X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

article on bannan and peters playing OL

goes into some of the article.. but then refers you to bills digest.. anyone have it and care to post some info??
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Good find, you know your a desperate team when you are asking your DT to play OL.

Comment

• Romes
      • Jul 2002

On Bannan...
      "I think wherever he could play is what counts," said McNally. "The bottom line is he's not a starter on our defensive line. So we'll give him an opportunity on the offensive line. He can go back to defense in a heartbeat. We're just trying to prove that the athleticism that he has should upgrade us on the offensive line if he can come along fast enough to contribute."

Mularkey confirmed that the move for Bannan is not necessarily permanent, but stressed that the experiment with him at guard would likely run through training camp.

"It's a see-how-it-goes situation," said Mularkey. "He knows what defensive linemen like to do. Plus he's got the tough mindset an offensive lineman needs to have."
      On Peters...
      On the other hand, the move for Peters appears more set in stone. The coaching staff has moved him to left tackle where he too will receive heavy one-on-one instruction from McNally leading up to the regular season. "He is about as athletic as you can getfrom a pure physical standpoint at the position," said Mularkey. "He just needs to bring his technique and awareness up to that level.""Everything will take time, but he cer-tainly has athletic ability and is a good raw prospect to work with," said McNally. "There is definitely upside."
      "If the two of them pan out it wouldrepresent nice depth or perhaps something greater, I don't know," said Mularkey. "We'll see how far and how fast they can come along."
      Looks like they are both being switched over to the OL for depth.
      Originally posted by paladin warrior
      RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

We've been hearing how "raw" Jason Peters is forever. I'll give him another season to be "raw", then I'll start casting him as another all-potential-and-no-results RJ type.

Comment

• Romes
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
          We've been hearing how "raw" Jason Peters is forever. I'll give him another season to be "raw", then I'll start casting him as another all-potential-and-no-results RJ type.
          But unlike RJ he is not our starting QB nor is he taking up a lot of cap space. Every team needs those "potential" guys that can be diamonds in the rough.

Plus, how many LTs in the league have the athleticism to block a punt? Not many I'd guess. I look forward to see how this experiment works out.
          Originally posted by paladin warrior
          RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

True.

And thanks for posting the excerpts Romes.

Comment

• TedMock
              • Jul 2002

He was an undrafted rookie last year who wasn't called to duty until November. Now he's moving to a new position. We have to give him more than one season before we declare him and RJ-esque bust. It usurally takes high-round, pure, O-lineman a good two seasons to come into their own. Hopefully McNally really is a miracle worker. Keep your fingers crossed.

Comment

• Buckets
                • Jun 2003

You didn't actually say forever did you? It usually takes 2 -3 years for someone drafted for the O line to produce. Now you want him to make the switch in the preseason.

Comment

• jamze132
                  • Jun 2003

I really think that Peters can be a very good LT. The guy has speed. He will probably be the fastest lineman in the NFL. Historically speaking, most guys who are fast are very athletically inclined and can adapt to pretty much about anything, given their size.

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TedMock
                    He was an undrafted rookie last year who wasn't called to duty until November. Now he's moving to a new position. We have to give him more than one season before we declare him and RJ-esque bust. It usurally takes high-round, pure, O-lineman a good two seasons to come into their own. Hopefully McNally really is a miracle worker. Keep your fingers crossed.
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jamze132
                      Historically speaking, most guys who are fast are very athletically inclined and can adapt to pretty much about anything, given their size.
                      um.. what are you basing that statement on? anything tangible? just curious.

Comment

• jamze132
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
                        um.. what are you basing that statement on? anything tangible? just curious.
                        Just from what I've seen with my eyes.

Can you tell me one "athlete" who has better than average speed and is athleticaly challenged? I tried to think of all of the major sports and I couldn't find one person. Baseball is a great example. Most guys who can steal the bases are naturally gifted athletically. Might not be the bets hitters but they are generally good athletes.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

I think Bannan and Peters can give us some depth now, and could develop into good O linemen in the future.

We still desperately need a starting LT and an upgrade at LG NOW, however.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• RedEyE
                            • Jul 2002

Peters at Left Tackle is a gamble. Let's hope his learning curve is as quick as his legs.

Comment

• colin
                              Drew's my hero!
                              • Jul 2002

i always liked him as a smash mouth tight end, but i think he doesn't have the tools to be a good TE, so we are trying to get something out of him.

bannan might just not be as good as the other DTs we have, so we are just using him for something. good idea to salvage draft picks.

Comment

Working...
                              X