PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Thomas as Backup to McGahee

Spielmanrules54
04-08-2005, 11:19 AM
What's everybody's thought on this guy... I know his production has fallen off sharply over the last couple years, but he's playing for an awful Bears team. I think we can get him for cheap and would be a solid backup to McGahee. I have to admit I'm not comfortable going into the season without a experienced backup to McGahee... still worried about his leg. Thomas has a couple of 1,000 yard plus seasons and has been a starter for 3 out of his 4 years with the Bears.

gr8slayer
04-08-2005, 11:30 AM
He is just another Ki-Jana Carter. All hype no skill.

Spielmanrules54
04-08-2005, 11:43 AM
I didn't know Ki-Jana Carter had ANY productive seasons in the NFL... at least Thomas does.

gr8slayer
04-08-2005, 11:44 AM
I didn't know Ki-Jana Carter had ANY productive seasons in the NFL... at least Thomas does.If his two 1000 yard season is what you call a productive back then I worry about you.

There is a reason why he is now a back up and did not have any more 1000 yard seasons.

Spielmanrules54
04-08-2005, 11:49 AM
He's got 2 1,000 yard seasons

Spielmanrules54
04-08-2005, 11:51 AM
and remember this is with the BEARS... i'm not saying he's gonna challenge McGahee, but a solid backup... i think so

gr8slayer
04-08-2005, 11:51 AM
He's got 2 1,000 yard seasonsI corrected myself.

gr8slayer
04-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Do keep in mind that even the worst of RB's gain 1000 yards in a season. It is not a huge accomplishment to gain 1000 anymore like it used to be.

1000 yards in a season isnt even 100 yards a game.

gr8slayer
04-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Anyway, if he would agree to come in for very little money then bring him in but judging from what I have been reading he wants quite a bit of cash.

Spielmanrules54
04-08-2005, 11:58 AM
I agree with you there... only if we can get him for cheap... I think his asking price will drop when he's sittin on his ass for awhile... If he thinks he's starting material... he's kidding himself

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-08-2005, 11:58 AM
I have to say that I don't think it is fair to put Ki-Jana Karter as a complete failure with no skills. The guy destroyed his knee. It wasn't like he came into the league and absolutely sucked like Blair Thomas.

ParanoidAndroid
04-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Some think, including him, that he can compete for a starting job somewhere. I'm not so sure, but I'm thinking he wants to go somewhere that doesn't have an elite-type back like McGahee. He had a couple of good games last year trying to get his job back from Thomas Jones. I'd actually rather have Hearst as a 3rd down back.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-08-2005, 02:20 PM
I agree with you there... only if we can get him for cheap... I think his asking price will drop when he's sittin on his ass for awhile... If he thinks he's starting material... he's kidding himself
I like him--but only if we can get him for cheap. The problem is that he really wants to be a starter and believes that he can be--so, yeah, he's kidding himself. Maybe sitting on his butt without even getting an offer from anyone will get him to change his mind and drop his price, but it hasn't so far.

I picked up Thomas as a fill-in for my FFL team last season and did a little research on him and this is pretty much what I found out about him: Thomas is a hard runner; he's got decent straight-line speed, but he's not particularly quick or shifty and he's not a particularly good receiver out of the backfield. If he gets to the corner, he is capable of breaking off long runs (he had a very long TD against the NY Giants last season), but has some problems getting to the corners. The Bears, who are committed to running a version of the WCO, felt that he was a liability in their offense because they felt that they had to limit their play selection when he was in games--primarily because he is not a very good pass receiver and is only an adequate blocker. However, he is a pretty good runner when he gets the chance to run between the tackles and off-tackle--in short, he is a power-runner--as evidenced by the fact that he put up at least 100 yards rushing and scored at least one TD in the games that he started for the Bears last season.

In many ways, A.Thomas is quite similar to T.Henry: he's a bit bigger and, perhaps, half a step faster than Henry, but isn't as good of a pass receiver (although Henry wasn't used that much as a receiver or all that great of one, either, especially when he first started with the Bills); both of them are hard runners who seem to look for contact and get most of their yards between the tackles; neither of them can be considered "home-run hitters", although Thomas has broken off some long TD runs from time to time, so they both have their limitations.

While Thomas was not a "fit" in the Chicago offensive scheme, his limitations would be less of a problem in the power running offense that the Bills use--he can do pretty much the same things as T.Henry did for the Bills, except as a pass receiver. What he would give the Bills as a back-up to W.McGahee would be a strong, power runner who could spell Willis when the Willis needs a break and the Bills want to keep pounding the ball and get the tough yards on the goal-line that Shaud Williams is simply too small to get. I would not discount the 2 1,000 yard seasons that he had with the Bears because those yards were gained for a team that had virtually no passing game (no QB and virtually no WRs) that opponents regularly stacked their defenses up to stop the run against because they knew the Bears' passing game posed little threat. While I wouldn't go so far as to say that Thomas is as good as Henry, he has been kind of a "poor man's version" of Henry, certainly good enough to be a decent back-up to W.McGahee if the Bills are able to trade T.Henry. His main weakness is lack of outside speed, shiftiness and as a pass-receiver--all of which are things that Shaud Williams can provide in abundance. IMHO, a combination of A.Thomas and S.Williams as back-ups to W.McGahee would give the Bills everything that they would get from T.Henry and, perhaps, more in that role.

If the Bills choose to sign a vet FA RB, rather than take a larger RB in the middle rounds of the draft, I would prefer to see them take Thomas over any of the others who are available--if, and only if, he could be signed cheap and would be willing to come in as a back-up and not complain about playing time. IMHO, the Bills do not need a "third down, change of pace" back, like a G.Hearst, because they already have one in S.Williams. They need a hard runner who can spell Willis in the power running game and get the tough yards on the goal-line as his back-up that S.Williams can't--and, in my view, A.Thomas is the best of the available vet FA RBs to fill that role.

But, then again, that's just my opinion.

Spielmanrules54
04-08-2005, 02:29 PM
I like him--but only if we can get him for cheap. The problem is that he really wants to be a starter and believes that he can be--so, yeah, he's kidding himself. Maybe sitting on his butt without even getting an offer from anyone will get him to change his mind and drop his price, but it hasn't so far.

I picked up Thomas as a fill-in for my FFL team last season and did a little research on him and this is pretty much what I found out about him: Thomas is a hard runner; he's got decent straight-line speed, but he's not particularly quick or shifty and he's not a particularly good receiver out of the backfield. If he gets to the corner, he is capable of breaking off long runs (he had a very long TD against the NY Giants last season), but has some problems getting to the corners. The Bears, who are committed to running a version of the WCO, felt that he was a liability in their offense because they felt that they had to limit their play selection when he was in games--primarily because he is not a very good pass receiver and is only an adequate blocker. However, he is a pretty good runner when he gets the chance to run between the tackles and off-tackle--in short, he is a power-runner--as evidenced by the fact that he put up at least 100 yards rushing and scored at least one TD in the games that he started for the Bears last season.

In many ways, A.Thomas is quite similar to T.Henry: he's a bit bigger and, perhaps, half a step faster than Henry, but isn't as good of a pass receiver (although Henry wasn't used that much as a receiver or all that great of one, either, especially when he first started with the Bills); both of them are hard runners who seem to look for contact and get most of their yards between the tackles; neither of them can be considered "home-run hitters", although Thomas has broken off some long TD runs from time to time, so they both have their limitations.

While Thomas was not a "fit" in the Chicago offensive scheme, his limitations would be less of a problem in the power running offense that the Bills use--he can do pretty much the same things as T.Henry did for the Bills, except as a pass receiver. What he would give the Bills as a back-up to W.McGahee would be a strong, power runner who could spell Willis when the Willis needs a break and the Bills want to keep pounding the ball and get the tough yards on the goal-line that Shaud Williams is simply too small to get. I would not discount the 2 1,000 yard seasons that he had with the Bears because those yards were gained for a team that had virtually no passing game (no QB and virtually no WRs) that opponents regularly stacked their defenses up to stop the run against because they knew the Bears' passing game posed little threat. While I wouldn't go so far as to say that Thomas is as good as Henry, he has been kind of a "poor man's version" of Henry, certainly good enough to be a decent back-up to W.McGahee if the Bills are able to trade T.Henry. His main weakness is lack of outside speed, shiftiness and as a pass-receiver--all of which are things that Shaud Williams can provide in abundance. IMHO, a combination of A.Thomas and S.Williams as back-ups to W.McGahee would give the Bills everything that they would get from T.Henry and, perhaps, more in that role.

If the Bills choose to sign a vet FA RB, rather than take a larger RB in the middle rounds of the draft, I would prefer to see them take Thomas over any of the others who are available--if, and only if, he could be signed cheap and would be willing to come in as a back-up and not complain about playing time. IMHO, the Bills do not need a "third down, change of pace" back, like a G.Hearst, because they already have one in S.Williams. They need a hard runner who can spell Willis in the power running game and get the tough yards on the goal-line as his back-up that S.Williams can't--and, in my view, A.Thomas is the best of the available vet FA RBs to fill that role.

But, then again, that's just my opinion.
Thank you very much!! This is the first thread I started and I appreciate your input on it. He may get scooped up by someone who needs a starter if they're left holding the bag after the draft and everything. I like your idea about the combo of Thomas and S. Williams... I'm actually hopin that Shaud can develop and be "The Man" behind McGahee, but he's too unproven and I'm still worried about McGahee's overall durability

Jan Reimers
04-08-2005, 03:23 PM
He's younger and more productive than Garrison (Ready For The) Hearse, whom many want to see in a Bills uni. I think Hearst had a whopping 81 yards rushing last season. I saw Thomas play in college and he was a tough, physical back.

thebuffalobills4
04-09-2005, 09:08 AM
in my opinion,i would give s.williams a chance.this dude is a great relable back up.

Slim
04-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Do keep in mind that even the worst of RB's gain 1000 yards in a season. It is not a huge accomplishment to gain 1000 anymore like it used to be.

1000 yards in a season isnt even 100 yards a game.

i see your point BUT one in one his 1,000 yard seasons he started just 13 games, and averaged 4.2 per carry. If he would of started all 16 games that year he would of had a good chance a becoming a probowler. If we could pick him up for cheap id like to have him. Although i do like Shaud Williams.

Mr.Reality
04-09-2005, 05:21 PM
If Thomas didn't mind being a backup, he'd be a great pickup. He's a productive running back. He's not blazing fast, but he can catch, and he manages to grind out yards. It can't be easy getting yards on a Bear team when nobody has to worry much about the pass.

Bert102176
04-09-2005, 06:32 PM
he reminds me of Kenneth Davis, and would like him here

The_Philster
04-09-2005, 07:18 PM

I have to say that I don't think it is fair to put Ki-Jana Karter as a complete failure with no skills. The guy destroyed his knee. It wasn't like he came into the league and absolutely sucked like Blair Thomas.Couldn't agree more. Watching him play his senior season at PSU, I'd say he could've had a solid career as a Thurman Thomas-like RB if not for the injuries. I still remember cordog screaming at him at the Bengals game in 96 :laughter:

Charlieguide
04-09-2005, 10:46 PM
I like AT as a starter somewhere. He can make a legitamately argue that he's starting material, and the point has been made here: he's proven himself when given the opportunity, but the bears rarely gave one. Too many teams need a solid RB for him not to be considered an asset worth obtaining.

TigerJ
04-09-2005, 10:55 PM
If he comes cheap and doesn't mind being a backup, he'd be OK. To be honest, I'm not too worried about who is my backuprunning back. There are bigger holes to worry about.

Meathead
04-10-2005, 06:15 AM
I must respectfully disagree.

A backup RB is probably the most important backup on the team.

1. Most starting RBs miss at least 1-2 games a season. The backup has to be reasonably effective as a starter during those games to keep a playoff push alive. Remember how bad Joe Burns sucks when he got his starting opportunity? Couldn't get 2 yards per rush.

2. Backup RBs get carries every game - starting RBs need to have short rests. Also, if you run your starter too much they get worn out and are banged up in the playoffs or you lose years from their career. A good backup is often an important part of a championship team and can extend the career of a marquee back.

3. A good backup can add another dimension to a team. If the backup is decent and has a style different from the starter he can force the defense to plan for him, adding complexity to their weekly preparation. Consider Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett - if one guy isn’t working they just bring in the other guy.

I’m afraid I have no confidence right now that either Burns or Williams can be that guy. Backup RB is at least as important as any of the other holes we have.

Bert102176
04-10-2005, 04:48 PM
I think it would be a good Idea to bring him in, A) he knows he wouldn't be the starter
B) he isn't that old C) he has shown moments of being a really good RB