PDA

View Full Version : Former Maple Leafs player dies following head injury in charity game

Don Cherry
12-10-2002, 08:30 PM
Dec 10, 2002

TORONTO (AP) -- Les Costello, the former Toronto Maple Leafs player who left the NHL to become a priest, died Tuesday after being injured during a charity hockey game. He was 74.

Costello was admitted to Toronto's St. Michael's Hospital last week after sustaining a head injury during a Flying Fathers game in Waterloo, Ontario. Costello sat out the team's game the following night and said he wasn't feeling well.

MORE (http://nhl.com/onthefly/news/68637.html)

Sabre Ally
12-10-2002, 09:28 PM
How weird. You'd think he'd know enough to wear a helmet.

BillC
12-10-2002, 09:30 PM
Where did it say he wasn't wearing the helmet?

Valerie
12-11-2002, 07:08 AM
Gosh, that's awful. :( It's amazing that there are men who have regular lives for a good part of their lives and then decide, later in life, to become priests. That's kind of a cool thing for priests to do to raise money for charities. I'm sure he's with God now. :pray:

Sabre Ally
12-11-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by BillC
Where did it say he wasn't wearing the helmet?

Oh, it was in the Yahoo story (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news/ap/20021211/ap-obit-costello.html)

Costello was admitted to Toronto's St. Michael's Hospital last week after sustaining a head injury during a Flying Fathers game.
He was injured when a puck got caught in his skates during the pregame warmups, causing him to fall backward and hit his head on the ice. Costello was not wearing a helmet.

Earthquake Enyart
12-11-2002, 01:58 PM
A Flying Father's game??? :gag:

northernbillfan
12-11-2002, 02:10 PM
They were taking on the Flying Nuns, but couldn't score...because...well they are nuns!

BironsGirl43
12-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Awww poor guy! My condolenses go out to his family...

Ð
12-11-2002, 04:05 PM
Wow, that's really spooky...

The Flying Fathers were here in North Bay last winter and my daughter's (tyke, 5 & 6 yr old) hockey team actually played @ 3 minutes against them as part of the charity game, so I was on the Father's bench for 2 of 3 periods.

I remember Father Costello specifically from that game, as he was probably one of the oldest hockey players I've ever seen strap 'em on. He played 1 or 2 shifts each period...a little shaky on the ice, but able to hold up well for a 73 yr old. The girls just loved him, as he entertained them on the bench.

My condolences to his family...

ticatfan
12-11-2002, 04:09 PM
They played here many times,I have met him a few times,a really nice man.A lad from here plays on the flying fathers.