PDA

View Full Version : Anderson and comp picks next year?

EDS
04-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Just wondering if signing Anderson would have any effect on a comp pick the Bills might receive for losing Jennings?

And for the record, I like the signing. Should really benefit McGahee.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Just wondering if signing Anderson would have any effect on a comp pick the Bills might receive for losing Jennings?

And for the record, I like the signing. Should really benefit McGahee.

Not with the contract Jennings signed. That contract will probably or might get the Bills third round selection next year.

Dicknoze69
04-01-2005, 09:26 AM
We signed:

Anderson, Holcomb, Gandy

We lost:

Jennings, Williams

So far, we've gained more guys than lost. It's a complex formula for Comp picks, but I'd have to agree that Jennings and Williams contracts will get us something.

ryjam282
04-01-2005, 09:29 AM
I don't think the money that Jennings got will get us anything. I mean, the Dolphins lost Wade last season to the Texans and he got a 10 Million signing bonus. The Fins got no comp picks in return. The NFL doesn't let the teams know how the formula works for the comp picks so...who knows but I am not holding my breath.

Dicknoze69
04-01-2005, 09:37 AM
The size of the contract does count, as does net loss/gain of FA's. How the players play next year and awards (Pro Bowl) also affect it.

But you're right, the NFL doesn't give out it's formula for this, so it's all hearsay.

TigerJ
04-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Is the round where players were originally drafted a factor? Anderson and Pat Williams were never drafted. Jennings was a third round pick, wasn't he? Holcombe was an undrafted frree agent out of college. Mike Gandy isn't even listed at the moment on NFL.com and the official Bills website does not say how he entered the league.

Dicknoze69
04-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Is the round where players were originally drafted a factor? Anderson and Pat Williams were never drafted. Jennings was a third round pick, wasn't he? Holcombe was an undrafted frree agent out of college. Mike Gandy isn't even listed at the moment on NFL.com and the official Bills website does not say how he entered the league.

No, the round where a player was drafted doesn't count.

Dicknoze69
04-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in a year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

Basically, we have to lose more people than we gain, or we have to lose players of higher quality, which I think we've achieved this off-season.

To what extent, who knows? I think we get a high pick for losing JJ, and Williams might be negated by signing Holcomb, Gandy, and Anderson.

G. Host
04-01-2005, 12:25 PM

Third round, pick 68 out of Notre Dame from 2001
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/letter/G&e=9888
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:gAxN22qFTbsJ:www.nfl.com/draft/history/schools/ND+NFL+draft+%22Mike+Gandy%22&hl=en

He was a teammate of Tony Driver and Dan O'Leary, two players the Bills drafted.

Sportsuser101
04-01-2005, 12:35 PM
I refuse to try to understand these comp picks so I'm not even going to try. When it happens I will look. Other then that I'm not getting my hopes up.