PDA

View Full Version : Better go to work soon Bennie

ghz in pittsburgh
04-01-2005, 08:21 AM
I don't know all that much buzz about Bennie Anderson. Watched him a few times myself, I found myself agreeing with a lot of Raven fans that Anderson is a revolving door.

There is a reason that he has lasted this long in FA when there were a ton of guards signed before him. In fact Ravens themself needed a guard and they chose to sign Keydrick Vincent and made no attempt retaining Anderson.

From what I've seen, Anderson is a powerful dude who can move a pile - that certainly fits what Mularkey wants to do. But his pass protection leaves a lot to be desired. My general impression is that he's not good at movements, especially lateral movements. The Steelers had no problem getting linebackers shooting pass him.

I read some profile on him now that the Bills have signed him. Maybe Anderson's problem in pass protection lies in his weight. There are very, very few guys like Mike Williams who can move well at 350 lb. Anderson to me is at that weight range. Maybe he can lose some weight and become more mobile, like Keydrick who, despite his 6'6" frame, played at 320 lb.

Now speaking of nutritionist who can whip these guys into shape and in light of the recent revelation about steroids use in NFL and about Steelers in that regard, did Mularkey get rid of Rusty Jones so that he could bring someone who really knows how to bring the best physical ability out of players by "all means"? Don't shoot me for saying what's obvious within NFL.

Tatonka
04-01-2005, 08:26 AM
the stats show him giving up 4 sacks last season.. if he is a revolving door, then mike williams at 8.5 sacks given up last year is about 2x as bad at 9 mill this year.. but your ok with mike?

mcnally will improve his pass blocking.. but giving up 4 sacks over 16 games.. at roughly 60 offfensive snaps a game is not bad. 4 out of 960 snaps.. that is less than 1%.

and vincent is a good guard.. they got him for a good price.. just because they went that direction doesnt mean that anderson is garbage.

Michael82
04-01-2005, 08:33 AM
This is from Bennie directly and I LOVE to hear it....

"I will be here first thing Monday morning ready to work. Offseason's over. It's been a pretty long offseason, so it's time to go back to work."

buffmaniac
04-01-2005, 08:47 AM
This is from Bennie directly and I LOVE to hear it....

That says it all. I think this guy can be really good for us. The comments you here is great run blocker and poor pass blocker. Well McNally can coach this kid proper techniques and footwork to improve his pass blocking. What he can't coach is the ability to just maul someone in the run game.

Michael82
04-01-2005, 08:51 AM
That says it all. I think this guy can be really good for us. The comments you here is great run blocker and poor pass blocker. Well McNally can coach this kid proper techniques and footwork to improve his pass blocking. What he can't coach is the ability to just maul someone in the run game.
He sounds really excited to work with McNally too. :dance:

TedMock
04-01-2005, 09:01 AM
I live in Maryland and all my neighbors are Ravens fans. Every single one of them said that this guy is a nasty run-blocker. He needs technique work on his pass blocking, but he is by no means a poor pass blocker. He gets beat every now and then due to footwork. Coaching can fix that. Besides, he only gave up 4 sacks last season, it's not bad. His attitude and run-blocking is where his strengths lie. Most of our running went behind the right side last season, where CV was the better run blocker, so this gives us a good blocker on the left. CV and MW could open a hole, or at least allow Willis to bounce outside. Everytime we went left, he was hit by an inside bull rusher. I think this is a great signing. Now let's get this Shelton deal in place!

DMBcrew36
04-01-2005, 09:08 AM
This is from Bennie directly and I LOVE to hear it....and

"This is an awesome day," Anderson said. "To come to a franchise with so much tradition and such a great fan base, what more can you ask for?"
Anderson had been hoping to sign with the Bills since he visited with the team's coaching staff a few weeks ago. He left that meeting so impressed with Buffalo that he canceled trips to Carolina and Tampa Bay, two other teams interested in signing him.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/8345253

Hearing both of these things really shows how badly Anderson wants to be in Buffalo. After reading all of this, I think that if anyone will bring the best out of Anderson, it will be the coaches here in Buffalo.

justasportsfan
04-01-2005, 09:17 AM
He sounds really excited to work with McNally too. :dance:
Don't you have some homework to do like go to a ravens board and get some input from Ravens fans about Bennie? Slacker! :bikerbabe

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-01-2005, 09:20 AM
the stats show him giving up 4 sacks last season.. if he is a revolving door, then mike williams at 8.5 sacks given up last year is about 2x as bad at 9 mill this year...

Without taking side or say something negative about Bennie, but I think it is safe to say that a tackle will give up more sacks than a guard. Just my opinion.

ryjam282
04-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Only 4 sacks? I would hardly call that suspect pass blocking. If he is the mauler of a run blocker that he is supposed to be then I am PUMPED with the signing.

jdbillsfan
04-01-2005, 10:08 AM
It seems like when a player leaves your team, I find myself thinking that they weren't that great any way or remembering their flaws or whatever. It's hard to listen to Ravens fans about their thoughts on a player who isn't on their team anymore.

I think if 9ers fans asked Bills fans about Jennings, I don't think they would be that favorable. He's decent, gets hurt a lot, etc. To a 9ers fan now though, solid, good at pass and run blocking, potential probowler etc.

I like the signing, but I would still like to get Shelton and maybe someone in the 2nd round like Spencer, Bass, etc.

ScottLawrence
04-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Ravens fans were really glad to see him go.

He was known for his false starts in Baltimore, and was also known as the worst starting offensive linemen on the Ravens the past couple years.

There fans wanted him out.

Check out there reactions:

http://mb9.scout.com/fravensinsiderfrm1.showMessage?topicID=29345.topic

ghz in pittsburgh
04-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Stats say that he gave up 4 sacks only last year. But that's not nearly half the story (by the way I'm probably the anti-stats guy as there is). Kyle Boller is not a statue. When someone rushing into where he can see, he moves around and scrambles. Since he's not very good while being pressured, he 1) throws on the run and gets picked/incomplete a pass 2) runs around until someone gets him. Boller tends to run outside not forward, that means the sacks usually go to DEs.

Seriously I remember the Steelers intentionally going wide on the right side in pass rushes to draw the right tackle going wide; that created bigger gap for Anderson to cover, something he's not doing well. Most of Ravens' pass blocking help (that I saw) was going to Anderson's side.

The Ravens' did not go Vincent's route because he's cheaper, as it turned out to be. They never contacted Anderson period. And it's not like they have a pro-baller returning from injury to the same spot, like the Steelers do.

jdbillsfan
04-01-2005, 10:43 AM
4 False starts last year. Could be worse.

carybillsfan
04-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Hey GHZ! Who are the steelers gonna sign so they don't choke this year?
They won't make the playoffs this so I guess they won't have to worry about that.

justasportsfan
04-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Ravens fans were really glad to see him go.

He was known for his false starts in Baltimore, and was also known as the worst starting offensive linemen on the Ravens the past couple years.

There fans wanted him out.

Check out there reactions:

http://mb9.scout.com/fravensinsiderfrm1.showMessage?topicID=29345.topicI remember Mcnally turning Ziegler into the starting Center for the Giants that went to the sb. He's made Teague a better Center and Mike Williams a better player.Something that other OL coaches couldn't do. I trust he can do the same for Anderson. .

He's seen something in Anderson and I trust his decision.

Tatonka
04-01-2005, 11:15 AM
The Ravens' did not go Vincent's route because he's cheaper, as it turned out to be. They never contacted Anderson period. And it's not like they have a pro-baller returning from injury to the same spot, like the Steelers do.

that is incorrect.. they did talk with anderson before he became a free agent, per the ravens board.. but he wanted to test the FA market and they liked vincent more.. so they went after him as soon as FA started and got him fairly quickly.. if they didnt get him, they may have gone after anderson again.

Tatonka
04-01-2005, 11:16 AM
I remember Mcnally turning Ziegler into the starting Center for the Giants that went to the sb. He's made Teague a better Center and Mike Williams a better player.Something that other OL coaches couldn't do. I trust he can do the same for Anderson. .

He's seen something in Anderson and I trust his decision.

:up:

i agree completely.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-01-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm not a Steelers fan by any means. But living in a city where sports wise the Steelers are the only thing matter to most people and almost all of my friends are Steelers fan forces me to get Steelers information, like it or not. The most admiration of the Steelers organization to me is that for a small market city of Pittsburgh, they have a guaranteed sellout for as long as any living person can see regardless how the Steelers do on the field, something we really cannot say about the Bills.

I'm not against signing Anderson and I'm not saying Anderson cannot improve. I am, however, surprised at the price they pay for his service. We are not the Redskins so for TD to dole out $1.7 million per year for Anderson, you expect a quality starter. I just felt Anderson needs some work to be a quality starter and they already paid as such before he gets there. Maybe they feel the only flaw is his weight and they build some work out/weight bonuses into his contract.

For as great as McNally is, you need the other party (in this case Anderson) to coorporate to make it work. To me, that's not a guarantee, especially for someone known to have the self control problem of controlling his weight.

DeMulling, on the other hand, is a quality starter. He would need no further improvement and start for the Bills tomorrow. maybe that's why the Bills obviously made him as their first choice and pursued hard to the end before turning attention to Anderson. I did, however, hear some rumors in Pittsburgh radio that the Bills were trying to sign DeMulling as a center, something not as appealing to him as Detroit's plan.

I still believe the Bills will draft a guard/center type of prospect pretty high. Teague is entering his final year of the contract and we need some quality alternative should Anderson not pan out.

Carlton Bailey
04-01-2005, 11:45 AM
This is an awesome signing by TD. This guy is ridiculously underrated. I"m thrilled. I can't believe the guy was still available this late.

TedMock
04-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Bottom line is what of offense we're looking to run. DeMulling would've obviously been a better all-around choice, but Anderson is a better run-blocker. He does struggle in pass protection, hopefully it's more of a technique issue, and it can be corrected by a good coach. If we're looking to focus the offense around McGahee (which we should) then Anderson is a fantastic pickup. If we start putting a lot on Losman, maybe Anderson wasn't the right option. I'm inclined to believe that we're going to pound the ball first, pass second. Anderson gives us a line with two power blocking guards. That's why I believe this was a good signing.

AndreReed83
04-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Gosh, when was the last time we had a "nasty" player on the O-line? I can't wait to see what Bennie can do for us.

finsrclowns
04-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Let me see if I can think back in my memory banks......a big guard with the rep as being a mauler on the run game, somewhat suspect on the pass and takes the occassional dumb penalty....could Anderson be a much cheaper and potentially better version of Ruben?

Also I think you have to look at it also in comparison to who BA will be replacing. Tucker is an ok player, but could you ever think of calling him a mauler? No chance. Actually Tucker has a good chance of beating out Teague at center. Give McNally the next 5 months to work with Anderson- with the right coaching this guy could be a Pro Bowler. Shelton is another guy with huge potential. You can't coach size and strength and Anderson and Shelton have plenty of both. If McNally does his thing with both guys you have the makings of a first rate line.

cordog
04-01-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm not a Steelers fan by any means. But living in a city where sports wise the Steelers are the only thing matter to most people and almost all of my friends are Steelers fan forces me to get Steelers information, like it or not. The most admiration of the Steelers organization to me is that for a small market city of Pittsburgh, they have a guaranteed sellout for as long as any living person can see regardless how the Steelers do on the field, something we really cannot say about the Bills.

The Bills have had 15 of the last 16 games sell out. Not too bad. Plus Heinz only holds 55,000 and the Ralph holds close to 75,000. Plus the only team worth a crap in that town is the Pirates. All steeler fans have mullets, drink cheap beer and wear dirty starter jackets.

jamze132
04-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Would you say the saame thing of Lindel came out and made those comments?

TedMock
04-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Let me see if I can think back in my memory banks......a big guard with the rep as being a mauler on the run game, somewhat suspect on the pass and takes the occassional dumb penalty....could Anderson be a much cheaper and potentially better version of Ruben?

I was thinking the same exact thing!

ghz in pittsburgh
04-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Com'on now. For these 28 year old guys, how long would we need to wait to unlock their potentials? 99% of offensive linemen slow down on the wrong side of 30, meaning we are trying to get 2 to 3 years of their peak in Anderson (28), Shelton (29).

A more realistic look at these guys are that they are what they are, maybe some minor improvements. Shelton has been a career under achiever, he's likely to be an under achiever (still could be better than what we have). Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. Unless you are the Redskins, we don't pin our hopes on exceptions to the rule.

There are reasons guys like DeMulling are only signed for a couple of years. It's not about potential at this stage. It's about production.

Tatonka
04-01-2005, 01:54 PM
how is it that you are a starter on one of the better olines in the league for 4 years, help your rb gain over 2000 yards, and your not good?

Dicknoze69
04-01-2005, 02:06 PM
how is it that you are a starter on one of the better olines in the league for 4 years, help your rb gain over 2000 yards, and your not good?

Exactly. The guy may have some warts, but he isn't exactly garbage.

Michael82
04-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Don't you have some homework to do like go to a ravens board and get some input from Ravens fans about Bennie? Slacker! :bikerbabe
I already did. You don't want to know. :scared:

HurryUpTom
04-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Don't take my post the wrong way ... I like the signing and think we can use some good run blockers.

However, 4 sacks for a guard is a lot to give up. Think of it in the reverse ... 4 sacks for a DT is a very good amount. Regardless, I don't think that sacks are a good way to measure pass protection by the interior linemen ... normally when there is a push up the middle of the pocket, it forces the QB out wide and the DEs get the sacks.

ParanoidAndroid
04-01-2005, 10:57 PM
Yeah. I remember hearing how relieved some people were when Brown left for Chicago and how he was "Mr. False-start." I'm just gonna wait to see how Bennie does in a Bills uniform. That's all that matters.
The more bodies they bring in, the better. Get Shelton, draft Spencer and Pettiti and we will have ourselves a pretty solid line.