Instead of going Oline round 2...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowHawk7
    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
    • Mar 2003

Instead of going Oline round 2...

I wouldn't mind picking a DT round 2, I'd say it's more of a need than more think. Adams has got two more solid years realistically, if that, and Edwards/Anderson may or may not be the answer for even one DT spot. If we could nail a solid DT, we would stabilize that position for a good time to come. I think the Shelton trade will go through, and unless top tier guard drops, I'd wait till the third to grab a G. CB is another distinct possibility for round 2.

I think we should draft like this:

2. DT (LT if we don't get Shelton, or CB if someone drops.)
    3. G (DT if we don't get Shelton)
    4. CB (if one hadn't been picked yet)
    5. WR (See if we can't find a sleeper for our #3 or #4 spot.)
    6. RB (competition for Shaud)
    7. OLB (Depth)

Thoughts?
    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
    -Vince Lombardi
  • BigZ
    • Sep 2003

I think we need to look at a center with our 2nd or 3rd round pick. Teague would be better at another ol position eventually. We need someone who can fill the C position for years to come.

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
    I wouldn't mind picking a DT round 2, I'd say it's more of a need than more think. Adams has got two more solid years realistically, if that, and Edwards/Anderson may or may not be the answer for even one DT spot. If we could nail a solid DT, we would stabilize that position for a good time to come. I think the Shelton trade will go through, and unless top tier guard drops, I'd wait till the third to grab a G. CB is another distinct possibility for round 2.

7. OLB (Depth)

Thoughts?

Comment

• tampabay25690
      • Feb 2004

I think it will all depend on who is available in the draft, if there is a BAss type of guy then you have to get him!!!!

If there is a stud DT grab him either or I think the Bills will go. But dont be surprised if the Bills grab a TE the guy from Stanford!!!!!!
      GO Gators!!!!!!
      GO GATORS!!

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by zielinski
        I think we need to look at a center with our 2nd or 3rd round pick. Teague would be better at another ol position eventually. We need someone who can fill the C position for years to come.
        Teague plays solid veteran football for us at C. He doesn't allow many sacks at all, and while not overpowering, can generate room to run. I think of safest bet is to keep him at C.
        -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

If we dont go Oline in with our first pick ,,,,,then I would take Matt Jones the WR/QB/TE...he could be very interesting in Mularkey's offense.

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
            Expert on Experts
            • Jul 2002

Mike Patterson, DT, USC! just ran a 4.9 at 300 pounds or so. Motor never stops, was the rock of a great USC defense. He'll be there in rd 2

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mahdi
              If we dont go Oline in with our first pick ,,,,,then I would take Matt Jones the WR/QB/TE...he could be very interesting in Mularkey's offense.
              I don't think i'd take him round 2, but you have a point, MM would use him in interesting ways...

Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
              Mike Patterson, DT, USC! just ran a 4.9 at 300 pounds or so. Motor never stops, was the rock of a great USC defense. He'll be there in rd 2
              Sounds good to me! I've heard this guy is really good before too. Does anyone have a bio or pros and cons of this guy?
              -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

7. OLB (Depth)

Thoughts?
                So you would only choose 1 O lineman in this years draft?

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
                  WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
                  • Mar 2003

TT is a FA after this season. Would the Bills sign him again? If Edwards has a big year, he will be impossible to resign. I don't think Clements will resign either. If a team drafts for the future, the Bills have to be looking at getting Oline, DT, and CB help.

List of who becomes a FA after 2005 season:

UFA: DT Bannan, CB Clements, DE Denney, DT Edwards, WR Haddad, RB Henry, WR Reed, FB Shelton, OL Teague, and S Wire

RFA: WR Aiken, LB Crowell, LB Haggan, CB McGee, OL L. Smith

EFA: CB Greer, TE/OL Peters, DE Ritzmann, TE Trafford, RB S. Williams
                  Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• Slim
                    • Apr 2004

I'd like to see Bartwell in the 1st. I think hes a sleeper, and i think hes capable of making an impact right away

Comment

• Superhero
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by zielinski
                      Bills could play Tucker at Center in the '06 sesaon

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Aug 2004

I wouldn't mind picking a DT round 2, I'd say it's more of a need than more think. Adams has got two more solid years realistically, if that, and Edwards/Anderson may or may not be the answer for even one DT spot. If we could nail a solid DT, we would stabilize that position for a good time to come.
                        Please see my comments about T.Anderson under the thread T.Anderson: while we haven't seen him play much and don't know how good he will be, the guy wasn't exactly "chopped liver" when he came out of college--he was projected to be, at the very least, a solid, "run-stuffing" DT starter and was taken in the early 3rd round of a much deeper draft than this years. Anderson was taken when he was drafted last year so that he could be groomed to take P.Williams' place, if the Bills did not resign Williams, and he is being expected to do precisely that this season.

While I wouldn't mind seeing the Bills take a DT at some point in this year's draft, simply because R.Edwards will be a FA next season and you are right about S.Adams becoming "long in the tooth", I wouldn't want to see them spend their first pick in the draft on a DT unless: 1.) they knew they were going to be able to keep N.Clements; 2.) the T.Henry-LJ Shelton trade had gone through; and, 3.) the DT that they were going to take was significantly better and more capable of contributing right away than the O-linemen or DBs still remaining on the board.

Personally, I think that the Bills really need to improve their offensive line if they are going to be a championship caliber power-rushing offense. And, while good offensive linemen taken later in the draft can be developed into solid starters and I have great faith in Coach McNally's abilities to mold a solid offensive line, I do think that the Bills need to add more talent--first day of the draft talent--to their pool of offensive linemen in this draft in order to build around. For that reason, depending on what they are planning to do with N.Clements, I really would like to see them use either their pick in the 2nd round or their pick in the 3rd round to take an offensive lineman. If they get LJ Shelton and are going to do whatever is necessary to keep N.Clements, then I could see them taking a DT with either their 2nd or 3rd round pick, depending on who is available. But, I just think the need on the O-line is far more pressing at this point to ignore and than the need at DT is.

I think that the T.Henry-LJ Shelton situation and what the team decides to do with N.Clements will dictate what the Bills do in the draft. Getting Shelton will be a big help for the O-line, but will necessitate drafting a big RB to back-up Willis--which can be done in the 4th or 5th round because this is a deep draft at RB. If the team is going to keep N.Clements and McGee, then, the need at CB is much less and the team can afford to go for O-line and DT help earlier and possibly squeeze in a WR, TE or LB in the middle rounds.

At this point, it is hard to tell how the team is going to decide to deal with those two key issues because they are, rightfully, playing things very "close to the vest" and are not going to reveal what they are planning to do. I think that they will wait as long as possible--perhaps right up until Arizona is on the board in the 2nd round--to resolve the Henry-Shelton situation (I think they are going to play "chicken" with Henry and the Cards) and that how that plays out may determine how they will deal with Clements later on and, then, what they will do in the draft from that point on.
                        Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                          Too sober for this...
                          • Apr 2004

I'm starting to think that TD might go a completely different route if we get Shelton and move up 11 positions. If we get Shelton, that means only 1 position on the O-line has changed and should allow for more consistency and gelling. In certain situations, I could see him pushing off O-linemen til later in the draft - especially for Center since there is depth there. I could see something like the following. Note that this assumes we get Shelton at LT!

It is interesting how the 1st person we end up picking will probably affect atleast the next picks after!!!

My preference is for something like this:

2) Baas - (G/C)
                          3) Chris Henry (WR)
                          4) Ronald Bartell (CB)
                          5) Darrell Shropshire or Anthony Bryant (DT)
                          6) Nick Collins or Travis Daniels (S)
                          7) Dan Connolly or Joe Berger (OT)

Alternatively, I could see this scenario if Baas is taken:

2) Anttaj Hawthorne - (DT)
                          3) Jeremy Parquet (OT)
                          4) Ronald Bartell (CB)
                          5) Vincent Jackson (WR)
                          6) Nick Collins or Travis Daniels (S)
                          7) Kenneth Pettway or Arnold Harrison (OLB)

Or this scenario if both Baas and Hawthorne are taken:

2) Fabian Washington or Bryant McFadden - (CB) (I doubt Justin Miller will still be available as some were hoping for. All indications are that atleast 5 CBs will be gone by the time AZ's 2nd rd pick).
                          3) Jeremy Parquet (OT)
                          4) Richie Incognito (C)
                          5) Darrell Shropshire or Anthony Bryant (DT)
                          6) Brandon Jones or Larry Brackins (WR)
                          7) James Sanders or Ben Emanuel (S)

I just found it interesting that that 1st pick has such a cascade effect on the next choices...

Comment

Working...
                          X