PDA

View Full Version : If not Gregg then who?

DraftBoy
12-09-2002, 05:40 PM
Who will be bring in to be the next coach, I would prefer a guy with some exp. not another DC with no head coaching exp. I would love Parcells but thats like a snowflakes chance in hell.

shelby
12-09-2002, 06:12 PM
Teddy Cotrell:biggrin:

DraftBoy
12-09-2002, 06:14 PM
He is the a contract and the Jets wont let him back

shelby
12-09-2002, 06:15 PM
ok....then who is available?

DraftBoy
12-09-2002, 06:17 PM
my question exactly?

shelby
12-09-2002, 06:29 PM
:doh:

i want Gruden;)
:lol:

DraftBoy
12-09-2002, 06:32 PM
why is it only me and you responding to this thread, I would like Tobin or Stoops!

shelby
12-09-2002, 06:42 PM
:lol:

we need Wys to intervene.........
;)

JefftheBillsfan
12-09-2002, 07:31 PM
I would love Bob Stoops!!!! I dont think he wants to leave Olahoma though.

PA Season Ticket Holder
12-09-2002, 09:18 PM
It doesn't matter if he's employed by the Jets. If a coach is offered a promotion they are free to go.

It's not gonna happen. I don't see what the big thing is about Ted Cottrell. It's time to give it up

JJamezz
12-09-2002, 09:25 PM
Hmm... I think Norv Turner needs another shot as the head guy.

Akhippo
12-09-2002, 09:29 PM
Id say Mariucci, but hes an O guy, still a good coach, Marvin Lewis would be my second. TD picked on looks not talent when he picked GW's. He should suck it up and get ML. Just no tired retreads.

mackey789
12-09-2002, 11:15 PM
GW isnt going anywhere so just give it up

Novacane
12-09-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by mackey789
GW isnt going anywhere so just give it up

I would not say that is a given yet. If we get blown out our next 3 games (a possibility) than I say there is at least a 50/50 chance he gets fired

Buffatexas
12-10-2002, 06:58 AM
Why fire GW?, Jerry Gray is the one that needs to go

blcny
12-10-2002, 08:17 AM
What about Green(used to coach in Minnisota)? He was a good coach. Got to the playoffs alot. Look what happened to that team after he left. I think he would be a good coach for us.

TigerJ
12-10-2002, 12:00 PM
PA is right. As long as a coach under contract is going to get a clear promotion when he moves to a new team, the old team cant stop him-league policy. Ted Cottrell is assistant head coach as well as DC. Head Coach is the only position that anyone can offer him. I don't know at this point whether GW will stay or go. The team overall has made improvements under his tenure. The arguement that those improvements are due entirely to the hiring of Gilbride and the signing of Bledsoe has some validity. At the same time I think GW learned some from his mistakes last year and may still have some upside as a coach. If GW is canned I'd look for a successful college head coach who has experience in the NFL at least as a coordinator. The trouble is that relative to the pros college head coaches enjoy more job security and in some cases get paid even more.

Drewpac
12-10-2002, 12:05 PM
Tyrone Willingham - I know he would never leave ND (the greatest college coaching position) but he would make a great coach.

Dennis Green - I always thought he was a poor game coach but he always assembled winning teams.

Bill Parcells
Bob Stoops
Pete Carroll - did a great job with USC

DraftBoy
12-10-2002, 02:19 PM
Carroll is a NCAA only coach, he sucked with the patsies, god I wish we had signed Willingham.

RedEyE
12-11-2002, 08:20 PM
Mariucci - Head Cheese (if available)

Gilbride - OC (willing to give him another chance with S.Mariucci at the helm.)

Mike Archer - DC (This guy will shock you. I promise.)

German
12-11-2002, 08:53 PM
Parcells as first choice (yeah , I know it's not going to happen),
Mike Holmgren (took the Packers to two SB's),
Mariucci

ArcticWildMan
12-11-2002, 08:54 PM
We stand a better chance of having Marv come out of retirement than getting any of those three :(

Dozerdog
12-11-2002, 09:32 PM
Pete Carroll? He is the #1 reason Drew's Career began to tail off... he took a SB team and ran it into the ground in NE.

He took a decent Jets Team and ran it into the ground before that.

IF you try to hit up a college coach, go with Nick Saban from LSU. He will want a boatload of money and may want TD's power on personell decisions. Barry Alverez from Wisconsin might be a choice.

Those other college coaches won't touch this job... low pay and NFL coaches have low job security.

If you want a guy who we don't have to train for a year or two as HC, then Norv Turner is the best available candidate. Jim Mora (maybe) but he does not light my fire at all.

Gilbride has been a HC before. I would take him or Cottrell. I would then go after somebody like Dick LeBeau , Dick Jauron, or Vince Tobin as DC. They are HC now that will probably get fired. Lebeau and Jauron were decent DC's.

German
12-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
We stand a better chance of having Marv come out of retirement than getting any of those three :(

Holmgren will loose his job in Seattle, that's almost as certain as the amen in church.

If you throw enough money at Parcells he might reconsider.
Mariucci's contract runs out after the season, right?

IMHO it'll be Ralph's decision on how much money he wants to spend on a coach.
If he hires one of these three it would proof to me that he wants a ring.
If he goes cheap again, well, we are never going back to the SB.

From a coach's point of view, what could be a better setup for success as we have here in Buffalo?
Think about it, the cap issues have been (mostly) solved, we have a good offense.
Basically the only thing the coach needs to become a serious contender next season is one decent offseason (draft/FA).

Good money and an (fairly) easy job, who wouldn't want that?

lunatic_bills_fan
12-11-2002, 09:42 PM
German, I believe you are very wrong in your assessment of Mike Holmgrem. Seattle isnt going to let him go just yet. Seattle is another team that has a bunch of cap room next year and will be looking to beef up at soem positions. Remember he is also the GM in Seattle.

German
12-11-2002, 09:50 PM
lunatic,

I might be wrong, I just went with what was reported on a few sports shows.
I'm not (that) familiar with the situation in Seattle.

But don't you agree that this guy would be a good coach for us?

casdhf
12-12-2002, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by RedEyE
Mariucci - Head Cheese (if available)

You really wanna go back to the West Coast Offense?

WNYnut
12-12-2002, 08:14 AM
We need to be proactive yet innovative, why not Bill Cosby, or that guy who played Huggy Bear. :bart:

TacklingDummy
12-12-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by casdhf

You really wanna go back to the West Coast Offense?

I don't think Drew is capable of running the WCO. He doesn't get rid of the ball fast enough.