PDA

View Full Version : A win-win trade up for the draft?

mysticsoto
03-22-2005, 10:04 AM
I don't know all the details with Arizona vs the Bills and what TH has been saying lately. It may very well be that TD/McNally didn't like Shelton...So what if TD is waiting to package something more like:

Trade TH to Arizona and exchange both our 2nd round pick positions...

So instead of picking at no. 55 we would move up to no. 44. While this doesn't seem like such a huge jump, it will probably be enough to get us Baas, or maybe even Khalif Barnes (if we are lucky).

And of course, if TD wanted to do this, you don't announce it until the moment b'cse you have to wait and see who is available at the time you do the trade.

Arizona might go for it b'cse they only lose 11 positions and get a cheap, proven RB and could still take another RB to backup and/or develop behind TH if they like/want a speedier one. In fact, since I have been thinking of this, I have looked it up...and in many projections I have seen, I have no RBs being taken between Arizona's pick and ours...so if they were planning to take a RB in the 2nd and take a QB in the 1st, this would benefit them a great deal.

Would people here be for this trade or against? We don't necessarily get something directly for TH other than a chance at a higher calibre O-lineman.

Dicknoze69
03-22-2005, 10:09 AM
It's not bad, but I'd prefer to get more than 11 spots in the draft for TH. If they threw in a conditional pick in next year's draft I'd be more likely to accept.

Tatonka
03-22-2005, 10:21 AM
moving up 11 spots in the 2nd round is garbage.. i would rather have a good back up rb.

his threats of not playing are a bluff.. henry makes jason peters look like a rocket scientist.. he can not afford to get fined every day he doesnt show up.

Ickybaluky
03-22-2005, 10:24 AM
nm.

I misunderstood what you are saying.

It is basically Henry for a 3rd pick, equivalent value to the 89th or 90th pick.

mysticsoto
03-22-2005, 10:29 AM
nm.

I misunderstood what you are saying.

It is basically Henry for a 3rd pick, equivalent value to the 89th or 90th pick.
Well, I guess what I'm saying is that if TD and company didn't like Shelton for some reason (he did get in Green's doghouse for a reason and came in overweight - do we want another MW fiasco?) then maybe the best thing to do would be to trade TH for an opportunity to get a higher calibre O-lineman. I saw trading TH and exchanging our 2nd rd as a win/win for both. TH clearly isn't happy here and even if we make him sit and back up WM - is he really going to play with any heart? More than likely, he will be a disruption which we don't need!

If we can't get Baas, or Khalif Barnes - I think it might be worth it, but I was just speculating and seeing what others thought...

McBFLO
03-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Well, I guess what I'm saying is that if TD and company didn't like Shelton for some reason (he did get in Green's doghouse for a reason and came in overweight - do we want another MW fiasco?) then maybe the best thing to do would be to trade TH for an opportunity to get a higher calibre O-lineman. I saw trading TH and exchanging our 2nd rd as a win/win for both. TH clearly isn't happy here and even if we make him sit and back up WM - is he really going to play with any heart? More than likely, he will be a disruption which we don't need!

If we can't get Baas, or Khalif Barnes - I think it might be worth it, but I was just speculating and seeing what others thought...
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the point values given to each partivular draft slot, but what about this: we give Henry, our 2nd, and a late round pick to AZ for their 1st rounder ( I think 8th overall?) Then once we're there, we can trade down to maybe #20 or so to get another pick in the 2nd. Seems unlikely, but hey, just a thought. What do you guys think?

BuffaloRanger
03-22-2005, 11:35 AM
I thought you meant TH and 55 for LS and 44. But you didn't.

IF TD is waiting for the above trade, I hope it works. He's already let alot of fairly priced Oline FAs sign with other teams that could have helped. (Casey Rabach, Cosey Coleman, and Rick DeMulling) And if he sweetened the offer to Pork Chop he might have jumped ship, no matter how much his wife liked Seattle.

But I'm not worried, McNally can take our 3rd rd pick and make him a starter. (sarcasm)

mysticsoto
03-22-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the point values given to each partivular draft slot, but what about this: we give Henry, our 2nd, and a late round pick to AZ for their 1st rounder ( I think 8th overall?) Then once we're there, we can trade down to maybe #20 or so to get another pick in the 2nd. Seems unlikely, but hey, just a thought. What do you guys think?
Well the problem with this is I don't see too many people trading up this year and we could get stuck at pick#8. The quality is so-so in the draft and top picks require alot of $$$. I don't want to get caught with a top pick and then have to pay alot when our cap numbers are low b'cse we have to pay alot to MW for grabbing him at #4. The higher you grab, the more chi-ching out of our pocket. Ideally, I'd like to trade up to the beginning of the 2nd rd - but again, we need to be able to offer them enough and it would probably have to include TH - which means there are only so many teams interested in him. Miami doesn't even have a 2nd rounder, and there aren't many other teams interested in him...the Bucs, maybe???. Tampa Bay is at pick #36, but we might have to throw something else in (another low pick - 7th rder???) to grab that spot.

BuffaloRanger
03-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Fans of just about every team would love for their team to trade up, than trade down down with the net result being more and better picks than you started with. It rarely if ever happens.

jpdex12
03-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Well the problem with this is I don't see too many people trading up this year and we could get stuck at pick#8. The quality is so-so in the draft and top picks require alot of $$$. I don't want to get caught with a top pick and then have to pay alot when our cap numbers are low b'cse we have to pay alot to MW for grabbing him at #4. The higher you grab, the more chi-ching out of our pocket. Ideally, I'd like to trade up to the beginning of the 2nd rd - but again, we need to be able to offer them enough and it would probably have to include TH - which means there are only so many teams interested in him. Miami doesn't even have a 2nd rounder, and there aren't many other teams interested in him...the Bucs, maybe???. Tampa Bay is at pick #36, but we might have to throw something else in (another low pick - 7th rder???) to grab that spot.
But then with the #8 pick, we might get our hands on Mike Williams and pedal Moulds next year for a high pick...just a thought. Too far in the future and far fetched to care about though!

VABills
03-22-2005, 08:22 PM
The draft is actually very deep, just not a lot of studs. In fact none. But there are guys who are projected starters who will be there in the 3rd and 4th rounds. When guys like Reyes who last year would have been an easy 2nd are now project in the 3rd or 4th you know it's deep. Bass is projected to be a mid-lare round 2nd, where as most times a solid center who could start right away would be late 1st.

Again, no stars right away like last year, but a very solid draft through 4 rounds.

gobuffalo2007
03-22-2005, 09:39 PM
hmmm i miss having a first round pick.

venis2k1
03-22-2005, 09:42 PM
hmmm i miss having a first round pick.

i would rather have evans AND losman than a first rounder this year.

gobuffalo2007
03-22-2005, 09:46 PM
what about evans, Losman, and a first round pick thats what im talking about.

jpdex12
03-22-2005, 09:54 PM
The draft is actually very deep, just not a lot of studs. In fact none. But there are guys who are projected starters who will be there in the 3rd and 4th rounds. When guys like Reyes who last year would have been an easy 2nd are now project in the 3rd or 4th you know it's deep. Bass is projected to be a mid-lare round 2nd, where as most times a solid center who could start right away would be late 1st.

Again, no stars right away like last year, but a very solid draft through 4 rounds.
This is why TD shouldn't wait any longer to move TH. It is a big gamble to wait until draft time or just after to see who got who at RB. I say send TH now for a 2-3rd round pick or Shelton and we'll take our chances with what we get.
With TD's gambles, we will probably just have to wait it out. He gambled with McGahee, why wouldn't he gamble with TH?

mysticsoto
03-22-2005, 09:58 PM
This is why TD shouldn't wait any longer to move TH. It is a big gamble to wait until draft time or just after to see who got who at RB. I say send TH now for a 2-3rd round pick or Shelton and we'll take our chances with what we get.
With TD's gambles, we will probably just have to wait it out. He gambled with McGahee, why wouldn't he gamble with TH?
Like I've said before, we don't know all the details...what if Green wants a trade TH->Shelton AND a late round pick?

Personally, I feel that would be too much...we don't know if TH really knows all the details of the trade.

jpdex12
03-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Like I've said before, we don't know all the details...what if Green wants a trade TH->Shelton AND a late round pick?

Personally, I feel that would be too much...we don't know if TH really knows all the details of the trade.If Green wants a pick and TH for Shelton, I'd tell him to go **** in his hat! We would be bending over backwards for a straight player for player trade. Henry is more valuable than Shelton. He is younger and has had better numbers apples to oranges compared to Shelton. Injuries might be comparable for the two. Both are disgruntled at this point and both aren't helping their trade value. But who else wants TH now...no one. who else wants Shelton now...no one.