PDA

View Full Version : So what do you think about the line?

Tatonka
04-01-2005, 08:47 AM
i am making one assumption.. the shelton deal goes through.. i feel like even if it doesnt.. we will get a strong LT in the draft, like terry.. which i think will be about even w/ shelton anyways..

so fellow bills fans.. are you happy with this line going into the season?

Starters -

Shelton - Anderson - Teague - Villarial - Williams

Depth -

Tucker - Gandy - Peters - McFarland/Bannan/Draftee

clumping platelets
04-01-2005, 08:47 AM
pole or poll :huh:

Philagape
04-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Impossible to answer before the draft

Dicknoze69
04-01-2005, 09:13 AM
If we get Shelton or someone like Terry, I think we'll be fine.

If not, Teague will be our LT and we may be in some trouble.

Jersey1031
04-01-2005, 09:15 AM
definitley need the shelton trade to go through

Hounds
04-01-2005, 09:19 AM
The Oline now you would have to say is still bad when what I think is the most important position being LT is still up in the air. If they can find someone to fill that position then I think the line will be good. But as of now that is to big of an if to say the line is good. FInd a LT has to be the biggest need for the Bills as a team.

Tatonka
04-01-2005, 11:32 AM
pole.. as in pole smoker.

OpIv37
04-01-2005, 11:37 AM
you need a third option- the line is decent but could be improved. I was predicting doom for this team, based mainly on the inexperienced QB and a running team with crap line. This helps but it's not quite the answer we're looking for. Add Shelton and I think we'll have a great year, Losman's 0 starts notwithstanding.

mybills
04-01-2005, 11:54 AM
If not, Teague will be our LT and we may be in some trouble.
Am I the only one who doesn't think that!

G. Host
04-01-2005, 12:14 PM
I do not think Willis will EVER get 2000 yards in his career. There are very few backs who ever put in 2000 yards in one season and Willis does not appear to be one. I think he can not take that many hits in a year.

chevyjayce
04-01-2005, 12:16 PM
I think so!

Devin
04-01-2005, 12:23 PM
SHould be a middle option.

"Good, but could be better"

Mr. Cynical
04-01-2005, 12:24 PM
I think there needs to be a 3rd option: "Better than last year but still not fixed".

Without a stud LT....and with a $9M RT....and an average C.....this line is not going to be great. At best is will be a B-/C+ IMO.

mysticsoto
04-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Nope...I don't either. But TT might be rusty and definitely not a long term decision at LT. The long term decision is Jason Peters. He has the physical qualities you want in a LT.

HurryUpTom
04-01-2005, 07:50 PM
I based my vote on the current line (i.e. no Shelton, but including Anderson). I think we have an average RT (MW), average RG (Villarial), below average C (Teague), average LG (Anderson), and horrible LT (Gandy). Conversely, we would have Teague at LT (horrible) and Tucker at C (barely NFL starter material).

I think we are weak and very weak at what I consider the two most important positions on the line (LT and C) and at this point in time, I still consider the line worse than last season (Jennings and Smith for Anderson and Gandy). If we add Shelton and he's as good as has been advertised around here, I think that would give us an improved line in that 10-15 range.

jamze132
04-02-2005, 08:31 AM
:funny:
pole or poll :huh:

Wolffman
04-02-2005, 02:00 PM
With the signing of Anderson I think the line is decent. Not bad or great, just decent. I may have too much faith in McNally, but IMO he can turn this line into a force. A LT in the draft would really cement it all together.

HurryUpTom
04-02-2005, 02:11 PM
With the signing of Anderson I think the line is decent. Not bad or great, just decent. I may have too much faith in McNally, but IMO he can turn this line into a force. A LT in the draft would really cement it all together.
Without Shelton, do you think our line is better than last year?

mysticsoto
04-02-2005, 03:02 PM
When did Shelton become a god?

Wolffman
04-02-2005, 03:12 PM

I think they're about equal talent wise, but depth wise they're better.

If the Bills do get Shelton, then the line will be better. I think he can become better than Jennings with McNally teaching him.

Jan Reimers
04-02-2005, 03:28 PM
We have four starters returning from what was a pretty decent line the second half of last year. We have upgraded LG with Anderson, added quality depth in Gandy, and may get additional help from the development of McFarland and the conversions of Peters and Bannan.

But whether we'll be better than last year depends on adding a quality LT. If we get Shelton, we should be fine. If we get a good rookie, we may also be OK. But I really don't like anyone on the current roster as our starting LT.

ScottLawrence
04-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Still average.

From what I have read from Ravens fans, the only thing Anderson brings to a team is good run blocking.

He can't pull, and is a bad pass blocking guard.

Get Shelton and I like our offensive line for next year.

HurryUpTom
04-02-2005, 04:00 PM
When did Shelton become a god?
I don't think Shelton is a god ... not too sure where you picked that up. I asked him to evaluate the line as it currently stands, not with any future assumptions.

I've already said how I evaluate the line.

HurryUpTom
04-02-2005, 04:02 PM
We have four starters returning from what was a pretty decent line the second half of last year. We have upgraded LG with Anderson, added quality depth in Gandy, and may get additional help from the development of McFarland and the conversions of Peters and Bannan.

But whether we'll be better than last year depends on adding a quality LT. If we get Shelton, we should be fine. If we get a good rookie, we may also be OK. But I really don't like anyone on the current roster as our starting LT.
I think our depth is about the same, but judging backups from other teams is difficult. Price was a solid backup and I expect the same from Gandy, not an improvement, and not a step down. I actually thought our OL depth was very good last year so I'm happy that we're just as good there. It was our starters that were weak last year.

I disagree on your assessment as to the abilities of our line at the end of last year, but to each his own.

mysticsoto
04-02-2005, 06:35 PM
I don't think Shelton is a god ... not too sure where you picked that up. I asked him to evaluate the line as it currently stands, not with any future assumptions.

I've already said how I evaluate the line.
I say this b'cse I think Shelton is adequate and I do hope we get him...but everyone seems to believe that if we don't get Shelton...we are doomed, doomed, doomed. Shelton is going to be a cheap player for the position. But he is not super fantastic, and we may still need an answer for the longer term.

SoCalBillsFan
04-02-2005, 06:46 PM
We lost arguably our best lineman and have not replaced him. I am concerned about that.

HurryUpTom
04-02-2005, 06:49 PM
I say this b'cse I think Shelton is adequate and I do hope we get him...but everyone seems to believe that if we don't get Shelton...we are doomed, doomed, doomed. Shelton is going to be a cheap player for the position. But he is not super fantastic, and we may still need an answer for the longer term.I think we are doomed, doomed, doomed, if we don't get an adequate LT and Shelton is the only available option that I have heard of that is an adequate LT. That doesn't make him a god ... just a (most likely, if what everyone says is true) significant improvement over any other option.

I think everyone else we currently have (Teague, Gandy, Peters) would be horrible as a starting LT and drafting an LT is a crapshoot with a late 2nd rounder ... not impossible ... but the odds are not something I think we should rely on.

SoCalBillsFan
04-02-2005, 08:00 PM
I think everyone else we currently have (Teague, Gandy, Peters) would be horrible as a starting LT and drafting an LT is a crapshoot with a late 2nd rounder ... not impossible ... but the odds are not something I think we should rely on.

Bingo!

gobuffalo2007
04-02-2005, 08:32 PM
OH HELL YEAH!!!!