PDA

View Full Version : Arizona drops additional demands for Shelton

gil
04-05-2005, 11:56 AM
According to a roundup article in the Washington Post:

<!--StartFragment -->The Arizona Cardinals say they've dropped their request for additional compensation in a proposed trade that would send offensive tackle L.J. Shelton to Buffalo for Bills tailback Travis Henry.</NITF>

<NITF>Tom Donahoe, the Bills' president and general manager, said recently one of the things holding up the deal was the Cardinals' demand that the Bills part with more than Henry. Henry requested a trade after losing the Bills' starting tailback job last season to Willis McGahee. . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27611-2005Apr5.html

Hopefully this might be enough for TD to pull the trigger.

First post by the way - love the forum!

gil
</NITF>

Jayhawk
04-05-2005, 12:51 PM
cool, let's hope it gets done sometime before the season.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-05-2005, 12:56 PM
I wonder if, as in my prior thread, Rod Graves finally decided to go for the trade before someone else makes a better offer for Henry.

Come on TD....get er done then you can use your draft picks on anything you please....

Oh, wait....we still need a backup running back.....hmmmm

Well let's grab Ron Dayne cheap and then TD can do what he wants in the draft!

:posrep: For finding some good info!

gr8slayer
04-05-2005, 01:03 PM
I wonder if, as in my prior thread, Rod Graves finally decided to go for the trade before someone else makes a better offer for Henry.

Come on TD....get er done then you can use your draft picks on anything you please....

Oh, wait....we still need a backup running back.....hmmmm

Well let's grab Ron Dayne cheap and then TD can do what he wants in the draft!

:posrep: For finding some good info!Ron Dayne is a Bronco so that is out of the question.

Tatonka
04-05-2005, 01:07 PM
anthony thomas would be a great back up.

gr8slayer
04-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Has everyone just forgotten that we do have Shaud Williams on our roster?

Gunzlingr
04-05-2005, 01:13 PM
:up: A-Train

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-05-2005, 01:18 PM

How does Shaud Williams provide you with a viable every down alternative if Willis should go down?

I don't care about his size, it's more about his field vision and his rushing skill. He is nothing better than a 3rd stringer at best.

No way we go into the season with Williams as our #2. It just won't happen.

gr8slayer
04-05-2005, 01:19 PM
How does Shaud Williams provide you with a viable every down alternative if Willis should go down?

I don't care about his size, it's more about his field vision and his rushing skill. He is nothing better than a 3rd stringer at best.

No way we go into the season with Williams as our #2. It just won't happen.And you base this on what? The 25 attempts he had last season.

Ebenezer
04-05-2005, 01:24 PM
According to a roundup article in the Washington Post:

<!--StartFragment -->The Arizona Cardinals say they've dropped their request for additional compensation in a proposed trade that would send offensive tackle L.J. Shelton to Buffalo for Bills tailback Travis Henry.</NITF>

<NITF>Tom Donahoe, the Bills' president and general manager, said recently one of the things holding up the deal was the Cardinals' demand that the Bills part with more than Henry. Henry requested a trade after losing the Bills' starting tailback job last season to Willis McGahee. . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27611-2005Apr5.html

Hopefully this might be enough for TD to pull the trigger.

First post by the way - love the forum!

gil
</NITF>
would be interesting...the Bills could do this financially but trading Henry, redoing Mike Williams bonus and probably restructuring a contract.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if Green trades for Henry and drafts Benson.

ryjam282
04-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Welcome Gilbert. Good first post.

Hey Ghost, that would be classic if that happened....Henry would get yet another "slap in the face"

Michael82
04-05-2005, 01:44 PM
It would be freaking hilarious!!! :snicker:

:lolpoint: Travis Henry

mysticsoto
04-05-2005, 01:50 PM
And you base this on what? The 25 attempts he had last season.
Hear...hear. Who is to say what Shaud Williams is capable of...the mentality of alot of people on this board seem to think that if you haven't started, you are not capable. First, it was a mistake to lose PW b'cse Edwards and Anderson are not ready. Now things have switched, and it's Shaun who's not capable. With this mentality, PW would never have become the force he became - yes, once upon a time, he was a backup on our team.

We haven't truly seen what Shaud Williams is capable of. The little that we saw during preseason last year showed he had great bursts of speed and pretty decent field of vision to find the holes. There's nothing that happened then, that I can remember, that says he's not capable of assuming or sharing a role temporarily with maybe Burns, if WM went down for some reason.

Also, TD signed Dante Brown from the PS. To sign him this early must mean that they think very highly of him - and in a draft that is full of RB, that speaks very highly of him...

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2005, 01:55 PM

No way we go into the season with Williams as our #2. It just won't happen.
I agree

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Hear...hear. Who is to say what Shaud Williams is capable of...the mentality of alot of people on this board seem to think that if you haven't started, you are not capable. First, it was a mistake to lose PW b'cse Edwards and Anderson are not ready. Now things have switched, and it's Shaun who's not capable. With this mentality, PW would never have become the force he became - yes, once upon a time, he was a backup on our team.

We haven't truly seen what Shaud Williams is capable of. The little that we saw during preseason last year showed he had great bursts of speed and pretty decent field of vision to find the holes. There's nothing that happened then, that I can remember, that says he's not capable of assuming or sharing a role temporarily with maybe Burns, if WM went down for some reason.

Also, TD signed Dante Brown from the PS. To sign him this early must mean that they think very highly of him - and in a draft that is full of RB, that speaks very highly of him...

He is too small to take the pounding of an everydown back.

Jeff1220
04-05-2005, 01:58 PM
I too like what I saw in Shaud last year. Granted, it was in mop-up duty vs. crappy teams, but the guys seemed to play his heart out every down and, despite his size, looked good running between the tackles.

Player No Yds Avg Long TD

Willis McGahee 284 1128 4.0 41 13
Travis Henry 94 326 3.5 19 0
Shaud Williams 42 167 4.0 27 2

Here's where he saw action:
WK OPP RESULT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
14 CLE W37-7 10 42 4.2 10 1 1 10 10.0 10 0 0 0
15 @CIN W33-17 14 30 2.1 9 0 1 10 10.0 10 0 1 0
16 @SF W41-7 17 93 5.5 27 1 1 -1 -1.0 -1 0 0 0
17 PIT L29-24 1 2 2.0 2 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
Edited for stats

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Shaud had a lot more than 25 carries in college and in NFL Europe. It was obvious from watching highlights that although he is shifty and speedy, he just doesn't have the skills to be a featured back in the NFL at this point in his career.

What are you basing your confidence in him on?

Voltron
04-05-2005, 02:16 PM
I know what you are saying and I love the fact that Williams is quick, BUT quick is not fast and he does not have the size to be a bruiser nor the speed to hit the outside so he just is not a good option for a backup if Willis gets hurt early on in the season. Now if he comes to camp with another 15 to 20 lbs and does not lose a step then I think he may have a chance. I still want to see some quality people (like A-Train) come to camp so we have some real competition. As much as I love Willis and how he has performed the fact that he gets injured a lot scares me. Every time he would get up slow last year my heart was in my throat. :scared:

Tatonka
04-05-2005, 02:17 PM
anthony thomas..

Jeff1220
04-05-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm not against getting a decent b/u at a very good price, but I really don't think there's much of a drop off from someone like A-Train to Shaud Williams. There's a reason why these guys are back ups.
Shaud is small, but that doesn't mean he can't take a beating. He's 5'7' which is very short, but at 193, he's hardly 'small' In proportion, that's about comparable to a guy who is 6' and 235lbs. I know - I'm 5'6" and a solid 150. I'm quite short, but I'm far from small. Shaud is only an inch taller and 43 lbs heavier than I am. That's pretty thick.

cordog
04-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Arizona is starting to blink, this is a good sign that this trade might get done here relatively soon.

Voltron
04-05-2005, 02:39 PM
When is the last time an NFL team wrote someone’s real height? :snicker:

If he comes to camp with more muscle he would be heavier and most likely faster. I just hope he has been working his ass off in the off season because he needed to put on some weight and I also hope he has thought about going to a sprinting clinic like Don Beebe's House of Speed, Inc. If he can get faster and more solid he would have a better chance of breaking outside and breaking tackles.

Mr. Cynical
04-05-2005, 02:44 PM
At least we know now who was bull***ing. Green can't hang with TD and finally blinked.

Earthquake Enyart
04-05-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm not against getting a decent b/u at a very good price, but I really don't think there's much of a drop off from someone like A-Train to Shaud Williams. There's a reason why these guys are back ups.
Shaud is small, but that doesn't mean he can't take a beating. He's 5'7' which is very short, but at 193, he's hardly 'small' In proportion, that's about comparable to a guy who is 6' and 235lbs. I know - I'm 5'6" and a solid 150. I'm quite short, but I'm far from small. Shaud is only an inch taller and 43 lbs heavier than I am. That's pretty thick.
They are two different backs. The A train is a big pounding back like Antoine Smith.

Shaud Williams is a third down, change of pace back.

BuffaloRanger
04-05-2005, 03:53 PM
The knock on A-train lately has been that when holes were opened up that any other back would be able to hit for 5 yards he would get 2 yards.

A-train is too slow to hit the small and fast closing holes of our Oline.

jamze132
04-05-2005, 04:09 PM
He is too small to take the pounding of an everydown back.

Just like Warrick Dunn?

BBUnit1974
04-05-2005, 04:14 PM
time NOW for a henry trade
pls TD:clap:

BuffaloRanger
04-05-2005, 04:22 PM
BBunit1974 - Longtime lurker, 2nd time poster.

Welcome.

buffalofan72
04-05-2005, 04:34 PM

Agreed, he'd be decent.

gr8slayer
04-05-2005, 04:41 PM
I still dont think this will go through till draft day.

DraftBoy
04-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Darren Sproles!

jpdex12
04-05-2005, 05:12 PM
If we are gonn adraft a backup in teh draft, KayJay Harris would be a good second day pick. He has great size too.

HurryUpTom
04-05-2005, 06:25 PM

Also, TD signed Dante Brown from the PS. To sign him this early must mean that they think very highly of him - and in a draft that is full of RB, that speaks very highly of him...Didn't PW force Cottrell to put him on the field regularly in Ted's last year where we ended up having Big Ted and Fat Pat on the field at the same time (I believe it was called "The Package" or something).

Lee Evans took his job away from Josh Reed last year, it wasn't handed to him.

Moulds ended up beating out Quinn Early and then Reed.

Rob Johnson was handed the starting job after being someone's backup.

Mike Pucillo was handed the starting job after being a backup.

Marques Sullivan was handed the starting job after being a backup.

I don't mind a backup eventually starting ... but he should earn the job instead of having it handed to him - otherwise, you don't know if he's gonna **** the bed or do a good job.

The Spaz
04-05-2005, 06:33 PM
If we are gonn adraft a backup in teh draft, KayJay Harris would be a good second day pick. He has great size too.

Or Eric Shelton.

B-DON
04-05-2005, 06:40 PM
the only way we need a backup is if he comes in the sixth or seventh round or for close to the league min. we really do NOT need a back up running back like a train. how can you say he is better than willaim s when neither can start

mysticsoto
04-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Didn't PW force Cottrell to put him on the field regularly in Ted's last year where we ended up having Big Ted and Fat Pat on the field at the same time (I believe it was called "The Package" or something).

Lee Evans took his job away from Josh Reed last year, it wasn't handed to him.

Moulds ended up beating out Quinn Early and then Reed.

Rob Johnson was handed the starting job after being someone's backup.

Mike Pucillo was handed the starting job after being a backup.

Marques Sullivan was handed the starting job after being a backup.

I don't mind a backup eventually starting ... but he should earn the job instead of having it handed to him - otherwise, you don't know if he's gonna **** the bed or do a good job.
I don't want Shauld Williams to be "handed" the position. What I'm saying is that just b'cse you are a backup doesn't mean you aren't capable. I don't know that Shaud could ever beat WM for the starting job - WM seems to be on another level from most backs - and I have no doubt he will be in the top 5 this year! But if something were to happen to him, I don't think it would be a horrible thing to rely on Shaud and maybe Burns for short yardage situations. As a previous poster noted, Shaud maybe be 5'7" or so, but he weighs almost 200 lbs. That's alot for that size and he is not fat. That means he's packed with alot of muscle.

Speaking of which, I have no idea why some people here are calling for us to draft Sproles. He is the same height as Shaud but smaller buildwise (about 20 lbs less). That makes even less sense to me...

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Speaking of which, I have no idea why some people here are calling for us to draft Sproles. He is the same height as Shaud but smaller buildwise (about 20 lbs less). That makes even less sense to me...

I am with you there....Sproles is not on my wish list at all. I don't mind having Shaud on the roster as a change of pace back (ala Greg Hill), but I think if he gets more than 7 or 8 carries in a game, he will spend more time injured than healthy.
Maybe Dante Brown is the answer....but I guess we won't know until training camp.
Joe Burns is a tough nut....but I don't think he is capable of producing big yards.

Tatonka
04-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Just like Warrick Dunn?

dunn gets hurt every season and misses time.. that was a horrible example.

Tatonka
04-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Or Eric Shelton.

i like shelton, but i dont think he makes it out of day one personally.