PDA

View Full Version : GOOD NEWS! TD finally realizes the importance of a Great Center!!

BuffaloRanger
04-08-2005, 12:11 AM
"You can't play anymore with just some grunt guy at center," acknowledged Buffalo Bills general manager Tom Donahoe. "The defenses, especially with all the 3-4 fronts now, are too complex. Play a team like New England, with all the movement they do, and you better have a center with great recognitions skills or you won't have a chance. All over the league, we're seeing a lot better player, a lot better athlete, at center now."

In fact, Donahoe's center, Trey Teague, is a good example of how the position has evolved. The seven-year veteran began his career as a left tackle in Denver, then moved to center when he signed with the Bills in 2002 as an unrestricted free agent. Now three years later, if Buffalo can't acquire a left tackle to replace Jonas Jennings, who defected to San Francisco in free agency, Teague is the top candidate to fill the vacancy.

It would have been anathema, just a few years ago, to even suggest that the skills set for the two polar positions could be merged. But that is reflective of how some teams now view the significance of having a standout athlete, a guy whose brawling skills somehow have combined with solid athleticism.

Article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2031889&num=0)

Sportsuser101
04-08-2005, 01:28 AM
Teague is a good center.

ryjam282
04-08-2005, 06:36 AM
I agree, he is decent. He won't be going to any pro bowls there but none the less he is solid. He has gotten a lot better under McNally.

Jan Reimers
04-08-2005, 06:57 AM
I wouldn't move Teague to LT. We would effectively have "new" guys at two positions, along with a third, Bennie Anderson, probably moving into the starting LG job. I'm for preserving as much continuity as possible.

Let's rebuild the left side with Shelton and Anderson, and leave the middle and right side alone.

Forward_Lateral
04-08-2005, 07:09 AM
I think that Teague was horrible 2 years ago, last year he improved 10 fold and has become an avg NFL center. I think we probably have McNally to thank for that. I am fine with Trey as our C. Tucker isn't too bad either.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-08-2005, 07:46 AM
I feel like we are pretty strong at center with Teague starting and Tucker backing up.

I think next year Teague is gone and Tucker takes over....maybe we draft a center in the later rounds this year.

justasportsfan
04-08-2005, 07:55 AM
To the college football experts: How would you rate Baas compared to Grove ? :idunno:

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-08-2005, 08:06 AM
To the college football experts: How would you rate Baas compared to Grove ? :idunno:

I am not an expert by any means, but I do watch quite a few of the Michigan State games (our home town boy Jehuu Caulcrick is a freshman RB for the Spartans). I have to say that Baas does stand out greatly from the rest of the linemen on the field....he just moves and reacts like an NFL lineman. I think he will be a very solid NFL player. Overall though, I think Jake Grove is a far superior center. Grove was a solid center in his first year. I don't think Baas could be a solid center right away. At guard he could start right away, but I don't think he is at the same level as Grove coming out of college.

justasportsfan
04-08-2005, 08:18 AM
I am not an expert by any means, but I do watch quite a few of the Michigan State games (our home town boy Jehuu Caulcrick is a freshman RB for the Spartans). I have to say that Baas does stand out greatly from the rest of the linemen on the field....he just moves and reacts like an NFL lineman. I think he will be a very solid NFL player. Overall though, I think Jake Grove is a far superior center. Grove was a solid center in his first year. I don't think Baas could be a solid center right away. At guard he could start right away, but I don't think he is at the same level as Grove coming out of college.I was thinking that especially since Grove was picked in the 2nd rd. in a far more superior draft class.

BuffaloRanger
04-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Teague gets dominated by NTs! How do you not see that? No push up the middle. No big runs up the middle. Henry is not the kinda RB that can break it outside. He is a pound it up the middle RB. But last year, suddenly the Bills couldn't run up the middle for the first 4 games. Did Henry lose his ability OR was the interior line dominated by very good Dlines?

McGahee made the line look good against very average Dlines. But he still got tackled for loses behind the LOS on up the middle runs. He made his biggest gains to the outside.

BuffaloRanger
04-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Did Grove play alot of Center for the Raiders? I thought they used him mainly at guard.

BuffaloRanger
04-08-2005, 10:36 AM
McNally has talked to that Center from SUNY Albany, Gier Gundmundson (sp) and his coach. He could be a late round/ undrafted guy.

Teague/Tucker is very, very, average combo. Wouldn't it be nice to have a strong interior?

ShadowHawk7
04-08-2005, 11:58 AM
I agree, he is decent. He won't be going to any pro bowls there but none the less he is solid. He has gotten a lot better under McNally.

Agreed, and unless Baas is there, whenever we pick, I would pick a C till at least day 2.

Mr. Cynical
04-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Teague is barely a starting C, and gave up 11.25 sacks the last time he played LT. This is what infuriates me about TD. He can do so many good things (WM, LE, Spikes, etc.) but then turn around and make statements like this to cover his ass. He made a mistake with TT and wants to "force" it as if it is a good move. Same deal with Drew. He needs to accept that TT is an average center and try to upgrade it rather than try to convince the public that he is the right guy for the job.

mysticsoto
04-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Teague is barely a starting C, and gave up 11.25 sacks the last time he played LT. This is what infuriates me about TD. He can do so many good things (WM, LE, Spikes, etc.) but then turn around and make statements like this to cover his ass. He made a mistake with TT and wants to "force" it as if it is a good move. Same deal with Drew. He needs to accept that TT is an average center and try to upgrade it rather than try to convince the public that he is the right guy for the job.
Well...anything can happen between now and the start of the season. I personally also agree that TT is only adequate and not superb at Center. He does read well and pull well, but just doesn't have the size and strength that you want a Center to have if you want to run up the middle. For this reason, I'd like them to pick up a strong Center like Brown or Incognito. Baas would be great also, but probably won't be available - and due to his inexperience at Center - may not even start, even if we got him. Teams like the Patriots would have a field day with a rookie Center and confuse the hell out of him. Spencer and maybe Wilkerson are probably the only Centers that could start immediately...

Mr. Cynical
04-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Well...anything can happen between now and the start of the season. I personally also agree that TT is only adequate and not superb at Center. He does read well and pull well, but just doesn't have the size and strength that you want a Center to have if you want to run up the middle. For this reason, I'd like them to pick up a strong Center like Brown or Incognito. Baas would be great also, but probably won't be available - and due to his inexperience at Center - may not even start, even if we got him. Teams like the Patriots would have a field day with a rookie Center and confuse the hell out of him. Spencer and maybe Wilkerson are probably the only Centers that could start immediately...
:hi5:

jamze132
04-08-2005, 06:25 PM
I like Tucker. I think he could be a starter ans should be.

HurryUpTom
04-08-2005, 06:31 PM
I like Tucker. I think he could be a starter ans should be.
I've never understood most fans fascination with Tucker. He's a backup. A better than average backup, but a backup nonetheless.

It's just like all the people that said Price could be our starting LT this season. Most teams have a backup just like these guys that can pop in and out for a few games at a time and maybe not do horribly ... but they really aren't starting calibre on anywhere near decent lines.