PDA

View Full Version : If we end up at 44, do we move up to 11?

X-Era
04-06-2005, 05:44 PM
It depends of course on compensation of course, and yes this draft is weak but not at the 10-20 spots, there you get about what you would expect.

Heath Miller? Adam Pac Man Jones? Alex Barron (not really needed with Shelton), Troy Williamson? Erasmus James? Shawn Merriman?

Several of those guys would be at 11.

Hear me out, Yes I dont want to keep trading 1st rounders next year plus picks this year to move up. Yes, I would feel better if this was a trade for 15-20. But, what would a top rated player at one critical spot mean? What would Erasmus James mean to this team that hasnt had a Bruce Smith type since Bruce? What could JP do with Troy Williamson or Mark Clayton plus Moulds and Evans? What could he do with Heath?

Drew could be sent packing because JP was here a year earlier. If we cant keep Clements wouldnt you love to land a Pac Man Jones a year earlier? Most of us think that we arent that far away. If you arent that far away why not give up some picks to get that one key guy who could put you into the elite status?

Im not so sure I would hate it if we pulled this off. Personally, Id love E James, Heath Miller, or Pac Man Jones.

After all, with a set o-line we have no need for Baas unless you start him at C and then where does Teague play assuming we grab Shelton? I dont see us taking o-line if we grab Shelton until later rounds. Nugent is a 3rd rounder at best at this point. Who do we want at 44? a WR? I dont mind it, Alex Smith could probably be there at 55 Why trade up? 44 is too high for Matt Jones IMO, He hasnt proved enough at a position that he would start at in the NFL, would he be great for us? Probably, but there are better players at 44.

Looks like Daryl Blackstock would be about all that really fits at 44, maybe Jerome Mathis but I think he drops a bit more.

I dont move moving up or down from 44.

Canadian'eh!
04-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Using what as trade bait?

Next years #1 and??? Our #1 next year is not likely to be super high, and last years deal was for a #24 or something NOT 11. And it cost us a 5th and 2nd.

so tog o to 11 would cost even more...

Nope... not going to happen. maybe low 1st round but ti think t's time to bite the bullet and skip our #1.

Devin
04-06-2005, 07:43 PM
This year we take what we can get. I still think we are in solid shape. With a good 2nd/3rd round we will be fine.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-07-2005, 06:20 AM
Using what as trade bait?

Next years #1 and??? Our #1 next year is not likely to be super high, and last years deal was for a #24 or something NOT 11. And it cost us a 5th and 2nd.

so tog o to 11 would cost even more...

Nope... not going to happen. maybe low 1st round but ti think t's time to bite the bullet and skip our #1.
I agree. There are more than a few draft "experts" who do not feel that the top of this draft is that much better than the rest of the first day prospects--which is why a number of teams are looking to trade down. Still, teams that are willing to trade down are still going to want as much for their picks as if it were a good draft class. Next year's draft class is supposed to be be better than this one, so why give up picks then? And, if the Bills do move up, they will have to pay the player they draft more--which will create cap problems that are likely to be somewhat less next year when some players whose contracts expire--like a T.Teague--could be let go in favor of a player taken in the mid-rounds this season. It simply would not make sense for the Bills to trade up that far--maybe a couple of picks earlier, if a particular player that they want could be had for a late round pick--in this year's draft.

BillsFanInMass
04-07-2005, 06:37 AM
maybe they would throw in bledsoe too lol

Jan Reimers
04-07-2005, 07:28 AM
This year we take what we can get. I still think we are in solid shape. With a good 2nd/3rd round we will be fine.
I agree. Assuming we have Shelton by draft day, we'll have no monster holes to fill, and will have the luxury of taking the best available players with our 2nd round and subsequent picks.

Tatonka
04-07-2005, 07:31 AM
getting shelton would be like a first round pick, imho.

Devin
04-07-2005, 09:33 AM
yeah I mean as long as we pickup shelton, id aim for another weapon for JP and then draft for depth.

askabry
04-07-2005, 09:50 AM
We've spent most of the TD era waiting for "first day" picks to play in the NFL. Between who our GM goes for and the HC's decisions, few guys are real contributors in Y1.

So to move up ... would seem to be flying in the face of TD's rationale. History: Start with trading picks for an instant starter in Bledsoe. Then in '01, instead of moving up to get Seymour we moved down for Clements. (He did move up a touch to get T-Hen). In '02, he tried but found no takers to move down so it's Big Mike. In '03, he picked a #1 that he knew wouldn't play that year. And in '04, I think you have a special case with Losman. But even then ... he took a guy that probably wouldn't play in Y1.

Bottom line: I don't think TD sees the first year impact of rookies, and I highly doubt he'll move up this year. He's effectively de-emphasized the value of higher picks since he's been here and I doubt he'll change now.

If he gets Green to buckle and toss in 44, look for OC (or another DT)- and a guy we'll groom to play in 2006.

mysticsoto
04-07-2005, 10:12 AM
We've spent most of the TD era waiting for "first day" picks to play in the NFL. Between who our GM goes for and the HC's decisions, few guys are real contributors in Y1.

So to move up ... would seem to be flying in the face of TD's rationale. History: Start with trading picks for an instant starter in Bledsoe. Then in '01, instead of moving up to get Seymour we moved down for Clements. (He did move up a touch to get T-Hen). In '02, he tried but found no takers to move down so it's Big Mike. In '03, he picked a #1 that he knew wouldn't play that year. And in '04, I think you have a special case with Losman. But even then ... he took a guy that probably wouldn't play in Y1.

Bottom line: I don't think TD sees the first year impact of rookies, and I highly doubt he'll move up this year. He's effectively de-emphasized the value of higher picks since he's been here and I doubt he'll change now.

If he gets Green to buckle and toss in 44, look for OC (or another DT)- and a guy we'll groom to play in 2006.
Nor do I think he should move up. I don't want to continually sacrifice next year's possible top picks unless there's a strong reason to do so. Last year, getting JP Losman was definitely worth it. As with a #20 pick this year, we would not get a good calibre QB like JP. But for this year, I think we don't have to do any type of sacrifices and can keep our #1 pick next year which hopefully will be a low 1st round pick. :D

fanman
04-07-2005, 10:24 AM
The Cowboys might trade the 11th pick in the upcoming NFL Draft. Owner Jerry Jones said that if the Cowboys made a trade, it would be down, not up. His hope would be to turn the two first-round picks into at least three cornerstone players. Jones said the Cowboys weren't focusing on any particular players or positions. He said they have needs across the board and will seek the best players available.
-- Fort Worth Star-Telegram
saw this on SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/04/06/truth.rumors.nfl/index.html) and thought it applied to the discussion. It appears that for Dallas' part, they're willing to trade.

However as someone stated above, it would probably require that we give up more than next year's 1st, and this year's 2nd and 5th like we did last year when we aquired Dallas' pick.

I don't see TD trying to pull something this big off. We may not have a glaring need (other than LT for the time being) but we are still desperate for good young depth players who can start in a few years. This type of a trade would deprive us of a few of those prospects.

That being said, if derrick johnson (LB) or maybe jones (CB) or rolle (CB) or slipped to 11 and I was in TD's shoes, my trigger finger might start to itch...