X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nublar7
    • Oct 2004

ESPN: Shelton/Henry swap may not happen now

Five or six WRs will be selected in the first round and most of them won't make much of an impact as rookies.

Don't you just hate flip-floppers? Yeah, us, too, except when we are forced to reverse positions on an issue. Like the much discussed trade of Buffalo Bills disgruntled tailback Travis Henry to the Arizona Cardinals for left offensive tackle L.J.Shelton, who clearly has fallen out of favor with coach Dennis Green and his staff. We reported in this space two weeks ago that the swap would almost certainly occur before the draft.

And now? We're not so sure. For one thing, upon further inspection, the Buffalo staff isn't nearly as enamored of Shelton as it once appeared to be. There are some Bills coaches who feel that Shelton would not be a starter in Buffalo, and that he probably would serve only as the team's No. 6 offensive lineman. That means, barring an unexpected event, the Bills plan to move starting center Trey Teague to left tackle, the position he played early in his career, with the Denver Broncos. It also probably means there will not be a straight player-for-player swap between the Bills and the Cardinals. The Bills still feel they need to get something more in return for Henry, a two-time 1,000-yard rusher, who lost his starting job to Willis McGahee last season, and who has vowed he will never again play in a Bills uniform.

So if Henry isn't shipped off to Arizona, where does he go? Maybe back to the Bills, who certainly can afford to keep him, especially with a palatable base salary of $1.25 million. Sure, there would have to be some fences mended for Henry to play in Buffalo again. But the rhetoric and posturing of March and April, such as that done by Henry a couple weeks ago, typically is long forgotten [and forgiven] when teams start doling out paychecks.

There also is the possibility that Buffalo could find a trade partner other than Arizona, and that notion isn't so far-fetched. A few other clubs have contacted Bills general manager Tom Donahoe and, while none has yet to approximate the ardor of the Cardinals, plenty can happen before the draft. Do not discount teams such as Tampa Bay, Seattle (if the Seahawks suddenly found a buyer for "franchise" tailback Shaun Alexander), Houston and Minnesota as potential suitors.

• Romes
    • Jul 2002

The draft needs to come soon so we can finally know what is happening with this team, our LT and Henry!
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

if the bills dont feel that shelton is good enough.. then dont get him.. simple as that.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• HurryUpTom
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
        if the bills dont feel that shelton is good enough.. then dont get him.. simple as that.
        If the bills don't feel he can start ... then I agree. But if is good enough to start and we don't do the deal because we don't get to move up in the draft ... then I disagree. I'd much rather have a starting OL for a few years than a (hopefully) backup RB for one.

Comment

• jpdex12
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Romes

The draft needs to come soon so we can finally know what is happening with this team, our LT and Henry!
          There's nothing we can do but WAIT. I don't believe anything anymore.
          Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• DynaPaul
            • Sep 2003

I think this is a fluff story generated by TD as leverage.

Comment

• jamze132
              Don’t hate…
              • Jun 2003

I agree! I am almost positive that if Mcnally had the faith that he could turn Shelton's career around, he would already be on our roster.

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DevilPaul
                I think this is a fluff story generated by TD as leverage.
                I wouldn't be surprised.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
                  I wouldn't be surprised.
                  Me either. It happens all the time. Agents and general managers do it almost monthly.
                  Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Nublar7
                    • Oct 2004

Why do you guys keep giving me negative rep points when all I did was post the ESPN story? Just because I am a Dolphins fan doesn't mean I deserve this.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Nublar7
                      Why do you guys keep giving me negative rep points when all I did was post the ESPN story? Just because I am a Dolphins fan doesn't mean I deserve this.

pos rep coming.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• gobuffalo2007
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

Nobody worry TD knows what he is doing he has something planed out.

Comment

• Bulldog
                          Top Dog
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Nublar7
                          I was your tone! Negged
                          I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

the bills are holding out for more obviously.. so they are basically saying that if we have to keep henry and draft someone, we will be fine.. and i am ok with that.

if we do get shelton.. it will be on our terms.. and it will be cause mcnally and the bills wanted him.. now i dont necessarily think that the fact that we havent traded for him means that mcnally doesnt like him.. mcnally can say he likes him.. but if the coach and td feel the trade isnt even for what they value henry at.. then they wont do it..

it will be interested.. but i am pretty much over all the crap.. either we get him or we dont.. and i really dont want to hear anything else about it till it is final.

Comment

• Nublar7
                              • Oct 2004

pos rep coming.
                              Thank you. I appriciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X