Tedy Bruschi considering taking next year off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Tedy Bruschi considering taking next year off...

For those that want to know:

The latest update on Bruschi has him considering sitting out next year instead of retiring. Basically, it sounds like he is putting the decision off a year.
  • SoCalBillsFan
    Expert on Experts
    • Jul 2002

Probably a smart move, health wise. Gives him a chance to assess the situation and plenty of time to think about it.

It's a sad story, he was/is still in the prime of his career. On the other hand, the timing couldn't have been better if it had to happen. WHat if it had happened a month earlier?

Comment

• Turf
      • Jul 2002

After three Super Bowl rings and given his condition and age, it makes no sense for him to comeback at all and risk his health.
      Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• EDS
        • Jan 2003

That is a tough situation, he definitely should look to preserve his long term health.

NE39 - who replaces Bruschi in the lineup? Seems to me, outside of coaching turnover, he is the Pats biggest loss.

Comment

• mybills
          81 st zoner
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39

The latest update on Bruschi has him considering sitting out next year instead of retiring. Basically, it sounds like he is putting the decision off a year.
          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

he's earned it...I hate the Pats but Bruschi is a warrior I'd love to have on the Bills...after the rings and the cash give him the time to heal up and see if he really wants to come back.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by EDS
              That is a tough situation, he definitely should look to preserve his long term health.

NE39 - who replaces Bruschi in the lineup? Seems to me, outside of coaching turnover, he is the Pats biggest loss.
              I agree, he is definitely their biggest loss. I think his loss is bigger than the coaching turnover as well.

As for replacements, there are a couple considerations:

1) Playing more 4-3 looks (they have the depth on the DL to do that)

2) Shifting an OLB inside. That is basically what they did with Bruschi and Phifer. The most likely candidates are Mike Vrabel and Matt Chatham.

3) Use Dan Klecko or Larry Izzo more. Klecko was playing some ILB for them on obvious run downs. Ultimately, that is where he projects long-term. This could accelerate the process, and in passing situations he would come out for a DB anyway. I doubt Izzo gets used a lot more, but he has played some LB in the past.

Keep in mind, the Pats play a ton of sub packages and odd formations. Thus, it would be a number of different players replacing Bruschi's various roles.

There is also the draft. I particularly see the Patriots looking for a LB with some coverage skills. That has been a weakness of theirs (a LB that can cover), as their LB tend to be bigger and slower. Phifer was the LB primarily responsible for coverage of the TE and RB in the short flats.

Comment

• buffmaniac
                • May 2003

You see the Pats often just replace players at will and not skip a beat. But I have a feeling that losing Bruschi will hurt. He was the heart and soul of that defense.

I wish him the best in his recovery

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Turf
                  After three Super Bowl rings and given his condition and age, it makes no sense for him to comeback at all and risk his health.
                  I agree, at the least a year off to guage his condition.

Comment

• RetroRaiders81
                    Raidaas Fans Watch Will and Grace
                    • Mar 2005

Oh no! I just saw a patriot's ad on this site! Sickening...On to Bruschi, I can see him signing with Oakland in the long wrong.
                    The Houston Retro Raiders.

Comment

• The Natrix
                      • Jul 2002

The latest on Bruschi has him considering sitting out next year instead of retiring.

Byrd.

Comment

• ExWNYer
                        • Mar 2003

Smart move...he's got young kids and a wife to think about. Football, especially after what he's accomplished, is not worth your life.
                        "I'm growing older but not up, my metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck" - Jimmy Buffett

Proud alumnus of the 2011 'Final Four' VCU Rams!

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by RetroRaiders81
                          Oh no! I just saw a patriot's ad on this site! Sickening...On to Bruschi, I can see him signing with Oakland in the long wrong.
                          He is under contract to the Patriots for 3 more years. If he retires, the Patriots retain his rights for that time.

Comment

• RetroRaiders81
                            Raidaas Fans Watch Will and Grace
                            • Mar 2005

Oh, I see. I heard a rumor earlier that the Pats offered there 1st round pick and someone for Urlacher. Does anybody know anything about this? Man I would hate that.
                            The Houston Retro Raiders.

Comment

• G. Host
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2002

He is under contract to the Patriots for 3 more years. If he retires, the Patriots retain his rights for that time.
                              I think after 6 months rehabbing he could come back without missing an entire year if he decided to play and in the meantime get Patriots to give him an assistant coaching spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X