• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicknoze69
    Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
    • Jul 2002

Henry/Shelton trade will get done

Having been seemingly dormant for weeks, discussions aimed at a swap of Buffalo Bills tailback Travis Henry and Arizona Cardinals offensive tackle L.J. Shelton were revived at the NFL owners meetings this week, and there is a decent shot the proposed trade will be consummated around draft time. The final hurdle: In addition to getting Shelton, who would replace Jonas Jennings as the starting left tackle, Bills general manager Tom Donahoe also wants to switch spots in the second round. That would mean Buffalo would move to the No. 44 slot overall and Arizona would slide back to the No. 55 spot. Cardinals coach Dennis Green has balked at that component of the trade but apparently still wants Henry to fill the hole he's got at tailback, so that he could then use his first-round choice in the draft (the No. 8 position) to grab a much-needed cornerback. The speculation had been that Green was eyeing a running back with his first-round choice. Apparently, he feels he can get a young runner, such as J.J. Arrington of the University of California, in the second round. The Bills, who don't have a first-round selection, having dealt it to Dallas last year in the trade that enabled them to choose quarterback J.P. Losman, want to improve their lot as much as possible in the second round. Buffalo needs Shelton, or the Bills will probably have to move starting center Trey Teague to left tackle, a position he has not played since he left Denver following the 2001 season. With Losman as a first-year starter, the Bills want to maintain as much stability as they can on the offensive line.

The Jags' David Garrard is one of the many young QBs who should garner interest as a free agent in '06.

Nothing we didn't already know, just a little more info
    Last edited by Dicknoze69; 03-25-2005, 01:41 PM.

God give me style and give me grace
    God put a smile upon my face
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

That would be awesome.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• jpdex12
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Dicknoze69
      Having been seemingly dormant for weeks, discussions aimed at a swap of Buffalo Bills tailback Travis Henry and Arizona Cardinals offensive tackle L.J. Shelton were revived at the NFL owners meetings this week, and there is a decent shot the proposed trade will be consummated around draft time. The final hurdle: In addition to getting Shelton, who would replace Jonas Jennings as the starting left tackle, Bills general manager Tom Donahoe also wants to switch spots in the second round. That would mean Buffalo would move to the No. 44 slot overall and Arizona would slide back to the No. 55 spot. Cardinals coach Dennis Green has balked at that component of the trade but apparently still wants Henry to fill the hole he's got at tailback, so that he could then use his first-round choice in the draft (the No. 8 position) to grab a much-needed cornerback. The speculation had been that Green was eyeing a running back with his first-round choice. Apparently, he feels he can get a young runner, such as J.J. Arrington of the University of California, in the second round. The Bills, who don't have a first-round selection, having dealt it to Dallas last year in the trade that enabled them to choose quarterback J.P. Losman, want to improve their lot as much as possible in the second round. Buffalo needs Shelton, or the Bills will probably have to move starting center Trey Teague to left tackle, a position he has not played since he left Denver following the 2001 season. With Losman as a first-year starter, the Bills want to maintain as much stability as they can on the offensive line.

The Jags' David Garrard is one of the many young QBs who should garner interest as a free agent in '06.

Nothing we didn't already know, just a little more info
      At least your mind is in the right area. If this article is true, IMO I can see that TD wants to grab Shelton still for Henry, but by moving up to #44, we have a legit shot at grabbing Bryant McFadden (insurance for Clements leaving via FA) and then maybe we'll grab a LT with our third round pick to groom...maybe Wesley Britt. That would give us flexibility in the future to move Shelton to Guard if need be and Britt to LT if he was good enough.
      Just a thought.
      Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• Dicknoze69
        Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jpdex12
        At least your mind is in the right area. If this article is true, IMO I can see that TD wants to grab Shelton still for Henry, but by moving up to #44, we have a legit shot at grabbing Bryant McFadden (insurance for Clements leaving via FA) and then maybe we'll grab a LT with our third round pick to groom...maybe Wesley Britt. That would give us flexibility in the future to move Shelton to Guard if need be and Britt to LT if he was good enough.
        Just a thought.
        You've got a point. If this trade goes through, there's a real good chance we grab a CB at #44 instead of OL. I'm not a real big fan of McFadden however.

God give me style and give me grace
        God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• Romes
          • Jul 2002

4 weeks till the draft...i don't know how much longer I can wait.
          Originally posted by paladin warrior
          RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Romes
            • Jul 2002

I read somewhere that the Bills liked Antajj Hawethorne from Wisconsin. Myabe they would grab him if they decided to move up.
            Originally posted by paladin warrior
            RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• ryjam282
              Offical Billszone Starting QB
              • Mar 2003

I still think if we were able to move up, that TD would be eyeing Baas or someone on the line. He has ignored that aspect of the team for far too long.

Ryan Withey
              Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryjam282
                I still think if we were able to move up, that TD would be eyeing Baas or someone on the line. He has ignored that aspect of the team for far too long.
                That's exactly what I'm thinking. TD wants to move up because he knows that the top G/C's will be gone by the time Buffalo is ready to select at 55. I like this move. The Cardinals don't have to worry about losing a draft pick, and the Bills can move up closer to the 1st round to get a guy like Barron, Munoz, Baas, Barnes, Brown, or even Johnson.

Comment

• thebuffalobills4
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mikey82
                  That's exactly what I'm thinking. TD wants to move up because he knows that the top G/C's will be gone by the time Buffalo is ready to select at 55. I like this move. The Cardinals don't have to worry about losing a draft pick, and the Bills can move up closer to the 1st round to get a guy like Barron, Munoz, Baas, Barnes, Brown, or even Johnson.
                  true :bikerbabe
                  :oldskool:
                  micheal phelps is a beast

Comment

• Rhettoric
                    • Mar 2005

Tom Donahoe also wants to switch spots in the second round. That would mean Buffalo would move to the No. 44 slot overall and Arizona would slide back to the No. 55 spot.

That will be a coup if TD can pull it off, filling a needed position and moving up.
                    Green is TD's beotch!
                    "Is his junk out?....Now it's a party."

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                      Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                      • Mar 2003

Shelton-Baas/Johnson-Teague-Villarial-MW
                      Backups: Tucker, Gandy, L. Smith

"It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                      -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Devin
                        The Octagon
                        • Apr 2003

if TD pulls off LJ ill feel much better about the line, hes hardly a savior but it allows us to keep teague at C. At LT hed get killed.

We added Gandy for depth, and Holcomb at QB.

Draft som DL/CB depth and we are straight.
                        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• gobuffalo2007
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

I hope the trade happens I dont know how much more of Henry's whining I can take.

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
                            Shelton-Baas/Johnson-Teague-Villarial-MW
                            Backups: Tucker, Gandy, L. Smith

I agree...that is much better than what we have now.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                              • Feb 2005

If we do make the 2nd round swap I think Baas is the guy to pick. He not only fills our LG spot but if Anderson is signed then Baas would be the backup to all 3 interior offensive line positions.
                              Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

Working...
                              X