Why the obsession with LJ Shelton anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Why the obsession with LJ Shelton anyway?

I know we need improvement on OLine. But why is everyone making it sound like if we traded for Shelton, our line would be suddenly set? Why is he such a savior for us?

Last I've read he is somewhat injury prone, just coming off of IR last season. Though a former 1st round pick, he was only the 4th tackle drafted, behind John Tait, Matt Stinchcomb, and Luke Petitgout. And from what I understand he's also got a bit of an attitude problem or something, which is why he's in Dennis Green's doghouse.

So what makes us think we should be so high on him? He's no Orlando Pace from crying out loud.
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

1. He's got the talent to be a good if not great tackle
    2. He's cheap only 3 million a year for 4 more years
    3. He can play G also
    4. Denny Green is a woman and doesnt like to deal with players
    5. McNally is our line coach and he seems to get the most out of players

those would be my top 5
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Beautiful words to hear, but I assume you have some sort of evidence right? For one (RJ) reason or another (Flowers), I don't buy the "potential" thing anymore.

$3 million a year is by no means considered cheap.

3. He can play G also
      I'll give you that, but so can a few others out there.

Subjective opinion - disregard.

So we can just plug in anobody, right?

Comment

• Bulldog
        Top Dog
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
        Beautiful words to hear, but I assume you have some sort of evidence right? For one (RJ) reason or another (Flowers), I don't buy the "potential" thing anymore.

$3 million a year is by no means considered cheap.

3. He can play G also
        I'll give you that, but so can a few others out there.

Subjective opinion - disregard.

So we can just plug in anobody, right?
        $3 million a year for a starting left tackle is definately cheap. I honestly haven't seen Shelton play enough to determine if he is the answer at the LT spot. Considering the options that currently exist in both FA and the Bills current roster, I think you have to take a shot at him and hope McNally can at least make him decent. Has Marcus Price signed with anyone yet? Based on his performance last year in limited duty and the current lack of talent at the LT position, I have yet to figure out why Buffalo wouldn't bring him back.
        I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

It basically goes like this: We need OL help, and most of the decent FA's have been taken. Travis Henry is useless to us because he said he won't come to Buffalo this year. Shelton for Henry solves two huge problems for the Bills (although even with Shelton I'd like to see OL selected in the draft for depth).
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

he is the best option out there.. he has history as a decent starter, and if you look at his stat numbers.. he is not a downgrade from jennings.

he has great size and strength.. to a certian extent you have more options when mcnally is your oline coach.. but as someone on this board stated before.. i dont want a line of overacheivers that can barely hang on against underachieving studs.
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• buffmaniac
              • May 2003

I think he is a bit of a gamble, but I'm willing to take a chance. I think McNally can get the best out of him.

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
                Expert on Experts
                • Jul 2002

One, we need to get SOMETHING for henry. And if we can get a player who fills a position of need, that's outstanding.

Two, Shelton is better than our current option at a relatively inexpensive price. I'd much rather have SHelton at LT than gandy, Teague, or anyone else currently on the roster.

I see your point, it's not like he's going to be an all-pro, but he's an upgrade to a mediocre-at-best line, which is what we have right now. He's cheap, fills a need, and we get something in return for henry.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

and seriously.. 3 mill a year is very cheap for a LT..

show me a LT in the league that is not playing on his rookie contract that makes less than 3 mill a year.. i bet there are no more than a handful and they suck.
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                    • Mar 2003

Yeah.
                    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                    -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                      • May 2004

Let's be honest with ourselves. Very few (if any) of us have seen Shelton play. We are mostly basing our opinions on input from various football publications, people like Peter King, etc etc.

Should we believe everything bad we hear about LJ coming from the Cards camp? No. Nor should we believe that he is the second coming of House Ballard.

In reality, Shelton is a better LT option than anyone we have on our current roster or anyone else affordable out there. Since it is a trade that would be cap neutral, the financial implications are a huge positive for us.

So, when you boil it all down, the facts are as follows:

1) We need a left tackle before training camp starts.
                      2) Our main backup at RB is not content with his current role on the team and is asking to be traded. If not traded he will likely miss training camp/preseason and not be overly effective for the regular season.
                      3) Although we can create some cap flexibility, we have precious little cap room to sign any other viable LT options if they happen to be cut June 1st or soon thereafter.
                      3)Shelton is a starting caliber LT in the NFL.
                      4) Shelton's salary of $3mil/year is not a difficult contract to absorb, and if he pans out, $3 million for 4 years is a cheap date for a starting left tackle.
                      5) There is no certainty that Shelton is going to be productive for the Bills
                      6) We currently employ one of the NFL's best offensive line coaches, who has been very key in both salvaging the careers of many offensive linemen and getting the most out of every player that he coaches.

Am I missing anything?

Based on the objective facts, I think this deal is a chance we have to take as a franchise. I think the odds are better that it works out well for us than it burning us.
                      "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
                      --Leo Durocher

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                        • May 2003

The only potential he has shown is that he is an overweight, underacheiving tackle. If Jim McNally had faith in him he would be a Bill already.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                          Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                          Let's be honest with ourselves. Very few (if any) of us have seen Shelton play. We are mostly basing our opinions on input from various football publications, people like Peter King, etc etc.

Should we believe everything bad we hear about LJ coming from the Cards camp? No. Nor should we believe that he is the second coming of House Ballard.

In reality, Shelton is a better LT option than anyone we have on our current roster or anyone else affordable out there. Since it is a trade that would be cap neutral, the financial implications are a huge positive for us.

So, when you boil it all down, the facts are as follows:

1) We need a left tackle before training camp starts.
                          2) Our main backup at RB is not content with his current role on the team and is asking to be traded. If not traded he will likely miss training camp/preseason and not be overly effective for the regular season.
                          3) Although we can create some cap flexibility, we have precious little cap room to sign any other viable LT options if they happen to be cut June 1st or soon thereafter.
                          3)Shelton is a starting caliber LT in the NFL.
                          4) Shelton's salary of $3mil/year is not a difficult contract to absorb, and if he pans out, $3 million for 4 years is a cheap date for a starting left tackle.
                          5) There is no certainty that Shelton is going to be productive for the Bills
                          6) We currently employ one of the NFL's best offensive line coaches, who has been very key in both salvaging the careers of many offensive linemen and getting the most out of every player that he coaches.

Am I missing anything?

Based on the objective facts, I think this deal is a chance we have to take as a franchise. I think the odds are better that it works out well for us than it burning us.
                          Yep.
                          "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                          -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
                            WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
                            • Mar 2003

If McNally was calling the shots our Oline wouldn't be full of 7th round picks and unsigned FAs. We would have a left side. McNally is a company man. He's on record as saying he'll look to play Peters and Denney on Oline. Why? Because he's not going to rock the boat.

He has said he "can't perform miracles." Read between the lines. He's saying he can't make chicken salad out of chicken **** every year.

And why LJ Shelton? Because he's the only possibility at LT besides TT and a 2nd rd pick that we can get. Trade a RB that's not going to play for the Bills for a need position then draft a Center in the 2nd.

I'd really like to see TD get LJ and the Cards 2nd for TH and the Bills 2nd. But then TD would end up picking a backup LB or something and piss me off.
                            1. Oline
                            2. CB
                            3. DT
                            Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
                              He has said he "can't perform miracles." Read between the lines. He's saying he can't make chicken salad out of chicken **** every year.
                              We should fire him then and beg for Maulk to come back.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X