PDA

View Full Version : Sabres are going to propose this change...

SabreEleven
04-02-2005, 05:41 AM
Interesting....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/Sabre11/BillsZonePic/1112383034_top.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3506904

http://www.sabres.com/net_design.php

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Larry Quinn has way to much time on his hands.

Sabre Ally
04-02-2005, 09:47 AM
I guess that's one way to get them to score more......or more likely, get scored on more.

RetroRaiders81
04-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Is this a joke? If it's not then that idea is bull****.

The_Philster
04-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Is this a joke? If it's not then that idea is bull****.

no...not a joke...the NHL is trying to find ways to improve the viewership of the game. More scoring =more excitement

RetroRaiders81
04-02-2005, 12:02 PM
no...not a joke...the NHL is trying to find ways to improve the viewership of the game. More scoring =more excitement
I know, but to go to that extreme? I think more goals would make it LESS exciting. Who wants to see 10+ goals in a game? It takes excitment away from a goal. When there isn't a goal in over a period, it makes the next one that much more exciting, I think they'll ruin the game.

buffalofan19
04-02-2005, 12:11 PM
I don't think the net design is a bad idea. It would increase scoring, but not by too much. Maybe at first, but in time goaltenders will figure out how to defend it better.

I have to say in watching the video on sabres.com. Ryan Miller didn't seem to like it too much.:funny:

The_Philster
04-02-2005, 12:13 PM
I know, but to go to that extreme? I think more goals would make it LESS exciting. Who wants to see 10+ goals in a game? It takes excitment away from a goal. When there isn't a goal in over a period, it makes the next one that much more exciting, I think they'll ruin the game.

where do you get 10+ goals a game? you really think the goaltenders in the NHL suck that badly?

RetroRaiders81
04-02-2005, 12:15 PM
lol, yah probably not 10, but I think the game is fine as it is.

The_Philster
04-02-2005, 12:17 PM
lol, yah probably not 10, but I think the game is fine as it is.

you might...as might other bigtime hockey fans....but the idea behind this attempt to increase scoring is to lure in more fringe hockey fans

Wolffman
04-02-2005, 12:56 PM
That idea is dumb. So what happens to EVERY GOALIE ON EARTH that learned to play in the 'old' net? Colleges will have to buy the new nets, in turn the high schools will have to, all the way down to the pee-wee level. Thats a ton of money people will have to spend just because the NHL wants to catch some 'fringe' fans. There are better and more sensable ways to make the game more exciting. Did anyone ever think of a salary cap? Or getting rid of the red line?

RetroRaiders81
04-02-2005, 01:18 PM
No offsides...:funny:

Myers57
04-02-2005, 06:51 PM
I like it, it looks quite akward at first but I think it will end up benefiting the game giving it a more modern appearance...

Typ0
04-02-2005, 10:10 PM
I like the way it looks too...but it would favor the best puck handlers far too much. I think the best thing they could do is take fighting out of the game...I don't go to see hockey because I like boxing...I want to see hockey. Every team has someone on their bench that is just there because they can fight and throw off the momentum of the game. Keep the game flowing and use that roster spot for a better hockey player and the game will be that much better. Hockey is a very rough sport and that is what makes it what it is...if there is aggression then take it out on the boards where the game is that much more enjoyable and intense. Fighting in hockey does nothing but drag the game as a whole down and it's about time the NHL realized how much it turns people off to a great sport instead of favoring the few who like it.

PUCKER
04-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Yup. Its interesting alright...

RetroRaiders81
04-03-2005, 02:11 PM
I like the way it looks too...but it would favor the best puck handlers far too much. I think the best thing they could do is take fighting out of the game...I don't go to see hockey because I like boxing...I want to see hockey. Every team has someone on their bench that is just there because they can fight and throw off the momentum of the game. Keep the game flowing and use that roster spot for a better hockey player and the game will be that much better. Hockey is a very rough sport and that is what makes it what it is...if there is aggression then take it out on the boards where the game is that much more enjoyable and intense. Fighting in hockey does nothing but drag the game as a whole down and it's about time the NHL realized how much it turns people off to a great sport instead of favoring the few who like it.
I kinda agree with you, but I would be mad if they took fighting out.

Uncle Jesse
04-03-2005, 08:50 PM
I was at the Amerks game tonight, and the displayed the nets outside in the hallways, and then in the 2nd intermission, they did a little shootout with some high school guys using the nets. They were ok, weird looking but ok, didnt really see much of a differnce in scoring though, however they were just HS guys.

The_Philster
04-03-2005, 08:54 PM
They're only 13% larger...might add on an average of a half goal a game or so...it's not that drastic but enough that scoreless games will be harder to come by.

lordofgun
04-03-2005, 09:12 PM
I like it. :up:

chubluv
04-03-2005, 09:46 PM

Me too !!!

I was at the Amerks game tonight, and the displayed the nets outside in the hallways, and then in the 2nd intermission, they did a little shootout with some high school guys using the nets. They were ok, weird looking but ok, didnt really see much of a differnce in scoring though, however they were just HS guys.

I was there also Quinn should have told those kids to try and pick the top corners. Most of them went low except for one; he hit the middle of the crossbar. Which with the normal nets would of sailed over the top.

Uncle Jesse
04-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I was there also Quinn should have told those kids to try and pick the top corners. Most of them went low except for one; he hit the middle of the crossbar. Which with the normal nets would of sailed over the top.
Yea of 10 shots, one goal was scored, and it was 5-hole!

BuffaloRanger
04-04-2005, 10:27 AM
The HSers were weak. No moves, just skate in and try 5 hole. Not impressive.

10 goals + 4 fights = a great game!

Fighting is a part of hockey. The best change the NHL could make is to get rid of the instigator rule. I don't think the AHL has it, at least it didn't appear so in last night's game. The rats get chippy with their sticks knowing they can't get pounded because the other player will incure an additional 2 minute penalty. The NHL tried to get rid of fighting to appeal to "non-traditional" fans. News Flash to the NHL: Fights are down but no new fans.

Screw the fringe fans. They will never be more than casual fans. Let them keep their NBA and NASCAR - we shouldn't want them. The NHL needs to refocus their efforts on making the serious fan happy.

RetroRaiders81
04-04-2005, 02:57 PM
I don't...:cynic: . Just think if they did something like make the uprights of the goal post wider...It just ain't right. If players had to shoot on a small net 10 years ago, then players should shoot on a small net 10 years froms now. It also favors the skaters, and not goalies, which I think is unfair. Goals should increase anyway b/c there enforcing smaller pads.

Makaveli
04-06-2005, 09:22 PM
i don't really like it, but whatever it takes to get more scoring on the go...

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20050401/net_70801.jpg

SkateZilla
04-06-2005, 09:37 PM
that pic was photo shopped..

heres the real thing

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050331/capt.nydd40103312135.bigger_nets_nydd401.jpg

Typ0
04-07-2005, 03:45 AM
The HSers were weak. No moves, just skate in and try 5 hole. Not impressive.

10 goals + 4 fights = a great game!

Fighting is a part of hockey. The best change the NHL could make is to get rid of the instigator rule. I don't think the AHL has it, at least it didn't appear so in last night's game. The rats get chippy with their sticks knowing they can't get pounded because the other player will incure an additional 2 minute penalty. The NHL tried to get rid of fighting to appeal to "non-traditional" fans. News Flash to the NHL: Fights are down but no new fans.

Screw the fringe fans. They will never be more than casual fans. Let them keep their NBA and NASCAR - we shouldn't want them. The NHL needs to refocus their efforts on making the serious fan happy.

I disagree....hockey is played plenty without fighting...at least make it a much more decimating type of penalty instead of just giving losing teams the chance to change the momentum of the game by starting a fight...that is the most rediculous thing in professional sports.

RetroRaiders81
04-07-2005, 06:34 AM
I disagree....hockey is played plenty without fighting...at least make it a much more decimating type of penalty instead of just giving losing teams the chance to change the momentum of the game by starting a fight...that is the most rediculous thing in professional sports.
and you gotta love it...

Myers57
04-08-2005, 10:49 AM
If they didn't angle the top crossbar I think more people would accept the idea...

SABuffalo786
04-11-2005, 09:16 PM
They also want to expand playoffs to 20 teams. :rolleyes:

buffalofan19
04-12-2005, 10:46 PM
The problem is there are not enough "serious fans" to keep this sport healthy. I mean, come on, last year's Stanley Cup playoffs got worse TV ratings than re-runs of "Full House" on TV Land, and that is not an exaggeration. The league needs to find some way to attract new fans. I am not so sure that changing the shape of the net is going to do that but I am glad to see that they are doing something to try and achieve that.

Turf
04-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Maybe they could try replacing the referees as the most logical fix to the game.

BuffaloRanger
04-18-2005, 01:16 PM
The problem is there are not enough "serious fans" to keep this sport healthy. I mean, come on, last year's Stanley Cup playoffs got worse TV ratings than re-runs of "Full House" on TV Land, and that is not an exaggeration. The league needs to find some way to attract new fans. I am not so sure that changing the shape of the net is going to do that but I am glad to see that they are doing something to try and achieve that.

Unless you grew up with hockey, or live in a city with a minor league or better still an NHL team you aren't going to be a hockey fan. The rules seem too confusing, they have problems finding the puck, etc.

Nebraska will never be a hockey area. Oklahoma - No. Iowa - No. Oregon, No. But they all have basketball, baseball and fiootball fans because of high school, college and pro teams. Those are just examples. The majority of areas in the country ignore hockey. People drive cars and imagine themselves on a NASCAR track.

Hockey will always be a niche sport. If the NHL could affiliate teams in the ECHL and other low minor teams with NHL teams, (think A, AA, AAA in baseball) then non-traditional fans might feel something for NHL teams.

Minorities see nothing in hockey. That's the way it is. They have no one to relate to. Plain and simple. I don't blame them at all.

The NHL alienates it's longtime fans trying to lure more fans. It's all BS.

Non-fan: Hockey is like wrestling. Fighting is barbaric.
NHL: OK, rules were put in place to limit fighting, will you be a fan now?
Non-fan: Of course not! I have no idea what's going on. I just want to judge you from on high.

BuffaloRanger
04-18-2005, 01:22 PM
NHL will never do well in National ratings. In areas where hockey is big, it does very well. In areas where it's not, yes full house would outdraw it.

DraftBoy
04-18-2005, 01:30 PM
the logic that since players in the past didnt have to shoot on bigger nets why should they now? Also in the past the goalie equipment hasnt been nearly as big and you cant ask them to scale it down bc with the way some players shoot today it could be dangerous to them. So increase the net size. Ryan Miller looks more than capable in the picture to cover the whole net and it will make goalies form new traditional ways of keeping the nets clear of goals.

SabreEleven
04-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Maybe they could try replacing the referees as the most logical fix to the game.

Or at least have the referees start calling the rules that are in the rule book.

BuffaloRanger
04-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Scoring is great, but it's not guarenteed to bring in new fans. Lacrosse has plenty of goals. It too is a niche sport that does well in areas it's big, but it's never going to be big nationally. Goals aren't everything, too many actually lessen the value of scoring. I think it's funny how Basketball fans make such a big deal about slam dunks. It's 2 points. Just like that tip in rebound. There will be 50 more like it scored by that team during the game.

Hockey fans want to see more open play, more great moves and end to end rushes, ala Gilbert Perrault. Change/enforce the rules to bring that about and the game's "watchability" will improve drastically.