PDA

View Full Version : Is TD trying to go cheap on the O-Line again?

OpIv37
03-31-2005, 09:10 AM
Both Peters and Bannan are talented football players and showed some promise with the limited O-line play they had last year. But are they ready for full-time O-line duty? McNally has been known to make something out of nothing, but I'd rather see him make great O-linemen out of average ones than make average O-lineman out of other football players.

On top of that, our TE situation is still shaky because we don't know how well Campbell and Euhus can recover from their injuries. I don't know why they're committing Peters to the O-line when we still need help at the position he knows. This has a Mularkey gadget-play written all over it (remember when Mitch Frerotte used to catch touchdown passes on the tackle eligible plays?)

R. Rich
03-31-2005, 09:21 AM
Hold that thought until after the draft, the June cap cuts, and the start of training camp.

OpIv37
03-31-2005, 09:23 AM
will anyone decent/affordable come out of the June cuts? Also, I don't put much stock in the draft because it's always a gamble, and I don't think we can get someone who can immediately contribute at LT from the draft.

R. Rich
03-31-2005, 09:33 AM
Too early to tell what will be available after the cap cuts. The draft will probably have a lot to do with that, as will other teams' moves in free agency, injuries, retirements, etc. It's a bit too early to throw in the towel. That said, I'll be upset if we go into the preseason with no decent upgrade to the offensive line.

BuffaloRanger
03-31-2005, 10:55 AM
Kyle Turley and Jeff Faine should be 1 June cuts. How much they have left is debatable.

McBFLO
03-31-2005, 11:12 AM
Jeff Faine is going into his 3rd or 4th year. He should have a lot left. If he bulks up a little bit, with McNally's help he could dominate. Get him in here!

Italian Stallion
03-31-2005, 11:20 AM
I like the move of Bannan to oline....he looks like he could be a capable guard someday. Compact frame, with short but very big arms and upper body....McNally with some extreme pass block teaching, could turn him into starting material

Peters I wish they'd leave at Tight End....he CAN catch and run fairly fast as well...Blocking, believe it or not, was his problem coming out of school, and still is...

Bert102176
03-31-2005, 12:05 PM
I like the moves if nothing else it gets them reps at the positions for the depth and ya never know one or both could become probowl caliber players at the new positions on the OL and right now I think were close to being desperate, but incase they need to be called on in an emergancy we have them.

venis2k1
03-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Jeff Faine is going into his 3rd or 4th year. He should have a lot left. If he bulks up a little bit, with McNally's help he could dominate. Get him in here!

picked 2 spots before willis magahee, last first round center i can remember in a while. why is faine getting cut? first ive heard of it.

TedMock
03-31-2005, 01:45 PM
picked 2 spots before willis magahee, last first round center i can remember in a while. why is faine getting cut? first ive heard of it.

He was placed on IR at the end of the season due to an ankle injury. I don't think it was career threatening though. Supposedly the back up center (Fowler?) played better than Faine. They soured on him pretty quickly if that's all it was. He was only a 2nd year guy. Something doesn't seem right.

Michael82
03-31-2005, 08:58 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3145

BUMP for OpIv! :up:

BuffaloRanger
04-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Maybe he won't be cut after all (http://www.starbeacon.com/index.asp?MC=SPORTS&NID=3&AID=7787)

NEW TUNE — General manager Phil Savage has toned down his comments that seemed to imply that he was seeking a replacement for starting center Jeff Faine. Savage has talked more than once about strengthening the Browns’ guard-center-guard combination.

“Some people took it and ran that Jeff Faine is in the doghouse with the Browns,” Savage said. “I saw Jeff in the weight room this morning and said, ‘Whatever you read’s not true. What I said was we were going to try to help you by getting better people around you.’”

That mission was completed when Tampa Bay Buccaneers guard Cosey Coleman signed a two-year deal that could be worth up to $3 million. He joins New England Patriots guard Joe Andruzzi, who signed a four-year contract last week.

G. Host
04-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Both Peters and Bannan are talented football players and showed some promise with the limited O-line play they had last year. But are they ready for full-time O-line duty? McNally has been known to make something out of nothing, but I'd rather see him make great O-linemen out of average ones than make average O-lineman out of other football players.

Donahoe has not implied they will be full time starting players. Depth maybe and in case of an injury but not starting this year.