PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of these guys?

Romes
03-30-2005, 01:09 AM
TE Joe Donnelly (Atlanta) and QB Tory Woodbury. (NY Jets)

It is on page 6 of the most recent Bills Digest. Any potential for one of these guys not to be camp fodder?

Also, I was not aware of this but the Bills also re-signed Drew Haddad.

clumping platelets
03-30-2005, 01:29 AM
All of them were re-signed in january per NFLPA website

LifetimeBillsFan
03-30-2005, 02:57 AM
It's doubtful that either will make the team.

Woodbury was a QB in college, played some WR in the arena league, and played some special teams for the NY Jets. He has more catches (2) than pass attempts in the NFL. Apparently, he is a versatile athlete of the type that Mularkey likes, but whether he is good enough to carry on the squad is hard to say.

I couldn't find anything about Donnelly on the NFL site. He played a lot of special teams at Syracuse, but didn't appear to be anything special as a TE. He doesn't appear to have been the regular starter until his senior year and he missed part of that season with an injury. Maybwe they like him as a blocker or special teams guy, but he sounds like camp fodder to me.

Jayhawk
03-30-2005, 06:55 AM
donelly is a decent prosepect if we can stash him in europe and on the practice squad for a year.

gimpy
03-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Woodbury was a QB in college, played some WR in the arena league, and played some special teams for the NY Jets. He has more catches (2) than pass attempts in the NFL. Apparently, he is a versatile athlete of the type that Mularkey likes, but whether he is good enough to carry on the squad is hard to say.

Slash..

jamze132
03-30-2005, 01:09 PM
I don't see the point in bringing in guys that we don't expect to make the team. What sense does it make? I would want to ring in guys that have a legitimate shot at making the team. Maybe be Mularkey and Donahoe think these two are capable, I don't know.

It's not like spring training where you bring in guys who you know are going back to the minors. Those guys are just there to get a look at by the brass. The NFL doesn't really have this luxury.

dannyek71
03-30-2005, 02:07 PM
No way Donnelly makes the team.....He was an average player for Syracuse...thats not saying much these days.....

thebuffalobills4
03-30-2005, 08:26 PM
:question:

LifetimeBillsFan
03-31-2005, 02:19 AM
Slash..
Precisely what I was thinking when I went back and looked up the guy's career.

As a senior in college, he finished 11th in the nation in passing efficiency with good rushing numbers in a run-oriented offense at Winston-Salem State (which I believe is a traditionally black college in D-1AA). He played WR in the arena league and caught a couple of passes for the Jets. And, he has played special teams, where he has racked up a number of tackles--which means that he was good enough to keep on the active roster. Yet, he wasn't good enough as a QB to beat out B.Bollinger for the #3 QB job on the Jets last season--which says a lot to me because Bollinger stinks.

I think the Bills are bringing him in to be a special teams guy with the hope that he can fill the Slash role better than Freddie Smith or anyone they might be able to get out of this year's draft. Woodbury is significantly bigger than Smith and they may not want to spend a draft pick on a Slash-type player this year or think that they can get a better one as a UFA in a pretty weak draft class. At least this guy has shown that he can contribute on the NFL level already.

Jayhawk
03-31-2005, 06:55 AM
and a third team qb.

Cntrygal
03-31-2005, 07:10 AM
Slash..

My very first thought when I seen the post.

Cntrygal
03-31-2005, 07:11 AM
Precisely what I was thinking when I went back and looked up the guy's career.

As a senior in college, he finished 11th in the nation in passing efficiency with good rushing numbers in a run-oriented offense at Winston-Salem State (which I believe is a traditionally black college in D-1AA). He played WR in the arena league and caught a couple of passes for the Jets. And, he has played special teams, where he has racked up a number of tackles--which means that he was good enough to keep on the active roster. Yet, he wasn't good enough as a QB to beat out B.Bollinger for the #3 QB job on the Jets last season--which says a lot to me because Bollinger stinks.

I think the Bills are bringing him in to be a special teams guy with the hope that he can fill the Slash role better than Freddie Smith or anyone they might be able to get out of this year's draft. Woodbury is significantly bigger than Smith and they may not want to spend a draft pick on a Slash-type player this year or think that they can get a better one as a UFA in a pretty weak draft class. At least this guy has shown that he can contribute on the NFL level already.

I should have read further.....

gimpy
03-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Woodbury is significantly bigger than Smith and they may not want to spend a draft pick on a Slash-type player this year or think that they can get a better one as a UFA in a pretty weak draft class. At least this guy has shown that he can contribute on the NFL level already.
any idea where to find Woodbury's 40 time?? I like Freddie but "Fast Freddie" is false advertising.. :tip: