• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Surtain a goner; Dolphins sign Edwards

In what might be the precursor to the long-discussed trade of Patrick Surtain, the Miami Dolphins have signed unrestricted free agent cornerback Mario Edwards.

A five-year veteran, who played for Tampa Bay in 2004 after spending the first four seasons of his career with the Dallas Cowboys, Edwards signed a one-year contract. The financial details of the deal were not available.

In what might be the precursor to the long-discussed trade of Patrick Surtain, the Miami Dolphins have signed unrestricted free agent cornerback Mario Edwards.
  • Samphin1
    • Mar 2004

Well, I could have told you he was a goner before this signing. :P With Poole, Edwards and others on the depth chart, we wll hopefully have an in house replacement for Surtain. None of those guys will be as elite as Surtain to start, but hopefully they can hold their own. I really like Will Poole's talent and think he can be a fantastic CB in this league.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

Long road ahead for the Fish.

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

Is the deal with the Chiefs finalized? Seems like now the Dolphins have less leverage to demand a 2nd rd pick for Surtain considering the new signing. Now a team can say we'll give you a 3rd for him, and if you don't like it, you can stay stuck with him...

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
          • May 2003

Comment

• SkapePhin
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by mysticsoto
            Is the deal with the Chiefs finalized? Seems like now the Dolphins have less leverage to demand a 2nd rd pick for Surtain considering the new signing. Now a team can say we'll give you a 3rd for him, and if you don't like it, you can stay stuck with him...
            I dont think "staying stuck with Surtain" is all that bad.. Face it, we will get a 2nd round pick or we will keep Surtain for another year and possibly franchise him next year.. Its a WIN/WIN in my opinion.

Comment

• Nublar7
              • Oct 2004

Saban is counting on the trade with KC that would send us a 2nd rounder. However, if KC can't meet the demands, we will probably just release Mario. Dolphins still have the leverage, not KC.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                • Feb 2005

Not sure what Edwards signing means Surtain is gone. Edwards is not a starter and I don't think he's a very good nickle.
                Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Leverage is nothing basically if the Dolphins dont do the deal with KC they are gonna have one unhappy CB on their roster and may be looking at a hold out, allowing for the contract to be done before the trade could hurt the Phins in the end but we will see. They back out now they cost Surtain certain money he knows he woulda earned prolly not something that he'll take too well.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                    • Feb 2005

No more Surtain would be great news for us.

Comment

• feelthepain
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                      Leverage is nothing basically if the Dolphins dont do the deal with KC they are gonna have one unhappy CB on their roster and may be looking at a hold out, allowing for the contract to be done before the trade could hurt the Phins in the end but we will see. They back out now they cost Surtain certain money he knows he woulda earned prolly not something that he'll take too well.
                      That won't happen, Surtain is a class act and has been a fin his whole career he has a lot of friends on the team and won't leave them hanging, besides his value would fall throught the floor if he sat out a year it would be counter productive. We are in the driver seat and will stay there. If Surtain signs with KC we will get fair value either this year or next. Saban is no fool and will not be had. M.Edwards is nothing more then depth, and has nothing to do with starting.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
                        Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
                        • Jul 2002

This potential deal reminds me of our situation with Henry. Either the Dolphins get a 2nd rounder for him, or they keep him. Keeping him is not a bad idea, since he's highly regarded. He may be upset, but I seriously doubt he'd let it affect the team.

And if I'm the Chiefs, I'd do this deal in a heartbeat.

God give me style and give me grace
                        God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by feelthepain
                          That won't happen, Surtain is a class act and has been a fin his whole career he has a lot of friends on the team and won't leave them hanging, besides his value would fall throught the floor if he sat out a year it would be counter productive. We are in the driver seat and will stay there. If Surtain signs with KC we will get fair value either this year or next. Saban is no fool and will not be had. M.Edwards is nothing more then depth, and has nothing to do with starting.
                          So was Henry.
                          Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• jamze132
                            Don’t hate…
                            • Jun 2003

I think Surtain is definitley worth a 2nd rounder.

Comment

• Ed
                              Dude
                              • Sep 2002

If the Dolphins do end up getting a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Surtain, does that open the door for a possible Travis Henry trade?

I know Saban had mentioned being interested in Henry a couple months ago and Donahoe said he wouldn't be opposed to trading him within the division. I guess it depends what they want to do with their first pick and how much they like the RB's coming out, but if they did want to go in a different direction, I think a trade for Travis could look pretty appealing.

Would the Dolphins be willing to part with a 2nd? Would we be willing to accept a 3rd for him?

Maybe the Surtain trade could at least give us some leverage with the Cardinals if we could generate some interest from the fins.

Comment

Working...
                              X