• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Host
    Banned
    • Jul 2002

RUMOR: Washington Redsucks interested in Clements

04/10...One HOT Rumor to report today centers around the Washington Redskins...the Redskins who own the Drafts ninth pick overall are reportedly considering making a move to strengthen the team's CB position before the Draft in two weeks...the team reportedly would feel more confident in a veteran starting Corner over one of the upcoming Drafts top rookie prospects...the Redskins reportedly could become a "player" in the Patrick Surtain sweepstakes and trump the Chiefs offer to the Dolphins for Surtain...however...the veteran Corner that the Redskins reportedly covet is Bills CB Nate Clements...Clements has one year left on his existing contract and will become an unrestricted Free Agent at the end of the 2005 season unless Clements and the Bills can work out a deal before then...it's highly unlikely since Clements will be looking to be paid as the highest rated Corner to hit the market in Free Agency which will include a hefty signing bonus...Bills GM Tom Donahoe has a history of not over spending on a player for the sake of his teams Cap....the Bills don't own a First Round pick in the upcoming Draft because it was sent to Dallas as part of the 2004 Draft day trade which enabled the team to land their QB of the future J.P. Losman...Redskins Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams drafted Clements in the first round in 2001 in Williams first year as the Bills Head Coach

Haven't seen it at any reliable sources.
    Make sure you turn off images from the horribly designed site; it looks like some signatures.

Personally I discount the story completely AND I do not want a top 10 pick - top ten picks cost too much - but IF it is true and Donahoe can milk $nyder, someone who definitely loses in a battle of wits with Tom, for the first round pick and a pick next year and can find a trading partner I am ok with that - Clements is not likely to be here next year. Donahoe can make an offer to extend Clements and if he does a Winfield and shows no interest in staying, trade him for all they can get. Maybe they can throw in Lawyer and get 2nd and 3rd pick as well.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

If they can rob the Redskins blind and offer the Bills a chance to get Washington's 1st rounder this year and next year, or maybe another pick from this year...then I'd say go for it. But first, I want TD to do everything possible to try to keep Clements here long term like they did with Schobel. Try to get him locked up before the draft. If it doesn't work...dangle him out there.

Comment

• kevinj22
      • Feb 2005

It would be great if we can keep Nate, but reality is we won't be able to. If we can get a 1st this year and next then you do it. I would definitely field any offers that come our way for Nate. I hate letting players just walk out the door. Letting Bledsoe walk for nothing is one thing, but don't let Clements do the same.

Comment

• Nighthawk
        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
        • Jul 2002

If this is true (I have hunch it isn't), I say get all you can. The likely hood of the Bills keeping Clements seems small, so get something when he has the most value. Remember last year, man what we could have got for Henry then...we waited too long and now are having trouble moving him. When there is value, move a player, especially if you think you're going to lose him for nothing to free agency. A first rounder this year and next would be really nice.

Comment

• jamze132
          • Jun 2003

To be honest, I would rather us trade Clements now and be SURE of what we get in return. There is no guaruntee that he will or will not be here next season. I say take the guess work out. If the Redskins wanna give us the 9th overall pick and maybe a 3rd rounder, I say do it and do it now. We can then get one of the top O lineman OR a top corner in the draft. The price of signing a top 10 pick will be way less than signing Clements. And then we can pick up Nugent in the 2nd round.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
            • Feb 2005

It would open the door to many possibilities.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

1st this year, 2nd next year....

WITH THE 9th OVERALL PICK THE BUFFALO BILLS SELECT CB ANTRELL ROLLE

Now that would be awesome
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Dump him while you can, but he's worth a first and second this year or firsts both this and next, IMO.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Quebecer
                  • Jan 2003

What about NC for Chris Samuels + their 2nd rounder this year?
                  With their #2 we select CB, McFadden + we have our own second...

Later,
                  Pat
                  "Thinking is the hardest thing there is, that's why so few engage in it!"

"Between stimulus and response there is a space.
                  In that space lies our freedom and power to choose our response.
                  In those choices lie our growth and our hapiness."

"If you don't take care of your health now, you will undoubtly have to deal with your illness later!"

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Quebecer
                    What about NC for Chris Samuels + their 2nd rounder this year?
                    With their #2 we select CB, McFadden + we have our own second...

Later,
                    Pat
                    And then we could get a 3rd or 4th rounder for Henry.

Comment

• Devin
                      The Octagon
                      • Apr 2003

While id hate to see Clements go I just dont see us being able to keep him next season. He will get a monster deal somewhere and he is worth top dollar.

If we got a sweet enough deal for him I wouldnt mind seeing a trade. This years first and 2nd, or this years first and next years second. Although he is a premier CB so two firsts wouldnt be totally out of the question either.

If that happened id drop Henry for a 3rd rounder or Shelton.
                      http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• AndreReed83
                        Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
                        • Mar 2004

Nate is worth at least two 1st rounders in my opinion. Anything less is a bad trade on our part. And this is kind of off topic, but if we don't resign him, I'll be pissed.... But if Donahue pulls that don't even TRY to sign him crap that he did to Pat and JJ, then I'm all for TD getting fired.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
                        "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                          Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                          1st this year, 2nd next year....

WITH THE 9th OVERALL PICK THE BUFFALO BILLS SELECT CB ANTRELL ROLLE

Now that would be awesome

Highly, highly doubt he would last that long however.
                          "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                          -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• whkfc
                            Theres Fast Food, Then Theres KFC
                            • May 2003

We could always franchise Clements next season. Then trade his rights.

Comment

• Pride
                              • Jul 2002

I believe Clements is overrated, so letting him go is just fine with me. He is all hot dog, and not enough mustard!

take the first and a conditional pick next year.. I am cool with that.

then draft a stud DE, and go CB in 2nd round.

that is assuming we get our OL taken care of prior to the draft.

Comment

Working...
                              X