X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Kelsay and Shobel

Kelsay showed signs of being a Phil Hansen type of DE. He needs to be ready to blow it up. Our pass coverage get's better when there is consistent pass rush up front. We won't have to keep zone blitzing which allows our db's to cover better. His numbers were similar to rookie DE Kenichi Udeze.

Our DE's were the weakest link in our DL last year against the pass . They were stout against the run but nothing great against the pass. Denney was good against the run as well but no where to be found during a pass. There was a total of 8 sacks between Denney (3) and Kelsay (5).

Shobel on the other hand wasn't as good as he was in 2003. He did force 5 fumbles but only had 8 sacks. Bellichick did a great job gameplanning against him by double teaming him while rushing to his side the whole time . That took away his ability to rush Brady and took a lot of steam out of him.

Our DE's are decent, but nothing great. Not a huge need but hopefully Krumrie makes them better.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

Schobel is bother underrated and undervalued. We were lucky to get him at the price we did. He is statistically one of the best in the league. There was a great article about him someone posted about a month or two ago if anyone cares to do a search.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• dannyek71
      Drink Responsibly
      • Dec 2004

who is this Shobel you talk about? Shobel doesnt play for this team...

I like Kelsay, I think he will only continue to improve. He is a "high motor" type of player
      [

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by dannyek71
        who is this Shobel you talk about? Shobel doesnt play for this team...

I like Kelsay, I think he will only continue to improve. He is a "high motor" type of player
        OOps!

Why does the edit botton disappear after a while?
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
          Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Devin
          Schobel is bother underrated and undervalued. We were lucky to get him at the price we did. He is statistically one of the best in the league. There was a great article about him someone posted about a month or two ago if anyone cares to do a search.
          Yeah, its on OTCDraft.com, on the Bills page I think. Very good site IMO..
          "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
          -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
            • May 2004

Neither Schobel nor Kelsay are great DE's. You will never see either of them take over a game. But, they are solid enough to get the job done.

Is anyone else growing a little tired of the "high motor guy" line in regard to our Defensive Line? I mean why can't we have one "freak"?

High Motor is another way of saying "makes up for lack of physical gifts through hustle".

I think we are now able to truly appreciate how special Bruce Smith was. We may never see another like him in the league.
            "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
            --Leo Durocher

Comment

• Marvelous
              • Feb 2004

I think Schobel could be that much better if we had some help on the other side.
              Kelsay could turn it on this year. Ron Edwards is a better pass rusher then PigPat so maybe that frees up #94 some...
              GO BILLS!!! NE
              Magical Trevor

Comment

• The_Philster
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                OOps!

Why does the edit botton disappear after a while?
                The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• ebill00
                  • Sep 2003

Is there a pure pass rushing DE in the draft you'd be willing to spend a pick on??

Comment

• gr8slayer
                    • Feb 2005

Im convinced that Kelsay will have a very good year this coming year. He has the size and upper body strength to compete with the better tackles in the league.

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

I'm satisfied with our D line situation.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                        Neither Schobel nor Kelsay are great DE's. You will never see either of them take over a game. But, they are solid enough to get the job done.

Is anyone else growing a little tired of the "high motor guy" line in regard to our Defensive Line? I mean why can't we have one "freak"?

High Motor is another way of saying "makes up for lack of physical gifts through hustle".

I think we are now able to truly appreciate how special Bruce Smith was. We may never see another like him in the league.
                        Great pass-rushers, like Bruce Smith and Reggie White, etc. who can also play the run well just don't come along that often--one or two every 5-10 years. If he hadn't been hurt so much, Kearse might be their successor because he is a "Freak", but the reason that the Bills don't have a "freak" like that is that there just aren't that many around--guys like Freeney and KGB are great pass-rushers, but are a liability against a good running team because they are on the small side and can get pushed around. You are right about our DEs never being great--at least in the sense of being dominant against either the run or as pass-rushers--but they are solid against the run and as pass-rushers, which means that they aren't liabilities against either. Still, they aren't going to make anyone forget how good Bruce Smith was--if anything, they make it easier to remember just how good he was!

Originally posted by ebill00
                        Is there a pure pass rushing DE in the draft you'd be willing to spend a pick on??
                        No. Not really. Of the top rated DEs, I probably like Erasmus James out of Wisconsin best as a pure pass-rusher, but he has had some injury problems, wasn't dominating at the end of the year, and is likely to be long gone before the Bills get around to picking, even if they get Arizona's 2nd round pick in a T.Henry-LJShelton deal. A lot of people like S.Merriman, but I'm not sure that he is better than James as a pass-rusher; M.Spears is a very good D-lineman who can play DT as well as DE, but I like him more as a DT than as a pure pass-rusher; D.Cody, D.Tuck, D.Pollack, and M.Roth are "high motor" types who are very similar to Schobel and Kelsay. The one guy who MIGHT develop into the kind of pure pass-rushing DE that I think you are talking about is D.Ware out of Troy St.: 6'4" 251, 4.56 speed--apparently he has impressed a lot of scouts, but, coming out of a small, D-1AA program, he is still very raw and has not played against top competition. He has the physical tools, but it's hard to say whether he can play on the highest level right away. He could be a star, or a project, or a bust (like I.Hampton last year).

With the Bills' other needs, I don't think that there is a DE that the Bills would spend a pick on in this draft--not when there is a raw talent like M.Jones who could help the offense, or some good Centers who can be developed to replace T.Teague, or decent DTs, CBs or other O-linemen that might be available to fill other needs that the team has. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
                        Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• ryjam282
                          Offical Billszone Starting QB
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Devin

Yes Devin, that was a good article. Talking about how we got him at a fair price. He would have got so much money had he left. I mean if Jennings can get that much, just imagine what a good young DE could have received..

Ryan Withey
                          Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                            • Mar 2004

Schobel had 100 tackles at the DE spot. That should speak for itself.

Comment

Working...
                            X