PDA

View Full Version : If you could change one rule in the NFL...

Crisis
03-24-2005, 01:02 PM
I'd take the skirt off the quarterbacks. Let other players be more physical with them without being penalized. It's almost pathetic how much you can do to a QB. Even if you tackle them like you would a running back in some cases you can get fined or penalized.

Mr. Miyagi
03-24-2005, 01:08 PM
No way. QBs can't brace themselves for tackling, when they have to look downfield the whole time. You can't leave the most important position vulnerable like that.

Gunzlingr
03-24-2005, 01:12 PM
I'd change the set of rules that the Pats use to what the rest of the league has to abide by.

justasportsfan
03-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Pats shouldn't be able to buy the refs.

ryven
03-24-2005, 01:15 PM
I dont know if i Would change or get rid of any rules but I would tell the refs to let the players play ball its not a defensive players fault when they hit a qb and the force of the hit whip the QB'S helmet into the defensive players helmet(london and spikes got called on this a bunch last year.).

FlyingElvis
03-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Pats shouldn't be able to buy the refs.Colts tried that last year with the Patriot Act.

How'd that work for them?

justasportsfan
03-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Colts tried that last year with the Patriot Act.

How'd that work for them?they got outbid by Kraft. :D.

OpIv37
03-24-2005, 01:27 PM
I would allow instant replay challenges to apply to some penalties, like personal fouls...
I keep thinking back to last year when Fletcher hit Brady legally and his head went forward into Fletcher's helmet, then we got flagged 15 yards for a helmet to helmet hit.

Possibly, also allow IR changes to be used when a flag wasn't thrown, but I don't think there's a realistic way to implement that.

FlyingElvis
03-24-2005, 01:30 PM
they got outbid by Kraft. :D.How stupid do you think Polian and Dungy feel? They get the rule enforced to their liking and they put 3 points on the board. Gotta love it.

BTW, here's mine. Abolish the tuck rule. :crazy:

gobuffalo2007
03-24-2005, 01:33 PM
I would want the corners to be able to do anything to the WR besides holding like the CB should be able to knock th WR over past 5 yards.

justasportsfan
03-24-2005, 01:33 PM
How stupid do you think Polian and Dungy feel? They get the rule enforced to their liking and they put 3 points on the board. Gotta love it.

BTW, here's mine. Abolish the tuck rule. :crazy: :snicker:

Mr. Miyagi
03-24-2005, 01:34 PM
I'd get rid of all calls that are "non-reviewable". Everything should be reviewable. It's BS.

Captain gameboy
03-24-2005, 01:40 PM
I wold change the pass interference rule.
It's way to restrictive on DB's.

One procedural thng I would do to speed things up regards appeals.

The HC throws the flag, then he tells the ref what he wants.
Then the ref slowly walks out on the field, turns on his mike, states the obvious, then heads over to the replay camera, views the play, decides, walks back out and announces the decision.

Send two officials over to the listen to the HC, have another guy announce it while the ref is looking at the play.

It takes a foolishly long time to get these things done the way they do them now.

Gunzlingr
03-24-2005, 02:01 PM
I wold change the pass interference rule.
It's way to restrictive on DB's.

One procedural thng I would do to speed things up regards appeals.

The HC throws the flag, then he tells the ref what he wants.
Then the ref slowly walks out on the field, turns on his mike, states the obvious, then heads over to the replay camera, views the play, decides, walks back out and announces the decision.

Send two officials over to the listen to the HC, have another guy announce it while the ref is looking at the play.

It takes a foolishly long time to get these things done the way they do them now.

It allows for more TV commercials tho :D

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-24-2005, 02:25 PM
NO ****ING TV TIME OUTS FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!!

Make intentional safeties illegal.

Make kneeldowns illegal.

Basically, make teams play the game for 60 minutes, instead of getting to puss out at the end of the half or the end of the game.
I just about blow a gasket every time I see that crap.

BuffaloRanger
03-24-2005, 02:26 PM
That Ed Hoculey can still be a ref. He of the

"just give it to them"
"Review and overturn a call after the another play has been run" and the

"Jet's have to make the playoffs for the good of the NFL" last game against the steelers

and he reffed the SB. He sucks.

jamze132
03-24-2005, 02:31 PM
The way the game is going with all of the safety concious crap going on, it's going to be changed to flag football. No more pads and helmets = No more hits!

The Natrix
03-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Nothing really....

except maybe the tuck rule. Although it probably wouldn't matter, since it would never apply to a Buffalo QB.

Tatonka
03-24-2005, 02:52 PM
i would like to see the wr's get a running start at the LOS..

like in arena football.

Tatonka
03-24-2005, 02:54 PM
i think that you should be able to kick players in the balls and not get called for it... i would love to see TKO kick brady in the balls.. a couple times a game.

The_Philster
03-24-2005, 03:44 PM
That Ed Hoculey can still be a ref. He of the

"just give it to them"
"Review and overturn a call after the another play has been run" and the

"Jet's have to make the playoffs for the good of the NFL" last game against the steelers

and he reffed the SB. He sucks.Hochuli wasn't the one of the "just give it to them" game..that was Walt Coleman :shakeno:

Ed
03-24-2005, 09:36 PM
I would want the corners to be able to do anything to the WR besides holding like the CB should be able to knock th WR over past 5 yards.

I think they tried that with the XFL, but ended up having to change the rule like half way through the season because it was killing the passing game, which made the games more boring then they already were.

I'm not sure if they originally allowed contact after 5 yards to try and improve upon the NFL game or just try to project more of a tough guy image compared to the NFL, but it definitely failed. Not that the XFL had any chance of succeeding anyway, but I don't think a similar rule in the NFL would make the game better.

alohabillsfan
03-25-2005, 07:18 AM
I think it should be illegal to trade quarterbacks within the division and grandfather it for a few years so we could give the PATS DB back and we get our pick back!

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-25-2005, 09:26 AM
One rule I would like to change is the both feet in to make a catch, it should be like the college game, one foot in.

stevestojan
03-25-2005, 10:29 AM
No fair catches on punts. You wanna play football? Be a man. Either catch the ball and risk getting popped, or move outta the way.

Fair catch would still be ok on kickoffs, only due to it being a live ball, and a returned might actually get himself killed trying to make a catch :)

R. Rich
03-25-2005, 10:35 AM
No fair catches on punts. You wanna play football? Be a man. Either catch the ball and risk getting popped, or move outta the way.

Fair catch would still be ok on kickoffs, only due to it being a live ball, and a returned might actually get himself killed trying to make a catch :)

You've obviously spent a lot of time fielding punts.

stevestojan
03-25-2005, 10:43 AM
You've obviously spent a lot of time fielding punts.

You are correct to assume that I haven't, however I have spent alot of time watching videos of awesome hits, and I know I enjoy seeing them.. :)

GreenMachine
03-25-2005, 10:47 AM
That all cheerleaders must look like this.................

http://img118.exs.cx/img118/6208/jetgirl7sa.jpg

Crisis
03-25-2005, 10:52 AM

According to Phil, she's nothing compared to the Jills.

R. Rich
03-25-2005, 11:07 AM
You are correct to assume that I haven't, however I have spent alot of time watching videos of awesome hits, and I know I enjoy seeing them.. :)

True, but nobody wants to either catch a punt at the 30 and get blasted by some guy who is right there as you catch it, possibly taking yourself out of the lineup for an extensive period of time, or watch that punt roll 28 yards down to the 2, where your drive would begin.

stevestojan
03-25-2005, 11:09 AM
True, but nobody wants to either catch a punt at the 30 and get blasted by some guy who is right there as you catch it, possibly taking yourself out of the lineup for an extensive period of time, or watch that punt roll 28 yards down to the 2, where your drive would begin.

That's the choice they would have to make. And that's why I like it...

It would never happen, safety issues and all (especially since the league is getting softer every year), but a man can dream, no?

R. Rich
03-25-2005, 11:14 AM
According to Phil, she's nothing compared to the Jills.

He's right.

LtBillsFan66
03-25-2005, 11:18 AM
It wouldn't be one rule... I would simplify the rules. So the refs can make calls with confidence. Now, there are too many ifs, ands, and buts. Like that "football motion" after making a catch. Seems the NFL tries to make things perfect, but in doing so, make the rules more complex.

R. Rich
03-25-2005, 11:23 AM
It wouldn't be one rule... I would simplify the rules. So the refs can make calls with confidence. Now, there are too many ifs, ands, and buts. Like that "football motion" after making a catch. Seems the NFL tries to make things perfect, but in doing so, make the rules more complex.

Can't you be serious for once?

AndreReed83
03-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Eliminate the Two Line Pass........oh wait, wrong sport.

The_Philster
03-25-2005, 12:22 PM

Brooke Burke is :hungry: But wearing Jets gear? :wtf: They don't even have cheerleaders :limp:

Eliminate the Two Line Pass........oh wait, wrong sport. :lmao:

Crisis
03-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Jets logo was pasted on. Weak.

The_Philster
03-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Jets logo was pasted on. Weak.

no doubt...that pic is on my desktop :laughter:

kevinj22
03-25-2005, 09:49 PM
I would love to change the rule where you can't challenge a play because it was blown dead. I think that it is stupid.

Turf
03-25-2005, 11:01 PM
i think that you should be able to kick players in the balls and not get called for it... i would love to see TKO kick brady in the balls.. a couple times a game.

:clap: Now THAT still has me laughing, especially with TKo's leg dance after a big play....

My rule change would be incidental pass interference downfield should be a 10 yrd penalty unless intentional or flagrant, then at the spot of the foul. These 30-50 yard penalties have to go.