X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Foxsports draft buzz

DRAFT BUZZ: The impact of rookie centers the past few years could prove beneficial for the Bills. The center position is pretty deep in the draft, it wouldn't be a surprise if the Bills took one in their second or third-round pick. San Diego (Nick Hardwick), Oakland

(Jake Grove), New England (Dan Koppen) and New Orleans (LeCharles Bentley) are teams that found immediate starters in the past three drafts. C Trey Teague may be moved to left tackle and is entering the last year of his contract, so a replacement must be found in this draft. LSU's Ben Wilkerson, Oklahoma's Vince Carter, Mississippi junior Chris Spencer, North Carolina's Jason Brown and Michigan's David Baas are among the top prospects

Get NFL news, scores, stats, standings & more for your favorite teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Buffalo

It can be argued that the Bills overpaid to get QB Kelly Holcomb, but we hear that it shows how important it was to Buffalo’s brain trust to get a dependable veteran who can run the offense without making crucial mistakes should J.P. Losman falter or get hurt. Word is that Holcomb has impressed the Bills with a great attitude in accepting his backup role, and they are confident that he can be the starter if need be. This shouldn’t be looked at as a lack of confidence in Losman, just an opportunity to upgrade the backup QB position. Last year’s backup, Shane Matthews, is expected to retire.
    sacrifice1

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
      LSU's Ben Wilkerson, Oklahoma's Vince Carter, Mississippi junior Chris Spencer, North Carolina's Jason Brown and Michigan's David Baas are among the top prospects
      Didn't know the southern states are known to produce good centers.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
        Didn't know the southern states are known to produce good centers.
        negged
        sacrifice1

Comment

• Sportsuser101
          • Feb 2005

Overpaid for Holcomb? Huh?
          Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
            Overpaid for Holcomb? Huh?
            Yeah, I know... sounded kinda off the wall to me too. Word has it that Cleveland offered him $8M for 4 years while the Bills got him for those same 4 years at around $6.5M. How's that overpaying?

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
              WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
              • Mar 2003

It's too bad TD and alot of fans on this board have put so little value in drafting a Center over the last few years. You know who you are. "Draft a guy in the 7th and make him a Center." "Drafting a center high is stupid. Instead spend a Day 1 pick on someone that will play less than 10 plays this season." (WM, JP, Crowell, Anderson, Denney, etc)"

"No just because our Center has difficulty with the shotgun snap, bullrushes, and our RBs get no yardage up the middle, doesn't mean an upgrade is called for."

But I guess drafting legitimate Centers has worked out for some teams.
              Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                • Feb 2005

Last year TT was very good. He was bad at shotgun snaps but was that because of Bledsoe or TT? Probably a combination. Can't run the ball up the middle? Last year we made a living run up the middle and then cutting it to either left or right. Just because he didn't end up in the center of the field doesn't mean we didn't run the ball up the middle. We did it effectively. TT also didn't give up a sack and only gave up 2 penalties. We do need to draft a center/guard so we have some depth and in case TT leaves next year or if he moves over to LT.
                Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                  • Feb 2005

Also are you complaining about McGahee, Losman and Anderson? If we didn't have those guys we would be looking for 1 a QB, RB and DT in the draft. Its not like we're looking for a starting center (unless TT moves).
                  Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
                    It's too bad TD and alot of fans on this board have put so little value in drafting a Center over the last few years. You know who you are. "Draft a guy in the 7th and make him a Center." "Drafting a center high is stupid. Instead spend a Day 1 pick on someone that will play less than 10 plays this season." (WM, JP, Crowell, Anderson, Denney, etc)"

"No just because our Center has difficulty with the shotgun snap, bullrushes, and our RBs get no yardage up the middle, doesn't mean an upgrade is called for."

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                      short bus extraordinaire
                      • Jul 2002

i wouldn't mind baas.i doubt that he falls to us.i wouldn't mind seeing donahoe trading up for him either.
                      Originally posted by yordad
                      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• jpdex12
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger

How can you always have pleasant things to say?
                        Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
                          • Mar 2003

Last year TT was very good. He was bad at shotgun snaps but was that because of Bledsoe or TT? Probably a combination. Can't run the ball up the middle? Last year we made a living run up the middle and then cutting it to either left or right. Just because he didn't end up in the center of the field doesn't mean we didn't run the ball up the middle. We did it effectively. TT also didn't give up a sack and only gave up 2 penalties. We do need to draft a center/guard so we have some depth and in case TT leaves next year or if he moves over to LT.

The Bills did not make a living running up the middle. TH didn't have the speed to break it to the outside and the holes weren't there for him up the middle. Result: 0-4 start. WM had the quickness to break it to the outside but would get hit 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage on runs up the middle. This would happen 5-7 times a game. He had alot of runs for neg yards or no gain. All his big gains were to the outside. TT got blown up by the better D lines. Centers in general, don't give up many sacks. Also a false start penalty on the guy snapping the ball would be difficult. To his credit, he doesn't hold.

I want TT to pass the torch to our new Center by mid-season and take his role as a quality back-up C/LT
                          Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
                            • Mar 2003

Also are you complaining about McGahee, Losman and Anderson? If we didn't have those guys we would be looking for 1 a QB, RB and DT in the draft. Its not like we're looking for a starting center (unless TT moves).

Your love of TT is only matched by my continued hope for an upgrade at Center.

Some of my points go back years before you were here. I have wanted an upgrade at Center for the last 3 drafts. Other posters thought it was foolish to draft a Center on Day 1. But as the article shows, it has worked out for some teams. I liked Bentley in 2002. In 2003 I wanted Jeff Faine, who went before WM. He coincidently might be a June 1st cut by the Browns after injury problems (WM turned out to be much better pick). I wanted Al Johnson(cowboys) in the 2nd. I wanted Jake Grove last year. Yes it is great to have players like JP, WM, as the future, but it would have been nice to make the playoffs in the recent past also. The Bills have spent the last 2 years building for the future while keeping the status quo on O-line, at the expense of those seasons. That's getting old.

If we didn't have McGahee, but had a legitimate dominant O-line TH would be good for at least 1300+ yards. He did it twice behind below average lines.
                            Last edited by BuffaloRanger; 03-29-2005, 01:05 AM.
                            Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• mybills
                              81 st zoner
                              • Jul 2002

As long as we get another C, I don't care when they get him. I highly doubt they'll pick one early anyways.
                              I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

Working...
                              X