X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbisset
    • Oct 2002

Who will be a better QB?

Who do you think will be a better Pro QB - JP, Smith or Roger?

Do we all agree that trading this years draft pick with Dallas that TD did the right thing by getting JP?
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

I have no doubt that we did the right thing. We took our QB of the future a year early and gave him a year to learn the offense and watch and learn from the other NFL QBs. If we didn't do the Losman trade, we'd probably still have Drew or would be starting Kelly Holcomb and not be able to do our rookie QB until next season or in the middle of this season.

Plus, I like Losman a lot better than the other two.

Comment

• Italian Stallion
      Knows More Than You
      • Feb 2004

TD did the right thing....Not one thing about any of the QB's in this years draft excite me, and you have to believe that he thought ahead, and decided to get the process started early with a guy he actually likes, in JP.

It might have looked like alot at draft time last year to give up to the cowgirls, but besides the possibility of Leinart in this years draft, TD and Co looked ahead, got scared at what was there for the '05 Draft, (and knowing they needed a young QB, none of this Travis Brown crap) they went ahead and took the guy they liked last year
      BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

I like cheeseburgers and eva mendes

Comment

• ddaryl
        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
        • Jan 2005

I'm completely biased

JP

Comment

• sdbillsfan1
          • Mar 2005

Definitly J.P.!!!! Got to love the fact the guy has come in early to study and get ready for the up coming year doesn't hurt his credibilty either ! Let's just hope the rest of the team puts forth the same dedication to winning football games !

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

It doesn't matter. In order to get Smith or Rodgers, the Bills would have had to really suck, so we wouldn't have had a chance at them anyway. We did great for the position we were in.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• gobuffalo2007
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Mar 2005

JP=16-0
              anyone else=10-6
              we cant lose.

Comment

• RetroRaiders81
                Raidaas Fans Watch Will and Grace
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gobuffalo2007
                JP=16-0
                anyone else=10-6
                we cant lose.
                Your confidence disgusts me.
                The Houston Retro Raiders.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

JP and Aaron Rodgers are very similiar physically but I give Rodgers an edge because of better completion percentage and TD: INT and his "winning percentage". Smith put up great numbers but it could be he's a product of the system and has the weakest arm of the three.

In terms of best pro it all depends where Rodgers and Smith end up. If Rodgers ends up in San Fran (as suspected) I think he'll struggle as the cast there is not as good as what we have here. If Smith ends up in Cleveland he too could struggle but if lands in Arizona might end up having the best career of the three if the Cardinals can keep Boldin and Fitzgerald around.

Comment

• gobuffalo2007
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RetroRaiders81
                    Your confidence disgusts me.
                    your face disgusts me.

Comment

• Throne Logic
                      Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
                      It doesn't matter. In order to get Smith or Rodgers, the Bills would have had to really suck, so we wouldn't have had a chance at them anyway. We did great for the position we were in.
                      Exactly. JP would have been a much higher pick in this year's draft. Since he had little to no impact on how the season played out, Buffalo would be picking far too low in this draft to have a shot at him without a trade up, which would have been highly unlikely. We'd still be putting our eggs in the Bledsoe basket. . .
                      Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Throne Logic
                        Exactly. JP would have been a much higher pick in this year's draft. Since he had little to no impact on how the season played out, Buffalo would be picking far too low in this draft to have a shot at him without a trade up, which would have been highly unlikely. We'd still be putting our eggs in the Bledsoe basket. . .
                        I couldn't agree more!

I also think that JP is going to turn out to be a pretty good QB. Last year, going into the draft, no one questioned his physical abilities. The biggest knock on him that I read was that he had a "cocky" attitude. Well, after a year of listening to and reading what he has had to say and observing the way that he has approached the job of learning how to be the Bills' starting QB next season, I haven't seen anything about his attitude or approach (other than not expecting to get "thrown to the lions" at the end of the second NE game) that has not been exactly what you would want and expect to see from a young QB. And, from what little we have been able to see of him on the field, he seems to have everything, physically, that was advertised: a good arm, accuracy, touch, and mobility.

Sitting here in the NYC area and reading articles in the local newspapers in which E.Manning is bemoaning the fact that none of his primary receivers will be showing up to work with him during the off-season workout sessions, I am even more impressed by the fact that JP has been working with the coaches in Buffalo for a couple of months already and that his teammates have not only noticed, but are responding to not only the coaches but to what he has been doing by showing up for the Bills' workouts in even greater numbers than last year. That says a lot.

Now, I'm sure that JP is going to make his share of mistakes out on the field this season--some of which are certain to drive all of us Bills fans crazy--but I think that he learned a lot from the experiences he had last season ("slide, damn it, slide!", "never come to a game unprepared to play!", etc.) and has gotten his career off on the right foot so far. I think he's going to be a good one and that TD definitely did the right thing in making the trade to get him.

As for whether he will be better than Rodgers or Smith over the course of his career: well, that's really hard to say. I like Smith a lot and I think that he's got a lot of the same qualities that JP has. If there's a difference at this stage, it might be that JP has a little bit stronger arm and is a little bit heavier. Still, in the right system, I think that Smith could turn out to be a pretty good NFL QB. I'm a little less certain about Rodgers--in part because I see him as being rather similar to K.Boller and coming out of the same college system. Boller was just about as highly touted coming out of college and really hasn't developed into the kind of QB who can carry his team to a big victory yet, even though he has been given every opportunity and been tutored by two supposed "QB gurus" on the NFL level. Which leads me to have some doubts about whether Rodgers will have similar difficulties. I'm just not sure at this point whether Rodgers is that much better than Boller or whether their college performances were a product of the system at Cal. So, I still have some doubts about Rodgers.

But, regardless of their relative talents or how they end up developing down the road, I think that, initially at least, JP will have a better chance of being successful at the outset because the Bills already have more talent in place around him than either Smith or Rodgers are likely to find on whatever teams draft them. I think that that makes a difference and can sometimes effect how a young QB develops because a player who breaks in with a team that has some talent is less likely to physically and/or psychologically beaten down than a QB that gets "thrown to the lions" out of necessity on a team than doesn't have a lot of talent (case in point: K.O'Brien as opposed to J.Kelly and D.Marino). And, right now, I'd rather have JP, with what little experience that he has, leading the Bills into next season than I would either Smith or Rodgers.
                        Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Iehoshua
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by gobuffalo2007
                          JP=16-0
                          anyone else=10-6
                          we cant lose.
                          Excellent. Welcome to the JPD. Wear your badge proudly.

This thread though should never have been started. Those who doubt JP will be incarcerated, then negged. ...or was it negged then incarcerated..? Either way, watch where you be steppin' and recognize.

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

to Darth
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                              • Mar 2005

Being a Fin Fan, I think you guys probably did good. Like it was said earlier, even though he was injured, JPL could learn the offense(at least in the book and watching). You got the last year out of Drew(good luck Cowboys) and don't have to wait the extra year for a rookie. Whether JPL will ultimately be better than Smith and Rodgers? Time will tell. Would the Bills have been in position this year to grab one of those guys anyway? Probably not. JPL will probably end up being good for you guys. Just hopefully not against us!!

Comment

Working...
                              X