• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Host
    Banned
    • Jul 2002

Bills overpaid for dependable backup

It can be argued that the Bills overpaid to get QB Kelly Holcomb, but we hear that it shows how important it was to Buffalo’s brain trust to get a dependable veteran who can run the offense without making crucial mistakes should J.P. Losman falter or get hurt. Word is that Holcomb has impressed the Bills with a great attitude in accepting his backup role, and they are confident that he can be the starter if need be. This shouldn’t be looked at as a lack of confidence in Losman, just an opportunity to upgrade the backup QB position. Last year’s backup, Shane Matthews, is expected to retire.

PFW
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Already a thread with this info.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
      • Feb 2005

That was an unintelligent article by PFW. We paid a guy next to nothing and less then the Browns offered and we overpaid? Thats a terrible job of reporting by whoever wrote that.
      Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• regor
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
        That was an unintelligent article by PFW. We paid a guy next to nothing and less then the Browns offered and we overpaid? Thats a terrible job of reporting by whoever wrote that.

First time I agree with you today

Comment

• Sportsuser101
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by regor
          First time I agree with you today
          About time!
          Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

While I'm happy to have Holcomb, I'd rather we'd used the money it took to get him to bring in an O-lineman like Pork Chop Womack.

Comment

• G. Host
              Banned
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
              Already a thread with this info.
              Please merge them please then. I still do not see it but if you see it, it is there.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Jokeman
                While I'm happy to have Holcomb, I'd rather we'd used the money it took to get him to bring in an O-lineman like Pork Chop Womack.
                If we weren't willing to pay him what he got from the Seahawks then I doubt the Holcomb signing had anything to do with not getting him. You can't just focus on 1 thing. You need to sign free agents other then just your most important need. It wouldn't be very wise for a general manager to do that. He wouldn't have a job very long.
                Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• clumping platelets

Holcomb is not overpaid

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                    short bus extraordinaire
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Sportsuser101

i agree.i'd rather pay the contract we're giving holcombe than what we paid for bledsoe.
                    Originally posted by yordad
                    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                      short bus extraordinaire
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                      Holcomb is not overpaid

i dare anybody to argue with the capologist.
                      Originally posted by yordad
                      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• The Natrix
                        • Jul 2002

Underpaid, if anything. Pats would have never gone to the superbowl if Bledsoe didn't play well against the Steelers. You need a solid backup.
                        Holcomb could turn into a fan favorite.

Byrd.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by G. Host
                          It can be argued that the Bills overpaid to get QB Kelly Holcomb, but we hear that it shows how important it was to Buffalo’s brain trust to get a dependable veteran who can run the offense without making crucial mistakes should J.P. Losman falter or get hurt. Word is that Holcomb has impressed the Bills with a great attitude in accepting his backup role, and they are confident that he can be the starter if need be. This shouldn’t be looked at as a lack of confidence in Losman, just an opportunity to upgrade the backup QB position. Last year’s backup, Shane Matthews, is expected to retire.

PFW
                          Hey welcome to the club. Most Fin Fans figure we over paid last year for a 3rd stringer in Feeley. Hopefully he can step up this year. That Monday night win over the Patsies got him a reprieve but it won't last long. For your sake, I hope JPL beats out Holcomb

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by LtFinFan66
                            Hey welcome to the club. Most Fin Fans figure we over paid last year for a 3rd stringer in Feeley....
                            I think you've missed the point of this thread: while the author of the article thinks the Bills overpaid Holcomb, most Bills fans do not!

As for the the article, it is the only one that I have seen thus far that is in any way critical of the Holcomb signing, which several other articles, including one in the NY Daily News announcing the signing, have hailed as being a very good move by the Bills. I'm not sure that this article wasn't an attempt--and a very poor one, at that--by the author to offer a "different take" on the Holcomb signing.

Personally, I think the Holcomb signing was an excellent move: Holcomb has the experience needed to tutor Losman without being "over-the-hill", has been brilliant at times in relief and spot starts which means that he can capably step in for JP in either situation if called on to do so, he has a strong enough arm and a demonstrated ability to play well in bad weather conditions, and, unlike a lot of the other veteran FA QBs on the market, is willing to come in as a #2, instead of as the starter, to give JP a chance to show what he can do, and, contrary to the article's contention, he signed at a very reasonable price for all of the attributes that he brings to the table. Not bad, in my book.

Apparently, from the comments Holcomb made right after the signing, it was a signing that TD had very high on his agenda right from the beginning of the free agency period: Holcomb was quoted as saying that the Bills contacted his agent on the first day of free agency and continued to show interest in him, which was, in part, why he was willing to sign with the Bills for less than Cleveland offered and even though he would coming in as a back-up with no guarantees with regard to even having a chance to compete for the starting job (something that Cleveland was at least saying that they were willing to give him a chance to do).

When you take all of that into consideration, along with the list of other FA QBs who were available at the time, I don't know how anyone could conclude that the Holcomb signing was anything less than a good move by the Bills or that they overpaid on the deal. The Bills needed to get an experienced, veteran QB who would back-up and mentor JP, without trying to undermine him, who could step in and be expected to play well, if called on to do so, at a reasonable price--and they got exactly that in Holcomb. That certainly sounds like a good deal to me!
                            Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
                              I think you've missed the point of this thread: while the author of the article thinks the Bills overpaid Holcomb, most Bills fans do not!

As for the the article, it is the only one that I have seen thus far that is in any way critical of the Holcomb signing, which several other articles, including one in the NY Daily News announcing the signing, have hailed as being a very good move by the Bills. I'm not sure that this article wasn't an attempt--and a very poor one, at that--by the author to offer a "different take" on the Holcomb signing.

Personally, I think the Holcomb signing was an excellent move: Holcomb has the experience needed to tutor Losman without being "over-the-hill", has been brilliant at times in relief and spot starts which means that he can capably step in for JP in either situation if called on to do so, he has a strong enough arm and a demonstrated ability to play well in bad weather conditions, and, unlike a lot of the other veteran FA QBs on the market, is willing to come in as a #2, instead of as the starter, to give JP a chance to show what he can do, and, contrary to the article's contention, he signed at a very reasonable price for all of the attributes that he brings to the table. Not bad, in my book.

Apparently, from the comments Holcomb made right after the signing, it was a signing that TD had very high on his agenda right from the beginning of the free agency period: Holcomb was quoted as saying that the Bills contacted his agent on the first day of free agency and continued to show interest in him, which was, in part, why he was willing to sign with the Bills for less than Cleveland offered and even though he would coming in as a back-up with no guarantees with regard to even having a chance to compete for the starting job (something that Cleveland was at least saying that they were willing to give him a chance to do).

When you take all of that into consideration, along with the list of other FA QBs who were available at the time, I don't know how anyone could conclude that the Holcomb signing was anything less than a good move by the Bills or that they overpaid on the deal. The Bills needed to get an experienced, veteran QB who would back-up and mentor JP, without trying to undermine him, who could step in and be expected to play well, if called on to do so, at a reasonable price--and they got exactly that in Holcomb. That certainly sounds like a good deal to me!
                              Oh, sorry. Guess I missed the article. Didn't see the link there at the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                              X