PDA

View Full Version : Bledsoe sounds off

Stewie
03-24-2005, 01:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2020416

Select quotes

"The hold-the-ball-too-long one, there are times when that is true," Bledsoe acknowledged. "It's a battle you're always fighting because as a competitor, you're always thinking, 'OK, I can make this next play. This can be the difference in the game.' That's something I've always battled against, going back to college.

"As far as making bad decisions, that's not true. Do I make some bad decisions? Yeah. You play this position, sometimes you're going to throw it to the wrong place. But as far as percentages, compared to anybody else that's playing, I don't make bad decisions. I'm a smart player who makes good decisions. That one's a little crazy."

"As far as taking sacks … part of that also is there were times when people said I was holding on to the ball and there wasn't much time, period. And as far as the turnovers, I had a year two years ago where I was getting hit a lot and fumbled the ball a lot. But that's never really been a big problem of mine.

"The lack of mobility, that one, I've just kind of let that one go forever. I'm not fast. But there are a lot of guys that are a hell of a lot slower than I am. Somebody wants to do a pay-per-view race between me and [Tom] Brady, sign me up."

As much of a beating as he's taken on the field, Bledsoe's been hit with even more in the press for his play over the last 2½ seasons, particularly in big games. He points to the loss of several supporting cast members on offense following a 2002 season in which he passed for 4,359 yards as contributing to his decline in production, though it should be mentioned that fullback Larry Centers (retired), tight end Jay Riemersma (Pittsburgh), and receiver Peerless Price (Atlanta) saw their numbers go down after leaving the Bills.

McClane
03-24-2005, 01:49 PM
You know, I bet Drew has a great year for Dallas...

He's got that "something to prove" mentality that he had when NE gave up on him and he came to us...

OpIv37
03-24-2005, 01:52 PM
though it should be mentioned that fullback Larry Centers (retired), tight end Jay Riemersma (Pittsburgh), and receiver Peerless Price (Atlanta) saw their numbers go down after leaving the Bills.

I never thought about it that way before. I wonder what the difference was- my guess it had to do with the fact that their big numbers came before everyone caught on to Gilbride's pass-happy system.

FlyingElvis
03-24-2005, 02:00 PM
I'm a smart player who makes good decisions. LOL, good one Drew.

The lack of mobility, that one, I've just kind of let that one go forever. I'm not fast. But there are a lot of guys that are a hell of a lot slower than I am. Somebody wants to do a pay-per-view race between me and [Tom] Brady, sign me up. He's got a good point here, except that he fails to mention that in addition to lack of mobility that he shares with the likes of Brady and Marino, he does not have the pocket presence that those other two have/had.

I bet he's glad he doesn't have to play in the AFCE anymore.

Mudflap1
03-24-2005, 02:06 PM
We'll see. He's got a good line, good young running back, and a couple of receivers down there to work with (including a good TE). Let the chips fall where they may. Correspondingly, we'll see just how good J.P. Losman is with the same guys Bledsoe had...

Jon

justasportsfan
03-24-2005, 02:08 PM
You know, I bet Drew has a great year for Dallas... I agree, but it's because he's in a weaker division than the AFCE.

He's got that "something to prove" mentality that he had when NE gave up on him and he came to us... he had something more to prove after NE let him go. Although he did well for half the season, it didn't take long for DC to gameplan against him.

Iehoshua
03-24-2005, 02:12 PM
Gimme a friggin' break. Drew had something to prove when he came here and he only proved New England right. Now he's going to prove us right in Dallas. He couldn't carry Tom Brady's jock. Gotta hand it to him, though. He just won't quit marketing himself. Very smart of him. Too bad it's all a bunch of hot air, but he's definitely going to make his money as long as humanly possible playing football...

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-24-2005, 02:13 PM
When I see or hear Drew making these kinds of comments, I feel bad for the guy...
it reeks of desperation. A man trying to convince his peers, his fans, and his bosses that he is not washed up.

Weak.

AndreReed83
03-24-2005, 02:14 PM
I bet he has a year similar to his first one in Buffalo. Basically, lots of numbers, little to show for it.

OpIv37
03-24-2005, 02:17 PM
it reeks of desperation. A man trying to convince his peers, his fans, and his bosses that he is not washed up.

Not to mention himself.

The Natrix
03-24-2005, 02:20 PM
All of those statements are fair, except the Centers, JR, and Peerless excuse. He struggled the 2nd half of his first season in Buffalo with those guys. Not to mention he had Evans and Willis this year and still couldn't get the job done. Getting a #1 for Peerless and using the money to sign Spikes instead was a no brainer move.

I don't see Bledsoe having a very good year at all. At best, he will be a slight upgrade over Vinny. I could see the Giants and Eagles both sweeping the cowgirls pretty easily.

Gunzlingr
03-24-2005, 02:33 PM
You know, I bet Drew has a great year for Dallas...

He's got that "something to prove" mentality that he had when NE gave up on him and he came to us...

probably a first 1/2 of year before everyone catches on and beats the piss out of him.

Philagape
03-24-2005, 02:35 PM
His play speaks a lot louder than his mouth.

jamze132
03-24-2005, 02:38 PM
Drew will suck this year. I just can't wait to talk smack to every one of my buddies who are Cowboy fans. Those guys would get on me hard for Drew: "Throw the ball Drew!", "Throw it.... look out... ouch, I bet that hurt!" "Damn, he got up...again!"

Oh yeah, what comes around, goes around. By the way, my buddies aren't too pleased with the Cowboy's new addition. They have no faith in their team. I keep trying to reassure them that they are a legitimate playoff contender now, but the don't want to hear it. :dance:

The King
03-24-2005, 03:18 PM
I wish him the very best. I love to see him talking with that kind of passion I really hope he finishes his career well. I would love to see him in the hall.

Bill Brasky
03-24-2005, 03:36 PM
"The hold-the-ball-too-long one, there are times when that is true," Bledsoe acknowledged. "It's a battle you're always fighting because as a competitor, you're always thinking, 'OK, I can make this next play. This can be the difference in the game.' That's something I've always battled against, going back to college.

"As far as making bad decisions, that's not true. Do I make some bad decisions? Yeah. You play this position, sometimes you're going to throw it to the wrong place. But as far as percentages, compared to anybody else that's playing, I don't make bad decisions. I'm a smart player who makes good decisions. That one's a little crazy."

"As far as taking sacks … part of that also is there were times when people said I was holding on to the ball and there wasn't much time, period. And as far as the turnovers, I had a year two years ago where I was getting hit a lot and fumbled the ball a lot. But that's never really been a big problem of mine.

"The lack of mobility, that one, I've just kind of let that one go forever. I'm not fast. But there are a lot of guys that are a hell of a lot slower than I am. Somebody wants to do a pay-per-view race between me and [Tom] Brady, sign me up."

As much of a beating as he's taken on the field, Bledsoe's been hit with even more in the press for his play over the last 2½ seasons, particularly in big games. He points to the loss of several supporting cast members on offense following a 2002 season in which he passed for 4,359 yards as contributing to his decline in production, though it should be mentioned that fullback Larry Centers (retired), tight end Jay Riemersma (Pittsburgh), and receiver Peerless Price (Atlanta) saw their numbers go down after leaving the Bills.

I bet these comments from DB directly lead to 3 losses for us this year.

sdbillsfan1
03-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Just one question here !!!!!! DREW who?
Forgot that losers long ago ! Let's see him run against JP !!!!!!!!!

Ickybaluky
03-24-2005, 08:36 PM
I would love to see him in the hall.

Buy him a ticket then, because that is about the only way he gets in. Drew has thrown for a lot of yardage, but Vinny Testaverde has thrown for more. Is Vinny a HOF player?

The fact is, Drew's other numbers are nowhere near HOF worthy. His Yds/Att, Comp% and TD% are mediocre or worse. When it comes time to vote, that is what guys are going to look at, not just yardage. They are going to see that he hasn't guided a team to anywhere near the playoffs in ages, and they are going to remember his teams haven't finished better than 3rd or 4th place in the division since 1999.

FlyingElvis
03-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Buy him a ticket then, because that is about the only way he gets in. Drew has thrown for a lot of yardage, but Vinny Testaverde has thrown for more. Is Vinny a HOF player?

The fact is, Drew's other numbers are nowhere near HOF worthy. His Yds/Att, Comp% and TD% are mediocre or worse. When it comes time to vote, that is what guys are going to look at, not just yardage. They are going to see that he hasn't guided a team to anywhere near the playoffs in ages, and they are going to remember his teams haven't finished better than 3rd or 4th place in the division since 1999.
Not only that, but in the NFL HoF voting, winning carries a lot of weight. Drew needs to win a SB at this point to get in the Hall.

Sportsuser101
03-25-2005, 12:24 AM
Cowboys fans are going to fall into the same trap we did. Next year they will be talking the same way we are about Drew.

Billz_fan
03-25-2005, 01:55 AM
Im sure Drew will have a decent year this season. Look out after that :laughter: