PDA

View Full Version : The best part about adding Anderson!!!

X-Era
04-01-2005, 05:53 AM
My version of the best part of this move is the immediate options it gives us in the draft which is linked to any potential Travis trade.

If you were to look at our biggest position needs prior to the Anderson signing you would most likely pick both LG and LT as needs.

The Bills were said to have wanted to swap spots with the Cards in the 2nd round as part of the Travis trade. If the Bills were able to do that they would have been banking on getting Shelton as our starting LT, and drafting our starting LG with the 44 pick. David Baas is the most likely target but he has made a push as of late to move into the 1st round.

Now, we have just signed our starting LG, so we can trade Travis for Shelton straight up and no longer need to move up to get a starting LG. That makes the Travis trade more likely, which means getting Shelton as our new starting LT more likely, and allows us to sit at 55 and takes the best available at need positions or even just best available overall. Point is we would have desperately needed to get a starting o-lineman early. Now we have set ourselves up to fill both (LG is filled, trade for Shelton much more likely).

I like the move alot.

This changes my direction for the draft. Assuming the Travis move goes through and we land Shelton, my current favorites for our 55 pick are:

Jerome Mathis- WR Hampton- fastest WR in the draft, good size, great hands, great YAC.
Mike Nugent- K Ohio State- Y'all no his story
Alex Smith- TE Stanford- Looks like a poor mans Winslow Jr. which may hurt him in the Bills minds as we may lean towards a blocker vs. a pass catcher.
Matt Jones- WR/TE/Jack of all trades- The phenom and "freak" of the draft. He is the X-factor, at 6-5 242 he is abit light for TE but runs faster than Mike Williams. He has the best hands of the WR's in the draft and is very very quick. I liek him alot due to potential, he is a gamble because of tweener size but does have a frame to add another 10-15 pounds of muscle.

If it were me, I would now draft Nugent and hope that Matt Jones drops to our spot in the 3rd. If not, I think I might take Matt Jones over Nugent or Alex Smith. Yes its a reach and gamble, but it could pay off huge for us with a Shockey type TE or a Terrel Owens type WR.

ryjam282
04-01-2005, 06:10 AM
I agree, this move was good. Now, if we land Shelton then I have no doubts that TD will go for Matt Jones. Imagine him in the slot with Evans and Moulds? I think he sheer size would be un-match-up-able :scratch:

Could be a very good move.

jpdex12
04-01-2005, 06:13 AM
My version of the best part of this move is the immediate options it gives us in the draft which is linked to any potential Travis trade.

If you were to look at our biggest position needs prior to the Anderson signing you would most likely pick both LG and LT as needs.

The Bills were said to have wanted to swap spots with the Cards in the 2nd round as part of the Travis trade. If the Bills were able to do that they would have been banking on getting Shelton as our starting LT, and drafting our starting LG with the 44 pick. David Baas is the most likely target but he has made a push as of late to move into the 1st round.

Now, we have just signed our starting LG, so we can trade Travis for Shelton straight up and no longer need to move up to get a starting LG. That makes the Travis trade more likely, which means getting Shelton as our new starting LT more likely, and allows us to sit at 55 and takes the best available at need positions or even just best available overall. Point is we would have desperately needed to get a starting o-lineman early. Now we have set ourselves up to fill both (LG is filled, trade for Shelton much more likely).

I like the move alot.

This changes my direction for the draft. Assuming the Travis move goes through and we land Shelton, my current favorites for our 55 pick are:

Jerome Mathis- WR Hampton- fastest WR in the draft, good size, great hands, great YAC.
Mike Nugent- K Ohio State- Y'all no his story
Alex Smith- TE Stanford- Looks like a poor mans Winslow Jr. which may hurt him in the Bills minds as we may lean towards a blocker vs. a pass catcher.
Matt Jones- WR/TE/Jack of all trades- The phenom and "freak" of the draft. He is the X-factor, at 6-5 242 he is abit light for TE but runs faster than Mike Williams. He has the best hands of the WR's in the draft and is very very quick. I liek him alot due to potential, he is a gamble because of tweener size but does have a frame to add another 10-15 pounds of muscle.

If it were me, I would now draft Nugent and hope that Matt Jones drops to our spot in the 3rd. If not, I think I might take Matt Jones over Nugent or Alex Smith. Yes its a reach and gamble, but it could pay off huge for us with a Shockey type TE or a Terrel Owens type WR.
Logical assessment of the o-line situation.

BuffaloRanger
04-01-2005, 08:19 AM
What about drafting Jones and hoping Nugent fall to us in the 3rd.

Even with Shelton and Anderson our line is merely average. TT is a FA, after this season so it'd be nice to draft the Center of the future.

Tatonka
04-01-2005, 08:34 AM
just a few notes about matt jones.. it is really crazy to say he has the best hands in the draft.. now dont get me wrong.. i like the kid alot.. and i know he only supposedly dropped one pass through practice or game at the senior bowl.. but come on.. he has always been a qb..

also, jones has stated himself that it is dumb to put him at TE.. he said that if he put on another 15-20 lbs to bulk up for TE, then he is not a 4.37 guy, he is a 4. 57 guy.. which takes away from his game..

he also has not ever been a blocker.. so that part of his game is totally raw.

now, all that being said.. i would like to see a guy like him on our team.. as a 3rd/4th wr..

he is 6'6" - taller than mike williams and all the other wrs..
he 242 lbs - bigger than all the other wrs..
he runs a 4.37 - faster than all the other wrs..
he had a better yards per carry and more yards than mike vick in college so he can run with the ball when he gets it.. YAC.

i mean if you look at the comparables.. he is basically a wr in the mould of david boston.. crazy but true.

mysticsoto
04-01-2005, 09:05 AM
just a few notes about matt jones.. it is really crazy to say he has the best hands in the draft.. now dont get me wrong.. i like the kid alot.. and i know he only supposedly dropped one pass through practice or game at the senior bowl.. but come on.. he has always been a qb..

also, jones has stated himself that it is dumb to put him at TE.. he said that if he put on another 15-20 lbs to bulk up for TE, then he is not a 4.37 guy, he is a 4. 57 guy.. which takes away from his game..

he also has not ever been a blocker.. so that part of his game is totally raw.

now, all that being said.. i would like to see a guy like him on our team.. as a 3rd/4th wr..

he is 6'6" - taller than mike williams and all the other wrs..
he 242 lbs - bigger than all the other wrs..
he runs a 4.37 - faster than all the other wrs..
he had a better yards per carry and more yards than mike vick in college so he can run with the ball when he gets it.. YAC.

i mean if you look at the comparables.. he is basically a wr in the mould of david boston.. crazy but true.

One question...why isn't he ranked higher then? Lack of experience???

Dicknoze69
04-01-2005, 09:07 AM
One question...why isn't he ranked higher then? Lack of experience???

Yes, he has very little experience playing WR, but he is a playmaker. I'm still not sold on him as our 2nd round pick.