PDA

View Full Version : Let's draft Matt Jones....

OpIv37
04-02-2005, 05:07 PM
He's the second coming of Jason Peters. He'll be WR, TE, HB for gadget plays, 3rd string QB, chief operating officer and director of stadium parking.

HurryUpTom
04-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Are you comparing him to Jason Peters as a positive or a negative?

OpIv37
04-02-2005, 05:50 PM
there were a lot of Jason Peters threads on this board- just making fun of the situation. Seriously, I think Jones would be a decent addition, but I'd rather see the O line and the D line addressed first.

mysticsoto
04-02-2005, 06:30 PM
there were a lot of Jason Peters threads on this board- just making fun of the situation. Seriously, I think Jones would be a decent addition, but I'd rather see the O line and the D line addressed first.
Hmmm...what if the trade goes through and we get Shelton (and Baas is gone by the 2nd)? In truth, unless Adam Terry is available (or a higher ranked OT - unlikely), I don't think anyone else on the O-line side is worth taking at that position...

OpIv37
04-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Hmmm...what if the trade goes through and we get Shelton (and Baas is gone by the 2nd)? In truth, unless Adam Terry is available (or a higher ranked OT - unlikely), I don't think anyone else on the O-line side is worth taking at that position...

interesting thoughts- if we get Shelton then I will be satisfied with the O line. As far as D line goes- I just hope the Bills brass knows something about Anderson or Edwards that I don't. If there truly are no worthwhile O linemen or D linemen available, then I won't complain about picking up Jones.

Sportsuser101
04-02-2005, 07:49 PM
interesting thoughts- if we get Shelton then I will be satisfied with the O line. As far as D line goes- I just hope the Bills brass knows something about Anderson or Edwards that I don't. If there truly are no worthwhile O linemen or D linemen available, then I won't complain about picking up Jones.
Edwards played well last year and Anderson didn't play last year but the Bills front office seems very high on him. I don't see us going dline in the 2nd round.

Tatonka
04-02-2005, 10:15 PM
i dont see a need to go D line at all, to be honest..

i cant really give you a great reason.. but i just completely trust that the combination of anderson and edwards is going to be good.. edwards will be the starter all year and do well.. anderson will sub in goaline type situations or obvious running downs..

DMBcrew36
04-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Do we really think that Matt Jones will be available at 44th or 55th pick? Everyone seems to be high on him. It makes it seems like someone will give in and snag him earlier than either of these possible picks of ours.

Michael82
04-03-2005, 10:03 AM
I'd take Chris Spencer.

mysticsoto
04-03-2005, 10:15 AM
I'd take Chris Spencer.
But Center is a position with depth...we could probably wait til the 3rd or even 4th and still get a quality Center...

Given the scenario mentioned above, in my opinion, we either get a physical specimen like Matt Jones or we get a CB to possibly be the replacement of Nate if we can't reach a deal with him.

jamze132
04-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Matt Jones just might be envied by millions one day.

colin
04-03-2005, 10:32 AM
that guy looks exactly like this swedish triple jumper, don't know if he got gold but he was up there in athens.

anyhow, if we can use this guy in the slot of back field for like 5 plays a game, he will scare opposing Ds and prolly be the first bill to pass, catch, and run in a touch down in one season.

although i agree in principal that a better o line is much more important, just signing or drafting every o lineman available won't make much of a diff if they aren't much better than who have allready, but this jones kid might really make a difference on our team.

i'm sure TD will make the best choice when time comes.

gr8slayer
04-03-2005, 11:08 AM
"Lets draft Matt Jones" Do you think you are a pioneer or something? Every other team in the NFL is saying "lets draft Matt Jones"

OpIv37
04-03-2005, 11:11 AM
"Lets draft Matt Jones" Do you think you are a pioneer or something? Every other team in the NFL is saying "lets draft Matt Jones"
obviously someone is unfamiliar with the concept of sarcasm.

jpdex12
04-03-2005, 11:13 AM
I'd take Chris Spencer.I heard Spencer interview on Sirius Radio Saturday. He speaks very well and sounded like a pretty smart guy. He wakes up at 5:30 every morning to workout and his grandfather taught him this type of mentality (early bird gets the worm). He is a blue collar worker and he will do very well in the NFL barring any injuries. I wouldn't be mad picking him up in round two so we could plan for the departure of Teague or his permanent move to LT if that is what McNally is planning. For some reason though, if we get Shelton, I don't think that TD will go O-line early in the draft. Look for a CB to be drafted or an impact player like Jones. I'd say Jones if he's there. He would cause tremendous mismatch problems.

justasportsfan
04-04-2005, 08:11 AM
03/01/2005 - Former Arkansas quarterback turned chameleon Matt Jones was arguably the most analyzed player at the Senior Bowl. Many, however, thought he wouldn't justify the hype once it came to working out. They were wrong.

For all of the talk of the records matched and broken this Combine, the 6-6, 242 pound Jones' workout was arguably the most impressive. Jones blazed through the forty yard dash, posting a 4.40 electronic time. He wasn't finished, however, boasting a 39.5" vertical jump and 10'9" standing broad jump. These are times usually reserved for cornerbacks, widely considered the elite athletes of the NFL.

It remains to be seen in just what capacity Matt Jones is used at the next level, but there can be no doubting his athleticism. Pound for pound, he ranks right there with Shawne Merriman, Ronnie Brown, and Pac-Man Jones as being the elite athletes of the draft.

02/27/2005 - (NFL Combine Note, Next Level Scouting, Inc) - Arkansas senior quarterback/wide receiver/tight end MATT JONES ran between 4.38 and 4.45 in the 40 today, while weighing 242 pounds. His only disappointing moment of the Combine came when he decided to workout with the quarterbacks here, while putting off his workout, as a wide receiver until his Pro Day, as most teams wanted to see his hands, routes and ability to adjust to the ball today.

02/25/2005 - (NFL Combine Note, Next Level Scouting, Inc) - Arkansas senior quarterback/tight end MATT JONES was 6060, 242 pounds at his weigh-in, and has spoken to Dallas, Jacksonville and Pittsburgh, but has also gotten a lot of praise from members of Cleveland and Miami, including Dolphins head coach Nick Saban, who said "(I) think that over the past few years Matt Jones was responsible for more wins single-handedly than any other player in the SEC". He was recently timed at sub-4.45, while training for the Combine.

01/30/2005 - (Senior Bowl Game Note) - Two receivers who did produce were Purdue's Taylor Stubblefield and Arkansas' former quarterback, Matt Jones.Jones, at 6-5, 240 pounds, is impossible for cornerbacks to cover and could prove to be a great short range option. He made some nice grabs, including one on third down and another for a touchdown.

01/26/2005 - (Senior Bowl Practice Note) - Give Matt Jones credit, a day after looking like he'd never play receiver at the next level, he made strides in his route-running and seemed a little more committed to playing receiver. While I still question his ability to consistently get open against the quicker, faster defensive backs of the NFL, what is not in question is Jones' hands. He hasn't dropped a single ball this week and snared a beautiful one-handed touchdown over LSU cornerback Travis Daniels. It was the catch of the week, thus far.

01/25/2005 - (Senior Bowl Practice Note) - Former Arkansas quarterback Matt Jones has been placed at wide receiver for the week and while this continues to be one of the game's biggest stories, it might all be for show, as his potential at this position is limited, at best. Jones (6-6, 242) has superb size and should be considered at tight end as he is athletic and does have reliable hands. That said, he lacks the quickness to gain separation and the speed to be any kind of deep threat. He asked for the opportunity to play quarterback here and was actually granted four attempts (completed only 2/4 against no pass rush and didn't look that good), but if he is to make the NFL it will certainly be at a position other than quarterback. In all likelihood, if he is to remain in the NFL, it will be a position other than receiver, too.

01/03/2005 - Plays quarterback for the Razorbacks and wants to continue playing this position in the NFL, but simply might not have the accuracy or decision-making needed to make this jump. Has the perfect blend of size and athletic ability to make the transition to tight end. Not afraid of contact. Actually led Arkansas in rushing this past season with 622 yards and 6 touchdowns. Tough. Didn't miss time this past season despite groin and hamstring injuries.

Has shown ability as a receiver in the past, seeing action here as both a freshman and sophomore. With former collegiate basketball players Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates developing into two of the league's top tight ends, scouts will be thrilled to know about Jones' propensity on the court, playing each of the past two seasons, starting 12 games over that time… Obviously as raw as they come, but simply too good of an athlete not to get listed here.

12/27/2004 - QB Matt Jones -- Despite his propensity for forcing things and committing critical turnovers in three of Arkansas close losses, Jones still carried this team as far as he could, he still led the Razorbacks in rushing with 622 yards and six touchdowns while passing for 2,073 yards and 15 TDs. He also played through groin and hamstring injuries without missing extended periods of playing time.

PS -Sorry no link. G

BuffaloRanger
04-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Wow talk about a guy that's rising fast. In december he's as raw as they come. In march he's a 1st round pick.