PDA

View Full Version : Does this affect the possible Henry deal at all?

ryjam282
03-29-2005, 04:54 PM
Broncos, Browns close to a deal
Story Tools: Print Email XML
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 hours ago

The Cleveland Browns and Denver Broncos are close to a trade that would strongly bolster the Browns backfield before the draft while giving Denver their second first-round DE in two days.

Sources have told FOXSports.com that the Browns and Broncos are in deep talks regarding a trade that would send last year's Broncos breakout back Reuben Droughns to Cleveland for defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban.
Ekuban, the former first-round pick, had surgery recently on his knee and shoulder and is not expected to be healthy until May. He is expected to visit the Broncos this week, but due to the health concerns, the two sides have discussed working out appropriate draft choice compensation for the 2006 draft if Ekuban cannot return to full strength in time for the season. However, if Ekuban's physical pans out well, the two sides may agree to a straight up player-for-player deal without any stipulation. MORE (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3499620)

chubluv
03-29-2005, 05:12 PM
If this does happen that means that denver will have 3 of clevelands starting d-line from last year. They already traded for Warrren, today i heard that denver is about to sign Courtney Brown. Was the browns d-line that good last year that denver is gobbling them all up?

jamze132
03-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Let them. They will suffer the same fate as Cleveland.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-30-2005, 02:21 AM
I don't know that it really does impact the Bills all that much since the Browns really didn't express much or any interest in T.Henry and I seriously doubt that the Broncos will suddenly become interested in him now, given the fact that they have T.Bell, who they spent a # 1 draft pick on and seem to want to get on the field, to replace Droughns.

If anything, it might make T.Henry more attractive to the Cardinals by taking Droughns off of the market. It's hard to see any team being more interested in trading for William Green than they would be in trading for T.Henry.

If R.Brown and C.Williams go in the first 5 picks of the draft, as expected, the Cards will have to choose between taking Benson or a CB (probably Rolle) at # 8. If they take Benson, they have to hope that he and the rookie CB that they take later on will both be able to step in and effectively start immediately. If they pass on Benson, he is not likely to fall into the 2nd Round, so they will either have to hope that JJArrington lasts until their pick in Round Two or make a trade for T.Henry. Otherwise, they will run a serious risk of not being able to get a RB who will be ready to step in and start this season and may end up getting stuck with M.Shipp, coming off of a serious leg injury, being their starting RB this season. Their other RB options are either going to be very expensive (trading for S.Alexander or, less likely, E.James) or less attractive than trading for T.Henry (ie, trading for W.Green or signing A.Thomas, etc.).

The Cardinals might have been able to get Droughns from Denver for less than what the Bills apparently want for T.Henry, but now that option is off of the table. So, in that sense, this deal might help the Bills a little.

lunatic_bills_fan
03-30-2005, 03:29 AM
man is Droughn's stock really that much higher than Hanry's? One good year behind the Bronco's line, doesnt equate to first round draft pick in my mind.

Tatonka
03-30-2005, 07:22 AM
the dlineman from cleveland has not exactly played anything like a first round pick.

Dicknoze69
03-30-2005, 08:44 AM
I think this trade shows a decent barometer of what we can expect for Henry.

Everyone here will agree that Henry is a much more proven back than Droughns, and the Broncos were able to get Ekuban plus Myers. I know they aren't world-beaters, but Ekuban is a solid starter.

Therefore, I don't think Shelton and swap of 2nd rounders is too far-fetched for us to hope for.

jaja54
03-30-2005, 09:02 AM
man is Droughn's stock really that much higher than Hanry's? One good year behind the Bronco's line, doesnt equate to first round draft pick in my mind.
Especially when you consider that almost every back that has been behind that Denver OL has had very good years. I think that the Denver system makes the RB. I doubt Droughn will be as good in Cleveland.

jaja54
03-30-2005, 09:19 AM
It's actually happened!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2025542

DMBcrew36
03-30-2005, 09:20 AM
I think this trade shows a decent barometer of what we can expect for Henry.

Everyone here will agree that Henry is a much more proven back than Droughns, and the Broncos were able to get Ekuban plus Myers. I know they aren't world-beaters, but Ekuban is a solid starter.

Therefore, I don't think Shelton and swap of 2nd rounders is too far-fetched for us to hope for.Maybe TD can use the Droughns trade and say "See" ... just an example of why Shelton for Henry is not fair for the Bills or why there should be a swap of picks

Mr. Miyagi
03-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Here's my question:

If Cleveland had been interested in adding a back and eventually traded for Droughns, why weren't they a player in the Henry trade?

Dicknoze69
03-30-2005, 09:26 AM
Here's my question:

If Cleveland had been interested in adding a back and eventually traded for Droughns, why weren't they a player in the Henry trade?

I think it's because Ekuban and Myers weren't in Crennel's plans for the upcoming year, and he found a sucker in Denver who desired them.

After seeing this, he figured he could pry Droughns away with parts he deemed replaceable. I don't think Cleveland necessarily wanted a RB, but Droughns was the best he could do for 2 players who wouldn't be Browns next year.

ryjam282
03-30-2005, 09:50 AM
I am actually surprised by this a bit. I mean, I thought the Browns liked what they saw in Lee Suggs the 2nd part of the year. He did run pretty well...Strange to me.

jaja54
03-30-2005, 10:03 AM
I am actually surprised by this a bit. I mean, I thought the Browns liked what they saw in Lee Suggs the 2nd part of the year. He did run pretty well...Strange to me.

They expect Droughns to be his backup, according to the article.

jamze132
03-30-2005, 10:41 AM
Isn't it ideal to have 2 RBs who can start any given Sunday?

mysticsoto
03-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Isn't it ideal to have 2 RBs who can start any given Sunday?
Yes, but I have to wonder how he will feel going from a productive back (even if it was in the Broncos RBs-look-good system) to backing someone else up...I know he has no say...but he can't be happy about it!

Dicknoze69
03-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Yes, but I have to wonder how he will feel going from a productive back (even if it was in the Broncos RBs-look-good system) to backing someone else up...I know he has no say...but he can't be happy about it!

I thought the whole reason for his asking to be traded was so he could be the unconditional starter. I agree that he can't be too pleased.