PDA

View Full Version : Don't think anyone has posted this shocker yet

Bill Brasky
03-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Commissioner using Super Bowl as leverage

By Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com
Len Pasquarelli Archive

What do you get when you combine "The Godfather" with "Field of Dreams"?

Paul Tagliabue.

Paraphrasing only slightly, the NFL commissioner, like fictitious Iowa farmer Ray Kinsella, keeps hearing a whispered mantra, Build it and we will come, rattling around in his cranium. When it comes to squeezing out financing for a new stadium project in his league, Tagliabue suddenly morphs into Vito Corleone, ready and willing to make an offer some allegedly cash-strapped metropolis simply can't refuse.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2019590

Ebenezer
03-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Commissioner using Super Bowl as leverage

By Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com
Len Pasquarelli Archive

What do you get when you combine "The Godfather" with "Field of Dreams"?

Paul Tagliabue.

Paraphrasing only slightly, the NFL commissioner, like fictitious Iowa farmer Ray Kinsella, keeps hearing a whispered mantra, Build it and we will come, rattling around in his cranium. When it comes to squeezing out financing for a new stadium project in his league, Tagliabue suddenly morphs into Vito Corleone, ready and willing to make an offer some allegedly cash-strapped metropolis simply can't refuse.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2019590
the residents of NY State are going to pay and pay and pay and the residents of the NY City will benefit.

DMBcrew36
03-23-2005, 03:54 PM
the residents of NY State are going to pay and pay and pay and the residents of the NY City will benefit.
What's new?

Sportsuser101
03-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Ehh.. I'm from Jersey so it doesn't impact me. :phew:

Bill Brasky
03-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Ehh.. I'm from Jersey so it doesn't impact me. :phew:

:huh:

Sportsuser101
03-23-2005, 06:12 PM
:huh:
Why the ?

RetroRaiders81
03-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Godfather = Al Davis

NJFINSFAN1
03-24-2005, 08:28 AM
Here is why I say it never gets built. Just my thoughts!

You have the NYC Police and Fireman without contracts (how soon we forget 2001), and they are asking why the city can put 400 million plus to building a platform??

You have a shortage of schools, teachers and books, they are asking why a stadium?

You have locals that want no part of the stadium being built there.

You have a Mayor that tried to sneak this in (remember the Jets offer was $100 million) before someone asked why is there not open bidding?

Bloomberg wants this built for one reason and one reason only, he wants to become NY's version of Peter Uberoth.

You can build the stadium in Queens for a lot less, and there is an area that has a ton of vacant warehouses not for from Flushing that would make a ton of more sence!

That's a few of my reasons.

Michael82
03-24-2005, 08:55 AM
i just hope u are right.

finsrclowns
03-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Here is why I say it never gets built. Just my thoughts!

You have the NYC Police and Fireman without contracts (how soon we forget 2001), and they are asking why the city can put 400 million plus to building a platform??

You have a shortage of schools, teachers and books, they are asking why a stadium?

You have locals that want no part of the stadium being built there.

You have a Mayor that tried to sneak this in (remember the Jets offer was $100 million) before someone asked why is there not open bidding?

Bloomberg wants this built for one reason and one reason only, he wants to become NY's version of Peter Uberoth.

You can build the stadium in Queens for a lot less, and there is an area that has a ton of vacant warehouses not for from Flushing that would make a ton of more sence!

That's a few of my reasons.

You're talking sense. But pray tell when did sense and politics ever have anything in common? :crazy:

Pride
03-24-2005, 10:38 AM
The only silver lining to this we FINALLY get a cold weather outdoors SuperBowl!

GreenMachine
03-24-2005, 11:18 AM
You also have MSG not having to pay taxes for the pst 10 years...don't you think that could help pay for those Fireman????

BAM
03-24-2005, 11:19 AM
:shocker:

NJFINSFAN1
03-24-2005, 11:23 AM
You're talking sense. But pray tell when did sense and politics ever have anything in common? :crazy:
you got me there!http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/icons/icon7.gif

The Natrix
03-24-2005, 11:26 AM
They should build it in Queens, IMO.