• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Rating the departed

Bills DT Pat Williams to the Vikings

Williams is a wide body in the middle who will be missed by the Bills. He was stout against the run, which is tough to replace. The Bills don't have a player ready to step in with his ability to do that job. Ron Edwards will get first crack, but second-year player Tim Anderson, who was disappointing as a rookie, could be the player who could eventually take over as the starter. Neither Edwards nor Anderson have the bulk of Williams.

Rate the replacement: Williams will be missed. But you can develop tackles. Anderson might be ready to make that move.

Bills LT Jonas Jennings to the 49ers

The 49ers were desperate for a left tackle, so they overpaid for Jennings in a big way. Jennings is a good player, but he's by no means a premier left tackle. In fact, some still think he's a better guard. That said, it's a big hit for the Bills, who do not have a quality backup ready to step in. They are trying to make a deal to get L.J. Shelton from the Cardinals, but that hasn't happened yet. There's also talk of moving Trey Teague from center to tackle. If they get Shelton, Jennings won't be missed. They're on the same level. If they move Teague out, they could have some trouble inside.

Rate the replacement: They'll be fine. This isn't Walter Jones we're talking about.

Hmm, he's saying shelton is as good as jennings and that it wasn't a big loss. Seems like TD wins out in this whole deal if we manage to land Shelton.
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Johnny Utah
    Bills DT Pat Williams to the Vikings

Williams is a wide body in the middle who will be missed by the Bills. He was stout against the run, which is tough to replace. The Bills don't have a player ready to step in with his ability to do that job. Ron Edwards will get first crack, but second-year player Tim Anderson, who was disappointing as a rookie, could be the player who could eventually take over as the starter. Neither Edwards nor Anderson have the bulk of Williams.

Rate the replacement: Williams will be missed. But you can develop tackles. Anderson might be ready to make that move.

Bills LT Jonas Jennings to the 49ers

The 49ers were desperate for a left tackle, so they overpaid for Jennings in a big way. Jennings is a good player, but he's by no means a premier left tackle. In fact, some still think he's a better guard. That said, it's a big hit for the Bills, who do not have a quality backup ready to step in. They are trying to make a deal to get L.J. Shelton from the Cardinals, but that hasn't happened yet. There's also talk of moving Trey Teague from center to tackle. If they get Shelton, Jennings won't be missed. They're on the same level. If they move Teague out, they could have some trouble inside.

Rate the replacement: They'll be fine. This isn't Walter Jones we're talking about.

Hmm, he's saying shelton is as good as jennings and that it wasn't a big loss. Seems like TD wins out in this whole deal if we manage to land Shelton.
    Water under the bridge!
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

I think we will be ok even with Williams gone, we have Bannan, Edwards, Sape, and Anderson. One of those four will emerge as the number one guy and steal the spot.

The LT is the only position that I am really worried about right now. If this Henry for Shelton deal doesnt go through then we are in some major trouble.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
        Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Johnny Utah
        He was stout against the run
        And against about 5lb's of hot dogs.

Comment

• ScottLawrence
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by gr8slayer
          I think we will be ok even with Williams gone, we have Bannan, Edwards, Sape, and Anderson. One of those four will emerge as the number one guy and steal the spot.

The LT is the only position that I am really worried about right now. If this Henry for Shelton deal doesnt go through then we are in some major trouble.

Its obvious we need more depth at the DT position with Bannon moving to OG now.

I think we should go after Chris Hovan. I realize he has really fallen off, but he was a monster not too long ago.

Im not really worried about the LT position....Either way I think we get Shelton.

If the Henry trade doesn't go through, the Cardinals will eventually release him sometime after the draft, we could probably still pick him up then.
          You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ScottLawrence
            Its obvious we need more depth at the DT position with Bannon moving to OG now.

I think we should go after Chris Hovan. I realize he has really fallen off, but he was a monster not too long ago.

Im not really worried about the LT position....Either way I think we get Shelton.

If the Henry trade doesn't go through, the Cardinals will eventually release him sometime after the draft, we could probably still pick him up then.
            Well if you read the article about Bannan again you'll see that it doesnt really say that him playing guard is a done deal.

Im pretty much sold on Edwards starting BTW, and why one Earth do we need more depth when we drafted a DT (Anderson) last season. Apparently the coaches are big on Sape too so hopefully we wont have to waste a draft pick or more cap room on defense period.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
              • Feb 2005

I refuse to take a guy named Clark Judge seriously.

Heck he said Edwards doesn't have the bulk of Williams? He weights more then Williams. He also had more sacks and almost half as many tackles as a backup.

Also Tim Anderson was disappointing? He was playing behind Sam Adams, Pat Williams and Ron Edwards who didn't miss a game. He also only got 3 games in.

I've seen this guys reporting before and its been terrible. He also reported that the Bills/Cards talks were dead the day before everyone and there mother reported they were talking again.
              Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• ryjam282
                Offical Billszone Starting QB
                • Mar 2003

I would like to see Edwards get his shot and see what he can do.

Ryan Withey
                Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Sportsuser101

Also Tim Anderson was disappointing? He was playing behind Sam Adams, Pat Williams and Ron Edwards who didn't miss a game. He also only got 3 games in.
                  I was going to say the same thing. It's tough to call him a disappointment when he's playing behind two Pro Bowlers who didn't get injured all year. I'm not sold on Anderson as a replacement for Williams yet, but I'm at least willing to give him some playing time before labeling him a disappointment.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

fyi, no way in hell edwards is heavier than pat williams.. not that he is better or worse for it.. but he is clearly lighter and just like sam adams bio.. pats listed weight has not been anything near his playing weight for years.
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

i will say this also.. i really think edwards will do extremely well.. think about his situation.. he comes in as a back up after being a 3rd round pick (or was he a 4th rounder?).. he plays decent as a back up.. then gets his dream.. a starting gig.. and after one year as the starter.. they replace him with sam adams.. now edwards has been stewing and thinking about that for 2 years.. that maybe he had his last chance to start... he is thinking maybe he blew it... maybe he is a lifelong back up.. then this happens.. williams is gone.. the job is edwards to lose again.. he spent 2 years behind 2 studs that he couldnt help but learn from.. and a young guy (anderson) pushing him..

and.. he is in a contract year, correct?

i think edwards plays great.. hopefully he doesnt bolt after the season.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                      X