X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thebuffalobills4
    • Aug 2004

justin bannan moved to guard

check it out on the front pg on bb.com.hope he's good.
    :oldskool:
    micheal phelps is a beast
  • Carlton Bailey

This better not be their solution to our problems on the line.

Comment

• thebuffalobills4
      • Aug 2004

lets hope not
      :oldskool:
      micheal phelps is a beast

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Carlton Bailey
        This better not be their solution to our problems on the line.
        What if he and/or Peters turn out to be pretty good offensive linemen? I'm not saying that they will be, but how do you know, at this point, that either one of them won't? If either one turns out to be a better than average starter on the offensive line, would you prefer that the Bills pay more for someone else instead?

I happen to think that Coach McNally is a pretty good offensive line coach and I think that he has demonstrated that during his career. If he thinks that Bannan and Peters have what it takes to play on the offensive line, why not give them a chance to show what they can do? While Bannan hasn't shown the kind of aggressiveness that is necessary to be successful as a defensive lineman, that kind of aggressiveness is not what is necessary to be a good offensive lineman and he does have the size and strength that you would want to see in an offensive lineman. So, who knows, maybe Coach McNally feels that he can turn him into a better offensive lineman than some of the free agent O-linemen that are out there now. Why not wait and see what he is able to do with Bannan and Peters? Maybe, just maybe, one or both of them could turn out to be at least part of the solution to the Bills' offensive line needs.

I don't know if they will or won't, but I can't figure out why you (and so many others) are so absolutely convinced that they won't be--without ever having seen them practice or play yet.
        Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• gr8slayer
          • Feb 2005

I dont know about this, I went back and watched a few plays during the season where Bannan was playing guard. Let me tell you, it was ugly.

Comment

• mysticsoto
            Too sober for this...
            • Apr 2004

As LifeTimeBillsFan says, McNally is a great coach and personally, I'm willing to trust his opinion if he sees something in Bannan and Peters that he thinks is right for the O-line. I thought the O-line improved alot throughout the season last year - and I give credit to McNally for that accomplishment. I believe even JJ referenced McNally in saying that his play had improved b'cse of him.

During camp, McNally can decide who's grasping what fundamentals better and who's ready to play/start or not.

It really surprises me the close-mindedness around here. When Pat Williams started, he wasn't great! He worked at it and became great. But with people's attitudes around here - unless you are great already, you deserve no chance to try and develop...

Comment

• chubluv
              BillsZone bowling team MVP
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by gr8slayer
              I dont know about this, I went back and watched a few plays during the season where Bannan was playing guard. Let me tell you, it was ugly.
              Yes it was, but its something that can be worked on. Who knows what can happen over time with all the practice that they can do. I dont think that thats an imediate answer to our needs on the O-line.

We are in 5th place
              Clump is on the IR
              Chubluv average is 167
              Yaz average is 179[/B]

BDZ
              Become a member of BDZ !!!!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by chubluv
                I dont think that thats an imediate answer to our needs on the O-line.
                If it is then were in some serious trouble.

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
                  WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
                  • Mar 2003

Nobody is saying that Bannan can't develop into a quality Olineman.

We are worried though, that shifting a DT to OL is the solution being pushed for this season.

Like the Bills aren't concerned about the Oline because they have him, Peters and McNally to mold them both.

McNally is going to do his best with whatever he is given. He's a company man, that's not going to publicly say it's not what he prefers.
                  Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger

We are worried though, that shifting a DT to OL is the solution being pushed for this season.

Like the Bills aren't concerned about the Oline because they have him, Peters and McNally to mold them both.

McNally is going to do his best with whatever he is given. He's a company man, that's not going to publicly say it's not what he prefers.
                    We just need Shelton the those guys can fight it out for the OG spot. Having played both Tackle and OG in college I can tell you that OG is much easier to learn.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                      Too sober for this...
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger

Actually, McNally wasn't given Bannan to develop and be the answer to any O-line problem...McNally requested Bannan all the way from last year after seeing him in practice. McNally felt Bannan had what it took to be a good lineman!

I feel it's the other way around. McNally is telling TD I can use and make something out of Bannan so don't worry about the guard position. All we have to worry about is OT. And if TT moves to LT, then all we have to worry about is Center, and the draft is deep with decent Centers this year. If we get Shelton, then we don't have to worry about anything, as JJs' position is filled and we have mostly the same line intact as we did last year - although newcomers like Peters, Bannan, Gandy, etc are welcome to fight for the position.

On the whole, it looks like we have a huge O-line gap, but on closer inspection, it's not as big as we think and that's why I don't think TD is worried much. We'll probably get a Center regardless of whether TT moves to Tackle or not - and then, once we finish the draft, it's a question of which of what's left are the best to keep at backups and which don't make the team.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                        short bus extraordinaire
                        • Jul 2002

i hope he can do better on the offense than he did on defense.
                        Originally posted by yordad
                        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

It is one thing to have possible solutions to the offensive line situation. It is quite another to have something rock solid in place. I would much prefer something more solid. If we don't get it, I guess we just have to live with being unsettled until or unless some of these possibilities pan out. Bannan is pretty athletic for a guard, but at this point he is no more than a possibility.
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• jamze132
                            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto

All we have to worry about is OT. And if TT moves to LT, then all we have to worry about is Center, and the draft is deep with decent Centers this year.
                            Sounds like you love Trey Teague?

Comment

• capitolneal
                              • Sep 2003

Does anyone know who successfully did this in their pto career? (switched from defense to offense)?

Comment

Working...
                              X