has since signed with Dallas.
"He wasn't going to be a backup and I ain't going to be no
backup," Henry said. "They shipped Drew out of there. I want to
be shipped out of there, point blank."

buffmaniac
03-21-2005, 05:30 PM
I wonder how true his comments are about Arizona. If it is true, I think we would make the trade. But all reports say Arizona isn't interested in Henry and are looking to the draft for a RB.

OpIv37
03-21-2005, 05:33 PM
bull****. Henry wants too high of a signing bonus and the Cardinals won't deal. Either that or TD won't pull the trigger cuz the Cards want a draft pick as well, which is too much for Shelton. Henry's just trying to make the org look bad, and I can see why he'd have animosity towards TD for drafting McGahee in the first place. But I wish he'd stop being such a whiny little ***** and just accept his fate.

Sportsuser101
03-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Heck just keep him for being a jerk. Lower his value even more then it already is.

Samphin1
03-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Reports I have read earlier today say that Arizona is looking to move up with either Miami or Cleveland to land one of the big three RB's in the draft. I wonder if they got frustrated with negotiations for Henry and walked away?

I would think a Shelton for Henry trade is fair too, but who knows, perhaps there is more to it than what Henry said. Would you guys cut him if he continued to hold out? If he does, his stock will fall even further leaving Buffalo very little in terms of compensation. Perhaps it owuld be best to just let him walk away before team chemistry is ruined.

Slim
03-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Heck just keep him for being a jerk. Lower his value even more then it already is.

amen, i want it to truely help the team WHEN we deal him

OpIv37
03-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Reports I have read earlier today say that Arizona is looking to move up with either Miami or Cleveland to land one of the big three RB's in the draft. I wonder if they got frustrated with negotiations for Henry and walked away?

I would think a Shelton for Henry trade is fair too, but who knows, perhaps there is more to it than what Henry said. Would you guys cut him if he continued to hold out? If he does, his stock will fall even further leaving Buffalo very little in terms of compensation. Perhaps it owuld be best to just let him walk away before team chemistry is ruined.

I'd rather keep him on and get SOMETHING for him, even if it's just a 3rd rounder. If he refuses to play this year, he's f'd more than the Bills are because his value will decline and he's a free agent after this season anyway. If a trade can't be worked out, he's going to have to play his heart out for us in hopes of a future payday. And if he continues to act like this in the locker room, it will just decrease his value with other teams.

Bill Brasky
03-21-2005, 05:41 PM

That would just prove what he's complaining about, not to mention ruin his career.

Throne Logic
03-21-2005, 05:43 PM
bull****. Henry wants too high of a signing bonus and the Cardinals won't deal.

It really does not matter what Henry wants or doesn't want. His contract is the property of the Buffalo Bills. Without a no-trade clause, Henry has no say in what happens. It's more likely that AZ is concerned about the pissing and moaning.

Romes
03-21-2005, 05:43 PM
:link:

OpIv37
03-21-2005, 05:47 PM
It really does not matter what Henry wants or doesn't want. His contract is the property of the Buffalo Bills. Without a no-trade clause, Henry has no say in what happens. It's more likely that AZ is concerned about the pissing and moaning.

I should have elaborated more- do you think AZ is going to trade for a player with one year left on his contract? AZ probably wants to restructure and he wants too much of a signing bonus, so they won't sign off on the trade until they get Henry to commit to a contract of their liking.

Philagape
03-21-2005, 05:48 PM

Sorry ... I work at a newspaper and get stuff directly off the wire, not the Internet.

Crisis
03-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Why would we release him? We'd be better off getting a comp pick when his contract is up.

Romes
03-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Sorry ... I work at a newspaper and get stuff directly off the wire, not the Internet.

Thats cool...i was just checking since it isn't up on the internet yet. I wanted to make sure the article wasn't fabricated. It seems to indepth to be a fake.

Good job on the early report. :up:

gggbills
03-21-2005, 05:56 PM

The problem is if TH tells any team that he will not play under his current contract, then the team has to give him a new one (plus signing bonus), or risk him sitting out on them. I would keep him until we get what we want, let him sit out if he wants. Giving him up for just anything just because he claims he will sit out sets a bad example. Next thing you know, every one will be using that tactic. Let him sit out....in fact TH if you are reading this board..(assuming you can read), I dare you sit out!!!!

Tatonka
03-21-2005, 05:56 PM
henry can not afford not to play.. if he sits out of training camp and acts like an ungrateful little *****.. then let he see how it feels to not get a paycheck.. if he thinks he will have a career after sitting out an entire year, he is sorely mistaken.. he will end up being the equivelent of anthony thomas when he does hit the market a year from now.

funny thing is.. if henry wasnt spending him money picking up underage gas station hookers, he would not have had to sign the one year extension for chump change.. he would be a free agent right now and signed with a team, possibly.. that is if he could get off his high horse and lower his "reported" requests for a huge signing bonus.

it is tough to know what to believe.. donahoe has not stated specifically what arizona offered.. and there is no link to what is written above.. reports out of buffalo and arizona both totally contridict what henry is saying.

and if henry made that comment about bledsoe.. i think it is funny.. bledsoe got released after no one wanted to trade for him.. the world knows he is washed up. and bledsoe had a big salary.. so we couldnt keep him.. if bledsoe was making 1 million a year.. then he would probably still be here as the back up.

Mudflap1
03-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Henry's not too smart...

Jon

Mahdi
03-21-2005, 06:02 PM
To be fair to Travis, if there is a deal to be made to send him to AZ straight up for Shelton then it should be made. Henry was a warrior for us until last season and he kept his mouth shut the whole year. If ihe is blocking the trade due to high contract demands then that is obviously his fault.

Romes
03-21-2005, 06:05 PM
found it...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-unhappyhenry&prov=ap&type=lgns

The_Philster
03-21-2005, 06:08 PM

found it...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-unhappyhenry&prov=ap&type=lgns
also at www.billszone.com :;

lordofgun
03-21-2005, 06:25 PM
If Henry holds out the entire year, he still owes the Bills a year, and wouldn't become a FA, correct?

The_Philster
03-21-2005, 06:27 PM
If Henry holds out the entire year, he still owes the Bills a year, and wouldn't become a FA, correct?

:scratch: that's possible...not sure, though :idunno:

feelthepain
03-21-2005, 06:40 PM
I'll give ya' a ham sandwich for him!:pig:

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-21-2005, 06:44 PM
henry can not afford not to play.. if he sits out of training camp and acts like an ungrateful little *****.. then let he see how it feels to not get a paycheck.. if he thinks he will have a career after sitting out an entire year, he is sorely mistaken.. he will end up being the equivelent of anthony thomas when he does hit the market a year from now.

funny thing is.. if henry wasnt spending him money picking up underage gas station hookers, he would not have had to sign the one year extension for chump change.. he would be a free agent right now and signed with a team, possibly.. that is if he could get off his high horse and lower his "reported" requests for a huge signing bonus.

it is tough to know what to believe.. donahoe has not stated specifically what arizona offered.. and there is no link to what is written above.. reports out of buffalo and arizona both totally contridict what henry is saying.

and if henry made that comment about bledsoe.. i think it is funny.. bledsoe got released after no one wanted to trade for him.. the world knows he is washed up. and bledsoe had a big salary.. so we couldnt keep him.. if bledsoe was making 1 million a year.. then he would probably still be here as the back up.

What he said.

Mr. Cynical
03-21-2005, 06:48 PM
I dunno....I'm trying to remember the Barry situation. He wanted a trade, they wouldn't deal him, so he left. He couldn't return until his contract ran out, but I don't remember them saying he owed them those years (just the bonus money). I could be wrong though. :idunno:

Anyway, with regards to TH.....if he sits out, does he still get his salary? If not, then how does that impact the cap? Does it sit in escrow or something?

DraftBoy
03-21-2005, 06:50 PM
I dunno....I'm trying to remember the Barry situation. He wanted a trade, they wouldn't deal him, so he left. He couldn't return until his contract ran out, but I don't remember them saying he owed them those years (just the bonus money). I could be wrong though. :idunno:

Anyway, with regards to TH.....if he sits out, does he still get his salary? If not, then how does that impact the cap? Does it sit in escrow or something?

Dont know about that but every day he misses of camp should be a 150k fine

Mr. Cynical
03-21-2005, 06:59 PM
I think the rule should be if he voluntarily sits out, then all the money owed to him should free up. It should be like cutting him without any dead cap hit!

The Natrix
03-21-2005, 07:00 PM
If Henry thinks any team is going to restructure him for more money after (if) he is traded, then he's an idiot. Sure, he had a couple nice seasons, but he looked horrible this past season before Willis stepped in. IMO, he should be open to the possibility of playing in Buffalo this upcoming season because if he is still as good as he thinks he is, his stock will go up. If he goes into the season with a positive attitude and works hard, and is still good, he will get 5-8 carries a game behind Willis and the possibility of getting 20-30 if Willis goes down. If he performs like a starter, he will get paid accordingly as a FA, just like Lamont Jordan.

McClane
03-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Here's more of the article:

Shelton, a first-round pick in 1999, has started 77 games. Falling out of favor with Cardinals' first-year coach Dennis Green last season, Shelton had only nine starts and missed the final three games with a left knee injury.

Shelton, who has the Cardinals permission to seek a trade, visited the Bills last month.

He has four more years left on his contract that will pay him $3 million a season -- very affordable for a Bills team that has little room left under the salary cap.

What frustrates Henry is that the Bills knew this running back dispute could arise when they drafted McGahee. And Henry thought he was being a team player when he didn't reveal his frustrations after he was demoted last season.

"It was tough for me being in the locker room last year," Henry said. "I didn't make a big deal out of everything that was happening. I didn't understand it, but I dealt with it."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2018643

Admittedly I can understand Henry's frustration...he was a pro after the drafting of McGahee and losing his starting job...despite being upset...and we let Drew go immediately due to his unhappiness of losing his starting gig....

I also don't understand why, if in fact it is true, we haven't accepted that trade for Shelton yet...

Dicknoze69
03-21-2005, 07:11 PM
I think TH is just posturing us to deal him, even if the deal isn't suitable for us.

Shelton for TH may have been discussed, but there's clearly something holding it up. I think it's Denny's desire for one of the Big 3 RB's in the draft. Henry will be a Bill until someone caves, probably right around draft day.

Scumbag College
03-21-2005, 07:42 PM
http://www.azcardinals.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020806

Here's a link to the AZ Cardinals message board. (Yeah, there's one of those.) Looks kinda 50/50 between their fans wanting Henry and wanting to pass on him. I can't blame them, he's being a baby IMO and I wouldn't want the Bills to trade for someone taking this approach to the situation.

Throne Logic
03-21-2005, 07:47 PM
I should have elaborated more- do you think AZ is going to trade for a player with one year left on his contract? AZ probably wants to restructure and he wants too much of a signing bonus, so they won't sign off on the trade until they get Henry to commit to a contract of their liking.

Depends on how bad they want to move Shelton. Market for him is going away fast. I realize that AZ would like to sign him to a longer term deal.

Henry pretty much screwed himself. He whined about the signing bonus. Now he's whining about not getting traded. Sleep in the bed you make . . .

jpdex12
03-21-2005, 07:51 PM
I have utmost respect for Henry, but sometimes life kicks you when you are down and you need to rise up even stronger afterwards to prove yourself. Henry is a proven RB, but the injuries that he sustained last year and a slow start hurt his trade potential. He has to understand the facts and accept them for what they are. I believe that his agent isn't doing him any justice if he's sugar coating the situation with the trade and his ability to hold out for something big like Lamont Jordan. The rookie RB's in the draft and two top FA's (James & Alexander) hurt his situation even more.

I have to think that some of what Henry says is true because why would he say that TD wasn't holding things up if he wasn't? TH is complaining about TD holding things up so that leads me to believe that TH will accept a one year contract and play out the last year of his current contract or negotiate a one year deal if Arizona wants that. Why else would TH be complaining? If TD would accept less for the trade, like maybe a straight up trade for Shelton, then it seems that the deal would get done. The one thing that I do remember TD saying is that he would NOT just give him away. If it were TH that was being stubborn and wanting a long term deal, then that wouldn't make sense for him to bad mouth TD. It wouldn't get him anywhere.
Henry's trade potential cannot get any worse. If he sits out the year it won't mean that he is any worse of a player physically. His injury and lack of playing has done a good enough job diminishing his value. Remember Keenan McCardell? He sat out most of the year and then provided a nice addition to the Chargers last year, and he's 30+.
If we keep TH and let him sit or even backup Willis, he won't be worth **** to us when he turns FA. We won't tag him because that may be saved for Clements and we wouldn't get anything for TH by tagging him. That's like Donavan Darius getting tagged.
We need to take what we can get for him now or before the draft and pedal him.

unpaid_bills
03-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Who cares what Henry wants? Last I checked TD is the boss. Me personally I would make him stay in Buffalo just out of spite. Why trade him for nothing less than a starting OL or a good draft choice. He is under contract

Throne Logic
03-21-2005, 07:55 PM

Now that would be damned funny! Mexican Standoff.

He'd end up retiring a Bill . . .

Throne Logic
03-21-2005, 07:58 PM
If Henry thinks any team is going to restructure him for more money after (if) he is traded, then he's an idiot. Sure, he had a couple nice seasons, but he looked horrible this past season before Willis stepped in. IMO, he should be open to the possibility of playing in Buffalo this upcoming season because if he is still as good as he thinks he is, his stock will go up. If he goes into the season with a positive attitude and works hard, and is still good, he will get 5-8 carries a game behind Willis and the possibility of getting 20-30 if Willis goes down. If he performs like a starter, he will get paid accordingly as a FA, just like Lamont Jordan.

Ah, but you are assuming intelligence. With Henry, you'll need to leave that out of the equation.

Typ0
03-21-2005, 08:04 PM
He got benched and for good reason not just becuase WM was here....if WM wasn't here he would have gotten benched for joe burns becuase he was doing NOTHING. I would not be surprised, with Henrys running style if he's not already used up. It's a crap shoot for any team that takes him on and I don't think it would be wise to give him a long term contract right away...that could be the problem here.

Typ0
03-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Ah, but you are assuming intelligence. With Henry, you'll need to leave that out of the equation.

apparently he has a dumb ass for an agent too :snicker:

G. Host
03-21-2005, 08:06 PM

No. He needs to be available for at least 7 games.

Henry would do a Galloway and sit out until last minute and come into season out of shape and expect to be on roster for last 7 games.

Bills ought to fine him maximum amount every practice and game and make players understand that when you sign a contract you can not do an Andre Reed (get angry and ask to be released) when you are not starter.

Ickybaluky
03-21-2005, 08:12 PM

It depends on what the team does.

If the team sends the player a "5-day letter", when he fails to report, the player has 5 days to get into camp. If the player fails to report in the allotted time, he is placed on the "Reserve-Did Not Report" list and is out for the season. He cannot return (even if he and the team wants), just like the other reserve lists. The player's contract is tolled, with everything being pushed back a year. That is the hammer the team has on the player.

However, teams are hesitant to do this because it means the player is gone for the year. If the team does not send out the 5-day letter right away, or if they do not put him on "Reserve-Did Not Report" list right away after 5 days, then they lose the option of using that hammer (that is how Terry Glenn was able to come back to the Patriots in 2001 after a few games, because the team did not place him on the reserve list right away after 5 days)

In that case, the team's only recourse is to keep fining the player until he reports. The player needs to get at least 4 games in to be credited with a full season. Thus, the player can hold out all year and come back for the last month, and still get credit for the year played.

Several players who were holdouts have tried this tactic in the past to force a trade. They threaten to hold out all season and only return to get the minimum time required to get credit for the year (4 games). The most recent example of this is Adewale Ogunleye, who forced Miami to deal him with this threat.

So the question behind a Henry holdout is, does the team send him the 5-day letter and follow through if he doesn't report after 5 days? If so, he is out for the year and is under contract to Buffalo again in 2006. If not, he can holdout until the final month and still reach free agency.

Mr. Cynical
03-21-2005, 08:18 PM
It depends on what the team does.

If the team sends the player a "5-day letter", when he fails to report, the player has 5 days to get into camp. If the player fails to report in the allotted time, he is placed on the "Reserve-Did Not Report" list and is out for the season. He cannot return (even if he and the team wants), just like the other reserve lists. The player's contract is tolled, with everything being pushed back a year. That is the hammer the team has on the player.

However, teams are hesitant to do this because it means the player is gone for the year. If the team does not send out the 5-day letter right away, or if they do not put him on "Reserve-Did Not Report" list right away after 5 days, then they lose the option of using that hammer (that is how Terry Glenn was able to come back to the Patriots in 2001 after a few games, because the team did not place him on the reserve list right away after 5 days)

In that case, the team's only recourse is to keep fining the player until he reports. The player needs to get at least 4 games in to be credited with a full season. Thus, the player can hold out all year and come back for the last month, and still get credit for the year played.

Several players who were holdouts have tried this tactic in the past to force a trade. They threaten to hold out all season and only return to get the minimum time required to get credit for the year (4 games). The most recent example of this is Adewale Ogunleye, who forced Miami to deal him with this threat.

So the question behind a Henry holdout is, does the team send him the 5-day letter and follow through if he doesn't report after 5 days? If so, he is out for the year and is under contract to Buffalo again in 2006. If not, he can holdout until the final month and still reach free agency.
How does putting TH on that Reserve - did not report list impact the current '05 cap (if at all)? You said the money gets pushed back a year, so it seems off it it hits in the current year.

G. Host
03-21-2005, 08:29 PM

Have they changed the rule? When Joey Galloway held out he held out to last possible day for a 101 day holdout (half year).

http://www.cincypost.com/sports/2000/beng061400.html
Seahawks wide receiver Joey Galloway, a Ohio native, vowed to sit out the first 10 games of the season after a bitter dispute with management. He was true to his word, playing in only the final six games, the minimum needed to become an unrestricted free agent and get himself out of the Pacific Northwest. Galloway got what he wanted in the winter without testing the market - Seattle traded him to the Dallas Cowboys.

It is terrible rule and if a player holds out after signing a contract the team ought to hold the rights for another year or be compensated by NFL in pick(s).

TigerJ
03-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Obviously, there are two sides to the story, only the Bills as a matter of team policy have chosen not to tell their side. I've heard the speculation that there was a hangup in what Henry wanted in terms of a contract and what Arizona wanted him to accept, but we're never going to hear the Bills side of it unless there happens to be an informant in the Bills organization who choses to post it on a Bills fan forum somewhere. Thus, I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Ickybaluky
03-21-2005, 10:02 PM
I think you are correct, it is 6 games. 4 Games is to accrue a year toward retirement benefits.

I'm not certain of the cap effect if he is placed on the list. I believe when the player is placed on the reserve-did not report list his pro-rated SB remains on the books, but salary and other non-bonus items do not count.

Dozerdog
03-21-2005, 10:22 PM
That would just prove what he's complaining about, not to mention ruin his career.
Travis Henry holds all the Cards in ruining his own career.

If he just shut up and played out the contract he signed- played hard when given the opportunity- he could solicit his services to any interested team in the NFL in 2006 and make his own deal.

What will hurt his value is actiung like a friggin' crybaby. Every team wants to pay top dollar for one of those.

Novacane
03-22-2005, 07:54 AM
Poor Travis. Maybe he can find some 15 yr old chick to comfort him :loser:

finsrclowns
03-22-2005, 09:50 AM
The Bills can fine TH up to $5000 a day if he fails to show up for the start of training camp. They can also suspend him without pay for the season if he fails to show up after sending him a "5 day letter" as NE mentioned earlier. If they do that he will still be the property of the Bills at the end of the season.

With the trade market for Henry apparently being weak right now Henry holds no leverage whatsoever, other than the threat of being a distraction. I think Henry is playing poker with the wrong guy. TD will trade him if he gets what he wants or what he considers fair and that's that. I doubt we know the whole story on the Shelton situation. TD will not coddle Henry and he won't be intimidated by his threats to not show up.

Henry is comitting professional suicide by his stupidity. People that like to praise Henry as a "warrior" should go re-watch the first five games from last year. What I saw was a disgruntled guy, unhappy with the looming threat of WM, who was either distracted on the field or not playing as hard as he could. Because the guy I saw for the first 5 games last year slipping and sliding around the field was not the battering ram I'd seen the 2 years before. Period. And in part because of that we lost several winnable games. That cost him his job here and now he's reducing, not improving his chances of getting traded. His agent better sober up and give him some better advice.

Michael82
03-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Poor Travis. Maybe he can find some 15 yr old chick to comfort him :loser:
:rofl:

jamze132
03-22-2005, 05:22 PM
This whole thing is ******ed. Henry is ******ed. His agent is really ******ed! Hell, he thinks he's Scott Boras or something.

Is it worth it to keep Henry and give him the letter? If he got it, I bet Henry and his little choch would crap their pants. But Henry would show up to camp and be a major off field distraction for the rest of the team. So is it worth it? Hopefully it won't come down to that.