• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cntrygal
    Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    • Jul 2002

Time for pro sports to come out -- against homophobia

The anti-gay comments made by 49ers running back Garrison Hearst were shocking. An athlete on a San Francisco team disparaging gays is about as smart as a Utah Jazz player deriding Mormons.

Yet, homophobia is so pervasive in the sports world that Hearst was seemingly oblivious at first to the fact that he might have said something offensive. Unfortunately, the sentiments he expressed are shared by many in the professional game, and these prejudices filter down to locker rooms at the most grassroots level of team sports across the nation.

More...
    Originally posted by notacon
    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

The day that an openly gay man is allowed on a football team, and using the same lockeroom, is the day that I stop watching and supporting the NFL.

Like Augusta, some things are sacred.

Comment

• redeye5
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Pride
      The day that an openly gay man is allowed on a football team, and using the same lockeroom, is the day that I stop watching and supporting the NFL.

Current Ralph Wilson Stadium Weather Click Below
      IF YOU PLAY TENNIS AND YOUR NAME ENDS WITH A "ova" YOU ARE HOT!!!!!

Comment

• Dr Phil
        Dr. Douchebag (and I'm Oprah's *****)
        • Nov 2002

Funny, people said those same things when Jackie Robinson joined MLB
        BFZ Resident Psychologist

Too many people worry about what other people think of them.

They wouldn't worry about it too much, if they realized how little, others actually think about them.

Comment

• Dr Phil
          Dr. Douchebag (and I'm Oprah's *****)
          • Nov 2002

So, if the Bills draft a 6-11, 300 lb DT who can run as fast as Travis Henry, averages 15 sacks a season for 10 years, Is willing to take paycuts for the team to retain/obtain more superstar talent, gives back to the community, stops to sign every kid's autograph......but was gay, you would give up football.

Sounds shallow to me....
          BFZ Resident Psychologist

Too many people worry about what other people think of them.

They wouldn't worry about it too much, if they realized how little, others actually think about them.

Comment

• The_Philster
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr Phil
            Funny, people said those same things when Jackie Robinson joined MLB

Originally posted by Dr Phil

So, if the Bills draft a 6-11, 300 lb DT who can run as fast as Travis Henry, averages 15 sacks a season for 10 years, Is willing to take paycuts for the team to retain/obtain more superstar talent, gives back to the community, stops to sign every kid's autograph......but was gay, you would give up football.

Sounds shallow to me....

Good posts
            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
              • Jul 2002

There is no need for gays to come out of the closet and flaunt it. Keep it in the bedroom!

Comment

• Don Cherry
                BFZ Hockey Commissioner
                • Oct 2002

There is a diffeence between openly gay and flaunting it.

Anyone, straight or gay, who goes around "flaunting" their sexuality shows lack of respect for others. Guys grabbing cheerleader's asses show just as much disrespect as two gay guys kissing each other in public for the shock value.

But if an athlete is gay and refuses to "hide" it to appease the homophobes, he shouldn't be ostracized, banned, or shunned. If he's there to do his job and then goes home, why should it make any difference?

I want the best athletes on the field that will win me a championship. I'd be extreamly dissapointed, no, make that pissed off if I have to wait 30 more years for the shot at winning a Superbowl or Stanley Cup just because management decided not to get that one gay guy who would put the team over the top.

If you could get the next Wayne Gretzky on the Sabres, but found out he was gay, would you pass and say no thanks? If you did you'd be an idiot.

Not all female athletes are gay, but some are. They don't flaunt it in front of their team mates. It seems that there aren't any issues in women's sports with gay players trying to recruit "straight" ones.
                Last edited by Don Cherry; 12-10-2002, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• Don Cherry
                  BFZ Hockey Commissioner
                  • Oct 2002

Can you imagin if Mario Lemieux was gay, and if Pittsburgh decided not to draft him?

There would not be a team there anymore.

Comment

• gunzlingr
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Don Cherry

Not all female athletes are gay, but some are. They don't flaunt it in front of their team mates. It seems that there aren't any issues in women's sports with gay players trying to recruit "straight" ones.
                    You are forgetting 1 thing. Guys LIKE lesbians!
                    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Sabre Ally
                      • Jul 2002

O.K.........I'm glad I didn't win the division in FFL #2, because Hearst just earned himself a permanent spot on my bench.

Dr. Phil and Grapes, good posts.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Jul 2002

I thought Wayne Gretzky was gay?

He sure looks it.

Comment

• Sabre Ally
                          • Jul 2002

You mean his sexy wife is just a decoy?

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Jul 2002

Of course. Don't you get it?

Comment

• Sabre Ally
                              • Jul 2002

Don't let Jaded come in here or she'll start telling he how gay Steve Yzerman looks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X