PDA

View Full Version : Time for pro sports to come out -- against homophobia

Cntrygal
12-09-2002, 10:14 AM
The anti-gay comments made by 49ers running back Garrison Hearst were shocking. An athlete on a San Francisco team disparaging gays is about as smart as a Utah Jazz player deriding Mormons.

Yet, homophobia is so pervasive in the sports world that Hearst was seemingly oblivious at first to the fact that he might have said something offensive. Unfortunately, the sentiments he expressed are shared by many in the professional game, and these prejudices filter down to locker rooms at the most grassroots level of team sports across the nation.

More... (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/12/09/ED179588.DTL)

Pride
12-09-2002, 01:49 PM
The day that an openly gay man is allowed on a football team, and using the same lockeroom, is the day that I stop watching and supporting the NFL.

Like Augusta, some things are sacred.

redeye5
12-09-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Pride
The day that an openly gay man is allowed on a football team, and using the same lockeroom, is the day that I stop watching and supporting the NFL.

http://www.cultureqconnection.com/images/naked%20football.jpg

Dr Phil
12-09-2002, 02:39 PM

Like Augusta, some things are sacred. Funny, people said those same things when Jackie Robinson joined MLB

Dr Phil
12-09-2002, 02:42 PM

So, if the Bills draft a 6-11, 300 lb DT who can run as fast as Travis Henry, averages 15 sacks a season for 10 years, Is willing to take paycuts for the team to retain/obtain more superstar talent, gives back to the community, stops to sign every kid's autograph......but was gay, you would give up football.

Sounds shallow to me....

The_Philster
12-09-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Dr Phil
Funny, people said those same things when Jackie Robinson joined MLB

Originally posted by Dr Phil

So, if the Bills draft a 6-11, 300 lb DT who can run as fast as Travis Henry, averages 15 sacks a season for 10 years, Is willing to take paycuts for the team to retain/obtain more superstar talent, gives back to the community, stops to sign every kid's autograph......but was gay, you would give up football.

Sounds shallow to me....

Good posts :up:

Novacane
12-09-2002, 11:41 PM
There is no need for gays to come out of the closet and flaunt it. Keep it in the bedroom!

Don Cherry
12-10-2002, 01:28 AM
There is a diffeence between openly gay and flaunting it.

Anyone, straight or gay, who goes around "flaunting" their sexuality shows lack of respect for others. Guys grabbing cheerleader's asses show just as much disrespect as two gay guys kissing each other in public for the shock value.

But if an athlete is gay and refuses to "hide" it to appease the homophobes, he shouldn't be ostracized, banned, or shunned. If he's there to do his job and then goes home, why should it make any difference?

I want the best athletes on the field that will win me a championship. I'd be extreamly dissapointed, no, make that pissed off if I have to wait 30 more years for the shot at winning a Superbowl or Stanley Cup just because management decided not to get that one gay guy who would put the team over the top.

If you could get the next Wayne Gretzky on the Sabres, but found out he was gay, would you pass and say no thanks? If you did you'd be an idiot.

Not all female athletes are gay, but some are. They don't flaunt it in front of their team mates. It seems that there aren't any issues in women's sports with gay players trying to recruit "straight" ones.

Don Cherry
12-10-2002, 01:29 AM
Can you imagin if Mario Lemieux was gay, and if Pittsburgh decided not to draft him?

There would not be a team there anymore.

Gunzlingr
12-10-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Don Cherry

Not all female athletes are gay, but some are. They don't flaunt it in front of their team mates. It seems that there aren't any issues in women's sports with gay players trying to recruit "straight" ones.

You are forgetting 1 thing. Guys LIKE lesbians! :hump:

Sabre Ally
12-10-2002, 01:40 PM
O.K.........I'm glad I didn't win the division in FFL #2, because Hearst just earned himself a permanent spot on my bench.

Dr. Phil and Grapes, good posts.

Earthquake Enyart
12-10-2002, 01:46 PM
I thought Wayne Gretzky was gay?

He sure looks it.

Sabre Ally
12-10-2002, 01:51 PM
You mean his sexy wife is just a decoy? :eek:

Earthquake Enyart
12-10-2002, 01:54 PM
Of course. Don't you get it?

Sabre Ally
12-10-2002, 01:57 PM
Don't let Jaded come in here or she'll start telling he how gay Steve Yzerman looks again. :chuckle:

wharfrat
12-10-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Of course. Don't you get it?

Just like Jeff Gordon... she was a "front", that's why she left him and took all his $$....:cry:

Sabre Ally
12-10-2002, 02:21 PM
Well, as far as I'm concerned, Jeff Gordon can go join Tom Brady in the other thread.......I don't like either one of them. LOL

wharfrat
12-10-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Sabre Ally
Well, as far as I'm concerned, Jeff Gordon can go join Tom Brady in the other thread.......I don't like either one of them. LOL

I can't stand them either... maybe since they've both been dumped...... :makeout: ... they can hook up!! :laughter:

Patrick76777
12-10-2002, 03:00 PM
Doesn’t matter to me. Them Queers can do what ever they want. Just so long they stay away from me.

I don’t usually like to tell people when I’m joking, but lately when I say something like this people jump all over me. I just don’t see how people can’t tell that I’m joking when I make such absurd remarks such as this. Anyway, it’s a joke.

Earthquake Enyart
12-10-2002, 03:07 PM
If any of you homos touch any of my stuff.........I'll kill you.

Sabre Ally
12-10-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
I don’t usually like to tell people when I’m joking, but lately when I say something like this people jump all over me. I just don’t see how people can’t tell that I’m joking when I make such absurd remarks such as this. Anyway, it’s a joke.

I know which post you're talking about. That was hilarious. :fiedler:

MissBuffalo
12-10-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Phil
Funny, people said those same things when Jackie Robinson joined MLB

:clap: Very well said Dr. Thank you! :)

Mr.Reality
12-16-2002, 12:51 AM
Shouldn't the league do something about the homos (see Warfart), and and worry about the homophobes later?

SoFL-Cheesehead
12-16-2002, 05:55 AM
No matter what, it will make the showers very interesting!!

Pride
12-16-2002, 07:47 AM
That is my point... The showering.

It would be like allowing a woman football player (they are sometimes kickers) to change in the same room.

Granted, the guys would approve, but the woman wouldn't.

I do not have an issue with a mans sexual preference in the bedroom, but when it comes to showering with them, and the other stuff that goes on in a lockeroom, I would feel VERY uncomfortable.

That is my opinion, not saying it is right, but it is mine.

Novacane
12-17-2002, 02:26 PM
What if the center comes out of the closet and admits he is gay? Would you want to be the QB putting your hands on his nuts every play?

Novacane
12-17-2002, 02:27 PM
Or if the QB admits he was gay? The only way you'd find a center for your team is if every play was shot gun!

LtBillsFan66
12-17-2002, 02:35 PM
I don't want sports to come out against anything. Any phobia or anything. I just want them to play ball.

The_Philster
12-17-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
Or if the QB admits he was gay? The only way you'd find a center for your team is if every play was shot gun!

Remember the rumors circulating about Kordell Stewart a few years ago? People used to joke how Dermonti Dawson breathed a big sigh of relief whenever they went into shotgun

Dr Phil
12-17-2002, 06:46 PM

That is my point... The showering.

It would be like allowing a woman football player (they are sometimes kickers) to change in the same room.

Granted, the guys would approve, but the woman wouldn't.

I do not have an issue with a mans sexual preference in the bedroom, but when it comes to showering with them, and the other stuff that goes on in a lockeroom, I would feel VERY uncomfortable.

That is my opinion, not saying it is right, but it is mine.

Interesting backpeddling there, Pride. You start off with a threat of boycotting football if an openly gay person plays in the NFL to worrying about the showers.

1) You are not taking showers with NFL players, so it's not your problem to worry about. I'll bet you that most players who get in the NFL would welcome ANY player that would help them win a championship- weather they be girls, gays, blacks, Muslims, Chineese.....

2) Your remarks insinuate that a gay man taking a shower in this situation is going to try to pull funny stuff. Again, I'll bet that a gay guy's only intentions in a shower is to get clean and to get the hell out of there.

3) I'll bet that if you ever took a public shower, whether in High School, College, with team mates, at the local gym- that you have already taken one with a homosexual in the room. The fact that nothing happened, and that you lived to tell about it, proves that your phobia is groundless.

4) If it's the idea that a gay man is going to see you and have unpleasant thoughts, and that's what bothers you, then you are one of the biggest hypocrates on the planet. Don't tell me that you never have seen a hot chick with a big rack in a short skirt or bikini and haven't had the though [i]"Hmmm... I wonder what she'd look like naked/in the sack/making me breakfast.."

It's OK for you to oggle complete strangers from a distance but when the shoe is on the other foot it feels awful uncomfortable...:huh:

Mr.Reality
12-18-2002, 01:00 AM
What if both the QB and the center were gay? They'd be doing 10 and 12 hard counts on every play.

PA Season Ticket Holder
12-18-2002, 11:50 PM
Whatever players are buttmunchers need to keep it to themself. That isn't something that people need to be bragging about.

What are they supposed to do promote gay players? Maybe they can make some vasaline commercials for some extra cash. I can picture Ricky Willimas in his teal outfit promoting it now saying something like this "When I'm not on the field banging helmets, I'm banging asses. I find Vasaline as the way to help you score"

I mean common, the world doesn't need to start promoting these people and making it look like everything is alright to shut up some gay activist groups(Or otherwise as GAG". It's not alright and it shouldn't be treated as it is. That's their preference but they need to keep it too themselves.

Let all the PC people rip this apart but that is not the stuff to be flaunting around. Dr. Phil must be a proctoligst from the way he defends them people.

Dolphinatic
12-19-2002, 09:15 PM
I think the Raiders would be either the first or last team to have an openly gay player, and I honestly can't decide which it would be.

I'm not taking a shot at the Raiders, by the way. I'm serious.

The first guy to come out before he retires instead of after will have a lot of guts. But the sky won't fall, the league won't disintegrate, and people will just get over it and forget about it.

Mr Angry
12-22-2002, 05:21 AM
There is no need for gays to come out of the closet and flaunt it. Keep it in the bedroom!

Thank you. That's exactly it... correct.

If for no other reason, then for the reason that the for Packer whose name I couldn't spell if my life depended on it... Euora Tuaelo, or whatever, gave when he came out of the closet a few months back. He was afraid that he'd be purposely injured, perhaps by his own team mates.

I'm an admitted homophobe, always will be. :pee: I sure wouldn't want to share a locker room with a with an openly gay (read: flaming) team mate. ...and sure as hell wouldn't want to know about it.

...it defies the laws of nature - and nothing anyone is going to say, is going to change my mind. If those NEEDING to come out of the closet, do come out of the closet, well then they've made a decision to become a gay rights advocate by trade versus an NFL player...they've made their choice, but they will get hurt.

Hell, do I go around proclaiming that I'm a Lesbian? I am you know...I simply love women. There, I'm out of the closet. :rolleyes:

Jim Kelly12
12-22-2002, 09:34 AM
When Esera was with the Bills, a few of us thought it might be the case but it wasn't in his actions or anything. It's ridiculous how people can attack people based on race, creed, or sexual orientation.