PDA

View Full Version : If Jerry Gray was ...

Buffalofan
12-08-2002, 06:24 PM
a white guy he would have been fired 6 weeks ago. The biggest problem with this league is the pressure owners are under to hire african american coaches and assistants. The jobs need to go to the most qualified person regardless of color. Lets face it, Gray is doing an absolutley HORRIBLE job as defensive coordinator but as soon as he gets fired some one will scream discrimination. I say thats a load of crap. I could care less about color or origin or any of that as long as we get the best guy for the job .. hire a purple guy if you want, just get someone in there who can coach.

I think our entire staff sucks. We have the personnel to get the job done but we have Mo, Larry and Curly running the show. Thanks to them we are todays laughing stock of the NFL.

If this staff stays the same over the summer we are going to have an exact repeat next season. The time has come to clean house ... make the right call based on qualifications and get rid of the clowns who are just collecting a check.

See ya Jerry Gray !!!!!

RedEyE
12-08-2002, 06:32 PM
While I agree that Gray needs to hit the high road, I don't think that race has anything to do with the fact that he is still in Buffalo. First, Gray is Williams buddy. Second Gray will ride the year out before receiving the 'ol pink slip. Just like most any other D Cor. in the league before getting the axe. You may even see him coaching there again next season.

DIHARD2
12-08-2002, 06:40 PM
You're right on the coaching staff, I know I saw a G. W. who pushed Bledsoe's arm when he threw that interception in the end zone. I'm almost sure I saw G. W. underneath Price pushing that ball out on that fumble. And I know for sure G. W. tipped the ball in front of Bledsoe when he threw the first interception.

The fact is we didn't have the team to beat New England today on the field. It has nothing to do with the coaching, it has all to do with the players not executing their job.

But trying to blame somebody other than who actually lost the game. It was the players they were the ones on the field making the mistakes.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Don Cherry
12-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Going by that assertion, Buffalofan, our white head coach would have been axed 6 weeks ago.

Why not? Got an answer for that one?

Novacane
12-08-2002, 06:45 PM
I think Redeye is right. This has nothing to do with race. Gray is just GW's buddy. I have seen him say more than once that Jerry Gray is going to be an NFL head coach someday. Show's how stupid GW is.

Rebecky
12-08-2002, 06:47 PM
OK -- in order to get a decent DC, TD has to give him the same deal as Gilbride, namely, full control of the D, a guarantee that GW will keep his hands off the D. So that leaves RW paying a HC, GW, to keep his hands OFF the entire team??

(If you think any decent DC would REALLY take orders from GW, look at the caliber of assistant coaches coming in. The new assistant coach GW hired this fall was at Tenn Titans for one year, selected by the Nashville Tennessean newspaper as "worst assistant coach", fired after one year -- then went to U of Cincinnati for a year where his contract was "not renewed". That's the best GW can get. Good coaches have to protect their reputations.)

DraftBoy
12-08-2002, 08:13 PM
I think we may be seeing a Marvin Lewis sighting next season

WG
12-08-2002, 08:21 PM
We can only hope. Word has it, from some on these boards however, that Lewis wouldn't take the Buffalo job.

If y'all want to blame someone, how about blaming Gilbride! Then blame Bledsoe! This is supposed to be a "powerhouse" offense which can light things up. Well, after today, we'll be lucky to be in the top 10 scoring offenses. With "all the tools" we suck on O! Not D, but O.

Gilbride is the problem. I'm not a huge Gray fan, but look what he has to work w/ on the DL!!! It's a group of second-stringers other than PW. I fully predicted this before the season began. It wasn't difficult to see that w/o a decent DL we would suck. I was told to "relax" since we got Drew. Well, he's here and the O sucks too!

Now we seem to have nothing. Drew's been fading faster than Rip Van Winkle on sedatives. I gotta tell ya, if he doesn't play the lights out in the next three games, a lot of people are gonna be questioning the trade.

And Gilbride, what on earth is he thinking. Or maybe it was Drew audiblizing away all the running plays. But Henry had 8 carries in the first half.

This game was over after the first INT and the icing started going on the cake after the second.

7-9 if we're lucky. If Gilbride is around next year, then don't make any plans for buying SB tix. The man simply doesn't know what to do w/ a solid rushing game. Instead, we let the struggling QB toss a few more INTS.

And for that Gilbride gets paid the big bucks!

Tsk, tsk, tsk!!!

Buffalofan
12-08-2002, 09:06 PM
Sorry folks .. obviously what I was trying to say did end up coming across the wrong way. I am in no way trying to create any race issues here and apologize for doing so. There is no place for it on these boards or anywhere else in the world in my opinion.

To fire a head coach in the middle of the season is not all that common but a coordinator can be let go at any time with less disruption to the team. The fact that Jerry is GW's buddy is a major problem .. didnt Buddy Ryan try something similar in Arizona ?

And DieHard .. I wasnt talking about only todays game. Today the whole team played like crap, especially Drew but there have been many other games this season that were lost as a result of coaching, especially opening day.

Bottom line is that the entire coaching staff needs to be fired. There has been improvement over last year but its hard NOT to improve over 3 wins.

This team has the talent to win the Super Bowl very soon but if the staff stays it will never happen. My Mother could do a better job coaching .. and yes, she is available !!

WG
12-08-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Buffalofan
This team has the talent to win the Super Bowl very soon but if the staff stays it will never happen. My Mother could do a better job coaching .. and yes, she is available !!

Agreed! I realize that changing out the entire staff would create some continuity issues heading into next season, but I'm starting to agree that it would be worth the tradeoff since these guys do blow so bad.

In any case, Gray, Gilbride, Smith, at least need to go.

DIHARD2
12-08-2002, 09:45 PM
I'm sorry but I do not except your argument about the coaching staff.

We knew at the beginning of this season we did not have a defense and I don't care who are defensive coordinator would have been this year, he too would look just as bad. If you don't have the players and those players you do have don't tackle you cannot blame it on the coach. We knew that we decided to build the offense, this year, and defense next year.

The fact that the majority of our offensive line are first and second-year players has a lot to with the mistakes that are made this year.

Today, Bledsoe played his worst game this season, and I think it's more of him wanting to make play's when he didn't have to. He, had a team but I don't think he trusted them. So today's game cannot be blamed on the offensive coordinator and his game plan. If you look at the stats from today's game the teams were very even except for one place, and that was turnovers and the turnovers made the difference in the game.

We are going to have the same coaching staff except maybe special teams next year, if we win one more game. But, if we don't we might have a major coaching change. So I would advise everyone to except it, for that I believe the story will go. I also believe we will be in the playoffs next year.

If we were to get rid of the whole Coaching staff, I would not expect to see a playoff for two or more years. We are about four players away from the playoffs and that is on defense.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Rebecky
12-08-2002, 09:51 PM
From the RW comments I've read, I predict Buffalo will indeed keep the same coaching staff, and so next year will tell how ept or inept they are. My feeling is that it's going to be a heartbreaking year.

Bert102176
12-08-2002, 11:17 PM
Marvin Lewis was never offered a contract to coach here, but hell I would take Dennis Green even.

Cntrygal
12-09-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Bert102176
Marvin Lewis was never offered a contract to coach here, but hell I would take Dennis Green even.

I believe it's because he refused to even consider coming for an interview.

Dozerdog
12-09-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
I think we may be seeing a Marvin Lewis sighting next season highly unlikely

I hear he will be the next Michigan State Coach

Akhippo
12-09-2002, 03:00 PM
I still think the D coordinator has to go. Even with the personell he has, hes not doing anything. For instance, on a 3rd and long yesterday, he has this attacking style, they send 3 drop 8, We cant get to the QB with 4, should of just kept the lineman on the sidelines and told Brady to take his time. What happens, pass for first down. Why not throw the kitchen sink at him. Send from every postition. Show something, If your going to continue the run the D you were brought into run, Run it, if you say you dont have the players, run it anyway, find out who can, whoever cant replace them. Pick a path and follow it.